cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold Laptop. Shipped with USPS. Buyer claims to have received something different. Package refused.

I've been selling laptops on eBay for the past 3 years, have had little to no problems in doing so. But the strangest of things appears to have happened. Let me try to explain the best I can.

I sold a laptop on the 17th of May. I shipped it using USPS Priority Mail on the 20th. It is now the 29th of May, and I have received a message from the buyer:

"package arrived opened. containing a truck part not a computer part. had markings all over it from ALERTS u.s. post office and POSTMASTER. the postal carrier showed it to me and then left with it. IT WAS NOT DELIVERED. what was in the package was not what was ordered ."

First off, the buyer should have received the package no later than the 23rd. I checked the tracking, and sure enough it arrived on the 29th.

But the bigger concern I have is what the buyer claims to have received and what was refused. I shipped a laptop to him and he claims to have received a truck park? What?? Not only that, but the buyer also claims that the packaged arrived opened and had markings/alerts all over it (as if something illegal was sent in the package).

What the heck is going on and what should I do? USPS tracking states that the package was refused and is being returned to the sender.  How to I reply to the message that the buyer sent? Should I refund? Should I wait and see what is (supposedly) being sent to me before refunding?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sold Laptop. Shipped with USPS. Buyer claims to have received something different. Package refused.

gopetersen
Rockstar

If the box arrives all taped up without USPS markers/alerts, then he's making it up.

If there are no alerts, just a taped up box, he probably opened it, substituted, closed it and wrote refused on it to send it back to you.

However, if there are USPS alert messages, then something probably happened to the package before it reached the buyer. It either wasn't packaged securely enough, came open and someone tampered with it, OR it was unlawfully opened and someone tampered with it (and maybe didn't seal it up again well enough).

It's difficult to know what happened without seeing the box but if it's been tampered with, you can report it to USPS. Depending how you bought the label, Priority Mail is automatically insured for $50 or $100.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If the buyer refused the package, and the tracking states such, do NOTHING until you get that package back into your hands. The buyer actually voided their MBG coverage if they did refuse it.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

If the buyer refused the package, and the tracking states such, do NOTHING until you get that package back into your hands. The buyer actually voided their MBG coverage if they did refuse it.

--------------

THIS!!!! 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Generally, the buyer is responsible for accepting the item when it arrives. If the buyer refuses delivery, their claim is not eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Exceptions:

• The buyer can provide, via written proof from the carrier, that they refused the package because it arrived empty or was damaged in shipping
  • The buyer accepted and opened the package only to determine that it was an empty box
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

If the box arrives all taped up without USPS markers/alerts, then he's making it up.

If there are no alerts, just a taped up box, he probably opened it, substituted, closed it and wrote refused on it to send it back to you.

However, if there are USPS alert messages, then something probably happened to the package before it reached the buyer. It either wasn't packaged securely enough, came open and someone tampered with it, OR it was unlawfully opened and someone tampered with it (and maybe didn't seal it up again well enough).

It's difficult to know what happened without seeing the box but if it's been tampered with, you can report it to USPS. Depending how you bought the label, Priority Mail is automatically insured for $50 or $100.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Goto USPS.com and enter your tracking number and tell us what does tracking show.      DO NOT POST YOUR TRACKING NUMBER ON THIS BOARD.  

Does it show refused?

Does it show delivered?

Is it en-route back to you?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply