cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazing lack of seller protections regarding negative feedback

I'm sure there are several stories such as mine, but I thought I'd share and share what I am doing as a remedy. I sold a item that is a sensitive electrical test equipment. The buyer did not leave any feedback. Three weeks later, he contacts me that initially it was working fine and now he can't get it to read correctly (frequency counter). I included pictures of the item functioning properly on the ad. I told him that quite a bit can go on in 3 weeks and that even a small error on hooking up this equipment can cause it to fail. My ad clearly said no returns and he made no qualms that it was received as described. I refused to let him return the item. Of course he left negative feedback. I called EBay as I felt that I kept up my end as far as my selling responsibilities and the buyer did not receive the item as "not as described". EBay told me that the could not remove this negative feeback and I implored them as to why. They stated that feedback is "subjective" and that I could respond to it. I asked them what had happened to my subjectivity as a seller - why can't I leave negative feedback for this buyer? No comment from EBay on that one. So I am stuck with clearly unfair feedback from the buyer, which as everyone knows does make a difference to other potential buyers and we are graded by ebay with regards to our feedback. So, essentially EBay is allowing purely subjective ratings to be used as our report card with no regards to whether they are accurate or not and there is no remedy for this. Sounds clearly unfair to me. What I am doing now is selling all of my electronic items "as-is" regardless. I stipulate that I will not take returns for any reason. I continue to take pictures of the items in a functioning state (though this didn't seem to help before). I know that I am getting fewer interested buyers now as a result, but it seems to be the only remedy that I can think of.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Amazing lack of seller protections regarding negative feedback

You really are right.

Message 46 of 52
latest reply

OK - I am a seller at a flea market with my few used goods on a table there. You buy a microwave oven from me. Works perfectly. You walk away knowing that it works. You use the thing for three weeks. Now it fails on you (maybe you put tinfoil in there, i don't know). You bring it back to me at the flea market three weeks later and want a full refund.
Message 47 of 52
latest reply

It wasn't defective. It was a USED working item.
Message 48 of 52
latest reply

I am a seller on Ebay and had a very good Feedback rating up until a couple days ago. I had sold something that got lost during shipment and the buyer decided to give me negative feedback and the dreaded RED STAR against me...stating that shipment never received ...altho I did refund her monies and asked her to retract the negative feedback in an ever so polite way which I haven't heard anything back from her. I seriously doubt she is going to retract the feedback even tho it wasn't my fault but the USPS. 

I contacted Ebay Customer support and the people I spoke too said that my reason to have the negative feedback removed doesn't hold water. Wasn't happy about that ..they should realize that some parcels do get lost in shipment and shouldn't have to affect the Sellers Feedback...a neutral feedback would work but a RED STAR..come one Ebay give me a break!

What ever happned to you scratch my back ..I'll scratch yours..bah!

Message 49 of 52
latest reply

"I should also be able to provide my "subjective" feedback about the transaction as well - just as he is allowed to do."

You "should also be able to" follow the policies that you agreed to by listing on any site.

I will never understand a seller leaving a FALSE POSITIVE for a buyer that other sellers don't see unless they are prepared to wade through a buyer's feedback & read every comment...which is all positive.

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

These buyers are getting just plain stupid with their feedback.  I can't believe the idiotic things I read in people's feedback--I also can't believe eBay doesn't have sellers backs a little bit more.  I looked at your feedback because I was curious--also disturbing is the neutral from the person who said their  package arrived open--the item was great, just perfect, but the package was cut open somehow--"maybe USPS?" they wrote--I assume that they didn't contact you first and inquire about it--sometimes USPS does cut things open to check them if there is any question about contents or especially media mail--the buyer wasn't inconvenienced or slighted in any way, and they got what they ordered in perfect condition--and that deserves a nuetral--ridiculous.  

My experience has been that CS reps will fight you every step of the way when you are trying to get feedback removed.  You can sit there and quote policy to them verbatim, and they will still argue.  I just don't understand it.  You would think that eBay wants sellers to do well. However, the recent Spring update, and the hard line approach to the treatment of the sellers here tells a far different story.  In my opinion, both of your feedbacks should be removeable--if you did your due dilligence and mailed the stuff out on time--but it seems that the message from the "top" is to tell just about any seller looking for feedback removal, "It's the buyer's opinion."  Yeah, well the "buyer's opinion" no matter how ignorant, rude,  or careless can kill your business. And when they buyer is wrong, ridiculous, or just plain reckless and unmindful--that feedback should be removed. Just my opinion.

Message 51 of 52
latest reply

"What ever happned to you scratch my back ..I'll scratch yours..bah!"

Well, people have been known to go to jail for that kind of thing.

As far as the FB, apparently the buyer felt it was an unpleasant experience regardless of who was at fault.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 52 of 52
latest reply