cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allstate Protection Plan checkbox on my jewelry listing?

This just appeared today on my bracelet listing. 

These tweaks we're seeing everyday is like a bad joke ... or something.

😮

huh_.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Allstate Protection Plan checkbox on my jewelry listing?

Not new. It's been around a long time.

https://www.ebay.com/cdp/help/protection-plan/allstate

Some buyers like buying these plans. Some don't.

I think most online shoppers are familiar with these plans. They're offered almost everywhere.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I know what (Allstate PP) is and what it does, and some like it. The plan checkbox appeared on the listing today AFAIK, which I coincidentally had just moved into the men's jewelry category. Is that a clue? Who knows.

It's a pre-owned designer wrap bracelet for pete's sake. There's no prong-set precious stones, no intricate parts or electronics. It would not breakdown, get water damage or require servicing. Sorry, this is just weird imo. I don't why but it's just really bothering me, as if it might have 'defects' that can definitely 'go bad' after someone buys it. Makes me sad.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It is simply an option for your buyers.  Some really like it especially the more expense the item is.  This is a good thing.  Options are always good for both buyers and sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

There's no prong-set precious stones, no intricate parts or electronics. It would not breakdown, get water damage or require servicing.

@stuffygrotto 

The computer algorithm that places that on your listing probably recognizes the '
likelihood that the insurance would never have to pay out' and thus a good place to sell some. 

Even though eBay states the 'seller is responsible' for all information on their listing,  they don't allow sellers to remove anything placed by eBay such as this.  I had a very angry buyer once that was upset because I (not) posted some information about PayPal Credit, then I would not allow the buyer to use it.  

Got to wonder if buyers forced into auto-pay will be instantly paying for that insurance if they click the button. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

That virtually worthless insurance is just more corporate greed.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yeah, the more I think about this - it's total **bleep**!  This is placed *right there* - the first line under the Buy button and prominently placed before the terms of sale details: returns/shipping cost!

It could even be construed by a buyer that I am promoting the insurance and would profit from its purchase.

It's just bad form, eBay. Remove it please.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Why is it a bad joke of Ebay to allow buyers to purchase protection plans. It really has nothing to do with the seller. Just about every store I purchased from the cashier asks me if I want a protection plan.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@ittybitnot  said "The computer algorithm that places that on your listing probably recognizes the 'likelihood that the insurance would never have to pay out' and thus a good place to sell some. "

Thank you. I did chuckle at the sad truth of that. Because I love irony. And well-said sarcasm.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@ittybitnot  - This is the popup I see when I just add the bracelet to my cart. I'm given an option to choose an Allstate plan ('no thanks' is checked b default) before proceeding to the cart.

🙄Very Annoying!

x cart allstateplan.jpg=============🙄

Message 10 of 10
latest reply