cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being paranoid?

I have a buyer who has 2 old feedbacks.

When I view "order details" the name of person on package is different than "order".

I google the address and it is a "truck wash" in the middle of nowhere in North Carolina.

I have no problem losing the items.

I don't want to get stuck again like last week with a "third party buyer" where an account gets hacked by someone...My account had no sales for 2 days last week of this situation because the buyer emailed me that they sent positive feedback.

Here's my question...Can I cancel sale without hurting my account? I have never done this before.NORTH CAROLINA.jpeg.

Here's where my items are going.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Am I being paranoid?

I don't see any problem.

The name on the order could be the buyer and the name on the package could be the owner on the truck wash.

When Pay Pal was processing payments, had an order that had 3 different names and it was fine.

Have a great day.
Message 16 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

not true from my experience. 

Again, when I had an iffy buyer, I spent that little $3.50+ for signature. 

Gues what? Item was returned and the buyer never contacted me, complained, or left negative feedback. 

Wake up sellers!

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

That $3.50 (pretty sure it's more now) is better spent on cookie-jar insurance to just cover losses if necessary.  It's a complete waste of money to get signature confirmation on anything less than $750 (where it's then required).  Seriously, stop pushing that nonsense.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

I've been married for over 55 years.

My name is not the same as my husband's.

When I know the shipment is going to a business, I mark the envelope "Personal Documents".

For bulkier items you might resort to buying Signature Confirmation. If it ends up with the Receptionist, they have to sign for it - slightly more convenient than boogying down to the PO.

In my opinion, Signature Confirmation is well worth the price as cheap insurance. Makes the potential scammer think twice. And you can "sell" it to the honest customer as "for your protection".

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

Gues what? Item was returned and the buyer never contacted me, complained, or left negative feedback. 

Sig Confirmation is purely about proof of delivery and nothing else. Delivery Confirmation gives you exactly the same coverage for free on a sale below $750. If a scammer wants to rip you off with an empty box claim or return something different there is nothing in that signature confirmation that will have ANY effect on that.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

It's a mind game. 

The scammer has to think about it for a second.

Yes, the NAD could still happen, but it's like WalMart's greeters.

They are not there to be useful to the buyer in any way. They are not even there to make the mega-corp seem friendly.

They are there to say "You have been observed by a human being entering the store. We have our eyes on you."

But in a polite passive -aggressive way.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It's a mind game. 

The scammer has to think about it for a second.

They are not there to be useful to the buyer in any way. They are not even there to make the mega-corp seem friendly.

They are there to say "You have been observed by a human being entering the store. We have our eyes on you."

But in a polite passive -aggressive way.

Not sure what your Walmart is like but ours simply mounts a big monitor over the entrance to show you walking in. Message delivered. Watch 'Dateline NBC' sometime to see how many murderers get pinched because a Walmart video shows them arriving to buy shovels and duct tape. 😆

Signature confirmation will not deter any serious scammer (as it has nothing to do with a NAD claim) but will inconvenience buyers when it is not required by Ebay. Nothing like getting your feedback dinged because you made a buyer jump through unnecessary hoops just to collect his purchase.

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

Even if your buyer was hacked and someone used their account to make this purchase, ebay will cover you for it as long as tracking shows delivered to there right? Even if the buyer account does a payment dispute, ebay would cover you.

Ship it. Selfishly, I kinda like these sales because there would be no possible way the buyer would successfully file a return for a refund.

What did they buy? Is it high dollar?

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

@luckythewinner wrote:

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I don't want to get stuck again like last week with a "third party buyer" where an account gets hacked by someone...My account had no sales for 2 days last week of this situation because the buyer emailed me that they sent positive feedback.

I am confused by this.

Can you explain what happened in more detail?

Do you think the lack of sales for two days was related to the dispute over the hacked account?

@luckythewinner 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/MC010-Account-Security-Communication-Partner-Warning/td-p/3432...

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

I believe you can cancel with reason of 'issue with buyers address'. 

ONLY if it is a case of 1) the address actually being invalid when you go to print the label, or 2) the buyer messages you after the sale to tell you they entered their address incorrectly/they moved and forgot to change their address/etc.

Otherwise, the buyer can report you for fraudulently canceling and you can get a defect.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

@12345jamesstamps 

I would ship it.  I once had a questionable sale, so I googled the address.  I can't remember what made me look it up, but something did.   It looked EXACTLY like your photo!   It was a vacant gas station. Very weird!

Since my item wasn't very expensive & was also shipped in an envelope with NO tracking, I just went ahead & shipped it.  It was fine, no problem at all.  I don't know what the abandoned building was all about, but it didn't turn out to be any problem for me. . Now of course that was my experience, yours could be different ...but I still say go ahead & ship!

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Au contraire 😉; that is exactly what they are there for. Having someone watch you walk in (especially to an aircraft hangar the size of your typical Walmart) is no form of security at all. They're purely there to give you warm fuzzies and occasional directions as needed. I can't help noticing that the greeters in our area tend to be the most elderly and/or physically challenged employees in the store. I can't see any of them participating in a shoplifting prosecution or anything like that.

For the longest time, our local Walmart greeter was an elderly gentleman on oxygen with a nasal cannula  (one of those little hoses that runs to an outlet under your nostrils). By the time he was on oxygen, he had already been given a chair to sit in, but he would still remain alert enough to greet everyone who was coming in.

One evening I came in much later than usual, around 9 p.m. or so, and was surprised to see him still there, slouched in his chair and apparently asleep, as I did not get a greeting. "Oh, God, no," I thought, "Please tell me he's breathing..." I started to veer towards him for a closer look, but as I got within about six feet of him, his head suddenly bobbed upward: "Welcome to Walmart!" That was a relief. They must have fitted his chair with a motion detector...

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

Wake up sellers!

What happened to the payment you received on that purchase? Do you still have it? If so, then that's not bad of an "insurance". Paying $3.50 to be able to get back your item and keep the payment for it for items you are skeptical about.

That's a better financial outcome than sticking with DC and tracking showing delivered thus protecting your payment. But then you'd have to have some pretty good spidey senses here. I'd hate to always inconvenience the honest folk with these SC hoops.

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

All I did was sell an item and the buyer emailed me thanking me. Because of buyer sending me an email I had no sales for 48 hours.

Good thing you didn't reply with a "you're welcome" because ebay woulda booted you out indefinitely right then and there.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

Am I being paranoid?

I've lived in worse places than that "truck wash". 🙄

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 30 of 38
latest reply