cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Key has arrived. Will eBay follow suit?

Frankly, I refuse to let any carrier do this, but over all, do you folks think ebay should and will do the same?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/25/16538834/amazon-key-in-home-delivery-unlock-door-prime-cloud-cam...

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Amazon Key has arrived. Will eBay follow suit?

daksgirl4 wrote: 
I think they are still doing the drones too

I think in some areas the temptation for target practice would be overwhelming... especially in cases where some annoying neighbor is getting daily deliveries... Smiley Happy

Message 46 of 59
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

daksgirl4 wrote: 

I think in some areas the temptation for target practice would be overwhelming... especially in cases where some annoying neighbor is getting daily deliveries... Smiley Happy

Smiley Very Happy

Message 47 of 59
latest reply

So I'll be the crazy one here but I kind of like this idea.  With my neighborhood I try to schedule my prime shipments for when I'll be home but there ar occasions where I'm gone and wish it could be here when I got back but I don't trust things left outside my door.  It would be really great if it worked for the subscribe and save stuff because that is delivered at random times.   They would be on camera and it's a one time passcode.  So meh I might trust that more than leaving a package out 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 48 of 59
latest reply

Wait until this happens.

Joe & Diane buy something on Amazon

Diane goes to work and Joe stays home sick.

Diane has Amazon key deliever a package, Joe doesn't know Amazon is coming.

Joe gets out his AR15 and guess what happens to Mr. Amazon?

Message 49 of 59
latest reply

@daksgirl4 wrote:

@johnfduda wrote:

Does this new scheme mean that Amazon has given up on the Drone scheme???

What do you think??

Recent changes to the FAA regulations require a drone operator to have line-of-sight to his drone at all times.

I do not think Amazon is using drones for delivery in the USA- and I doubt they ever will unless those regulations change. 

Message 50 of 59
latest reply

@z50com wrote:

Diane has Amazon key deliever a package, Joe doesn't know Amazon is coming.

Joe gets out his AR15 and guess what happens to Mr. Amazon?

Technically, they're supposed to knock or ring the doorbell first, even if they have the means to access the place, in case someone is home after all.

Of course, Joe might not reach the front door in time if he has to go and retrieve the ammunition for his AR-15 first, which, as a conscientious gun owner, he stores locked away separate from its ammunition, so he'd finally get within range of the front door just as it's opening by itself... 

Realistically, I think the circumstances under which this delivery method would actually be used and work properly are so narrowly defined that, at best, it will chug along as a low-level technological novelty for a year or two before being quietly dropped in favor of the next shiny thing to come along. 

Message 51 of 59
latest reply

@daksgirl4 wrote:

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
Since eBay does not handle any merchandise, no -- there's nothing to deliver.

Personally, I was horrified this morning to hear this story on the news. You think porch pirates are bad now; just think of the possibilities of Amazon drivers being accosted while the door is unlocked! Or of a driver just wandering through an unoccupied house -- which can happen even when the initial entry is viewed on-camera.

I doubt this Amazon Prime "benefit" will succeed, especially in cities. Secured apartment and condo complexes would never allow an entry to be unlocked by a random person carrying a package. Individual apartment tenants would not be able to change locks or set up a surveillance camera.

In my experience, Amazon drivers use their personal vehicles, do not wear uniforms and do not carry ID identifying them as Amazon employees. Furthermore, when they gain entry, they do not simply leave the package in the mailbox area -- they walk through the building to the actual apartment and dump the package in the hallway.

~~C~~

Ebay does have a seller who acts as the Ebay Valet store, so that could be a possibility.

Over all tho, even if ebay did find a way to do this I doubt many buyers would go for it

I wouldn't let the valets deliver a pizza.

They would probably set it upside down.

You should not trust a stranger to have a key to your home, even a born again Christian AM delivery person. It would work ok for people with sheds outside that a person could unlock, or a  large lock box OUTSIDE of the house. 

Message 53 of 59
latest reply

Yes, but that is why they need to add on the amazon stun gun device to the key service so you just stun them and not obliterate them if you think they are a burglar. LOL.

Message 54 of 59
latest reply

What happened to the Amazon lockers? Too much trouble to actually go pick up a parcel?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 55 of 59
latest reply

@daksgirl4 wrote:

@omgitlightsup wrote:

When I was a kid in the 70s, one of my neighbors had a wooden bin on his front porch with a hasp and a padlock, and a sign that said "Please leave packages in box and close lock."

I think it's pretty depressing that we needed to wait almost fifty years for Amazon's technological wizardry to solve that problem for the rest of us.

Oh BTW.. if you develop a relationship with your UPS/USPS carriers (i.e., learn their names, give them a tip for Christmas, etc.) they will usually do this for you anyway, especially if you have a vehicle or side room that they can access without taking too much time out of their route. I know it's a lot more personal than signing up for an Amazon gadget and some people aren't into that, but that's how I've been doing it.

I tried that, when she continued to throw my packages, I gave up. I think the breaking point was when Id ordered an autographed book for my FIL for Xmas and she tossed it in a snowbank.

Everyone on the street has had issues with her.  Now Joe the FedEx guy is great, he brings along raw hide bones for the dogs on his route, and always leaves my packages in the greenhouse if Im not home.

I don't think it's much fun to work for UPS or the post office. 

Message 56 of 59
latest reply

I think I'm going to incorporate both Amazon schemes into my deliveries. I'll combine drone delivery and give the key to the drone. You'll pay me $249.00 to buy the service, you'll get an unlockable lock, disabling of your security system, a docking station for the drone, a TV camera on the drone AND on the lock, the delivery and don't forget the all important positive feedback.

I can deliver any package in the continental US in 32 hours; assuming the drone will fly at 100 MPH. I'm in Pittsburgh so delivery to much of the midwest, the mid Atlantic, New England and much of the South East is much faster.

Once I drop your package off the drone will dock into the outside charging station at your house which will give me power for the return flight.

This idea is much better than the Amazon Key because I thought this through; all night in fact. I'm expecting this will increase my sales to maybe one sale a week instead of once in awhile.

Message 57 of 59
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
Since eBay does not handle any merchandise, no -- there's nothing to deliver.

Personally, I was horrified this morning to hear this story on the news. You think porch pirates are bad now; just think of the possibilities of Amazon drivers being accosted while the door is unlocked! Or of a driver just wandering through an unoccupied house -- which can happen even when the initial entry is viewed on-camera.

I doubt this Amazon Prime "benefit" will succeed, especially in cities. Secured apartment and condo complexes would never allow an entry to be unlocked by a random person carrying a package. Individual apartment tenants would not be able to change locks or set up a surveillance camera.

In my experience, Amazon drivers use their personal vehicles, do not wear uniforms and do not carry ID identifying them as Amazon employees. Furthermore, when they gain entry, they do not simply leave the package in the mailbox area -- they walk through the building to the actual apartment and dump the package in the hallway.

~~C~~

Since when has eBay ever allowed reality to get between them and a really bad idea?

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 59 of 59
latest reply