cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adios Ebay.

I started my shop 10 ears ago selling quality ammolite jewelry and Ebay gave me my start for which I am grateful.

The business slowly grew over the years but so did the problems-- chief of which was Ebay allowing volume junk jewelry sellers to compete in the fine jewelry space--so much so in fact that Ebay gave precedence to the volume junk sellers and put mine and other sellers of fine jewelry way in the back of their listing precedence.

I wrote in many times about this but mostly got a deaf ear and nothing was done.

So four years ago I opened my own stand alone website and paid my way in Google ad adverts--and the website grew.

Today I am marketing top quality ammolite under my ammolite jewelry from canada name world wide and sales are very good indeed.

Meanwhile back here at Ebay my shop had dwindling sales because I was being lumped in with junk sellers and things were just going from bad to worse.

I am very glad I took the initiative four years ago to diversify and not rely on Ebay.

I now have my own shop and also list at another popular site that discourages mass junk sellers.

I will be closing my shop at Ebay shortly.

Good luck to all.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Adios Ebay.

One thing I will mention..  I believe in their attempt to keep eBay a vibrant place for buyers to shop, they encourage and reward sellers who are continually putting up new fresh listings.  Fresh new offerings of previously unseen merchandise that can now entice the buyers to part with some $$$. 

Those sellers here who run the same unsold listings over and over and over won't fare as well, won't see placements as high, will sink and be more likely to remain unnoticed, with fewer sales.  NOT saying this is you, or anyone in particular, actually.  Just that there are tons of sellers bringing in daily sales in numbers that work well for their business hopes, but they also really work their businesses here, putting up new listings on most days, and their daily work efforts in increasing their listings and growing their business imprint here pays off.

It even helps to take old stale listings off and let them rest for awhile, and then when you're going to start running them again, redo the entire listings.  You won't likely fool buyers who've seen the merchandise offered previously, and bypassed it, but maybe you can fool eBay Cassini into giving you higher placement for awhile. 

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

@themagicmountain wrote:

Yours is a story I've seen and heard too often here.

Unfortunately, I think something is going on like the USPS situation? They aren'trdoing well, and to prop up the balance sheet they took money from Americans and subsidized cheap Chinese postage, which gave the Chinese a huge advantage over American small business. 

The Chinese and junk dealers are being allowed to take over categories with fake junk, flood categories with multiple listings, and much more, and wiping out American businesses on Ebay. The USPS has a big hand in all this, subsidizing their cheap postage with money from the American public.

I am not going to tar and feather Ebay though

The Amzon/Wall Street collusion in creating a retail monopoly is hurting lots of American businesses, and Ebay is included in that. 

The "cheap Chinese postage" is a trilateral deal brokered by USPS, ebay and China.

What Amazon/Wall Street collusion?   Way back when the ebay train was being driven by monkeys, was that because of collusion with Wall Street?    (I'm not even going to mention that "Wall Street" is  a term, not a single entity.)

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 32 of 53
latest reply

@leadgard9

@leadgard9 wrote:

@iart wrote:

It's very clear that ebay would much prefer a $15 sale to a $300 sale.

Last week we had a $300 book up for auction (and it was priced very well but ebay hid is way back in the search reults). When it didn't sell ebay sent us a note suggesting we drop the price to $15.55.

We'd recycle it before we sold it that low.

Good luck!

What's the point of an auction, if you're starting your prices at what you want to sell them at? Just do a buy it now at that point. You're wasting auction space.  They aren't suggesting you sell it for $15.55. They are suggesting you START it at $15.55. If you're stuff isn't being bid up, then no one wants to buy it for that price, and therefor it isn't worth that price. That's how markets work.

I agree with @iart on this one and Auctions certainly serve their purpose.  And based on what the book is, First Edition, excellent condition, Etc. the $ 300.00 may be fair market value for a serious collector.  I price my auctions so that 1 bid makes profit on the item but more bids increases profit.  I too get suggestions from eBay at times to lower prices ... and not by a little which to me is rediculous.  Anyway, that's my view point.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 33 of 53
latest reply

"OP,  just took a peek.

I had never heard of ammolite but now I know~~it is gorgeous!

Absolutely stunning!  "

I see zero listings, wah, I wanna see the jewelry too!

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

I don't think that's true at all.  Just a single example would be if you put JADE BOWL in search, and then asked to be shown highest priced first, on down.  Amazing bowls priced in the thousands!!  And that's just a single search.  You can find it all here... still.  Amazing treasures.

Very true. The cheapos do the lowest first and of course you will get the knockoff $15 items. If you want the real deal it is easily found if doing it right.

Message 35 of 53
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
"OP,  just took a peek.

I had never heard of ammolite but now I know~~it is gorgeous!

Absolutely stunning!  "

I see zero listings, wah, I wanna see the jewelry too!

@moondogblues

Cry no more!  I had to go into the OP's completed listings, but believe me, it was WELL worth the trip!  

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

First the ammolite jewelry - the OP has 21 gorgeous items - which isn't much listed in the scope of things as there are over 1200 rings listed to their 3. Their main competiton is India - not China. There were many US and Canadian dealers selling these rings for less when I filtered to North America. I love the OP's rings as they are unique but pirce does play a factor in many buyers lives these days.

I also searched for the vintage spoon rings - again - gorgeous pieces and great descriptions - but there are lots of 5 selling for less than 1 of the posters items. Plus they have them at auction vs BIN. Auction buyers are looking for a deal and will bypass the high starting price on these. That poster has 11 rings listed in antiques flatware and silverware - which won't be seen if a buyer filters to jewelry - which is what I would do as I'm looking for a ring - not flatware.

Sellers think their items should always get top spot - despite the 1,000's of other sellers who also have merchandise listed here - Everyone takes their turn at the top - a seller has to price competitively, make their items appeal to the buyer and list in the category that is going to get them the best exposure. I've listed things using sell similar on another seller's listing. I wondered why this item didn't sell - but when I do back to revise the listing see that the item wasn't even listed in the most appropriate category. I put it in the category where it would be seen and it sold in a hour.

The book another poster talked about - should not be listed at auction - that should be a BIN for the price they want - but because of it's specialty - may have to wait for the right buyer to come along.

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

@ammolitehunter wrote:

I started my shop 10 ears ago selling quality ammolite jewelry and Ebay gave me my start for which I am grateful.

The business slowly grew over the years but so did the problems-- chief of which was Ebay allowing volume junk jewelry sellers to compete in the fine jewelry space--so much so in fact that Ebay gave precedence to the volume junk sellers and put mine and other sellers of fine jewelry way in the back of their listing precedence.

I wrote in many times about this but mostly got a deaf ear and nothing was done.

So four years ago I opened my own stand alone website and paid my way in Google ad adverts--and the website grew.

Today I am marketing top quality ammolite under my ammolite jewelry from canada name world wide and sales are very good indeed.

Meanwhile back here at Ebay my shop had dwindling sales because I was being lumped in with junk sellers and things were just going from bad to worse.

I am very glad I took the initiative four years ago to diversify and not rely on Ebay.

I now have my own shop and also list at another popular site that discourages mass junk sellers.

I will be closing my shop at Ebay shortly.

Good luck to all.

A quick question --- your sell-thru here was around 50% (not bad at all) --- what is it at the other "popular site that discourages mass junk sellers" ???

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

I'm not surprised at the sell thru as the jewelry is gorgeous. Much more pleasing to look at than the others I've seen - just wish I could afford it.

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

Congratulations! I hope to follow your example.
Message 40 of 53
latest reply

Ebay used to work fr me. Now, I work for ebay. No thanks! (And if it isn't fun, don't do it.)
Message 41 of 53
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

Many of our items are rare and value is unknown. We start our auctions well under what we suspect the value is. But there aren't always enough bidders especially when ebay reduces visibility in favor of mass-market junk.

And the best way to sell a $300 item for $15 is to start it off at $15.

We're not new here.

That's exactly what they've done.  Most of your bidders for those rare items stopped looking on eBay years ago - because it was a good way to waste a bunch of time on Chinese counterfeits and mass-market junk and auctions with a start price well over full retail.  Now it's an auction house with 150 empty seats and two bidders, and you can't start that item at $15 under those conditions.  Between the Chinese junk and their site policies and functionality that does not support Auction selling, they've pretty much killed that golden goose. 

And now they are stealing listings from other sellers and undercutting them for something they can't possibly have or ship. And they show up in related listings - and if you click on them from there, they are usually removed!! 

How good of an experience for a buyer is that?

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

Many of our items are rare and value is unknown. We start our auctions well under what we suspect the value is. But there aren't always enough bidders especially when ebay reduces visibility in favor of mass-market junk.

We're not new here.

That's exactly what they've done.  Most of your bidders for those rare items stopped looking on eBay years ago - because it was a good way to waste a bunch of time on Chinese counterfeits and mass-market junk and auctions with a start price well over full retail.  Now it's an auction house with 150 empty seats and two bidders, and you can't start that item at $15 under those conditions.  Between the Chinese junk and their site policies and functionality that does not support Auction selling, they've pretty much killed that golden goose. 

I don't think that's true at all.  Just a single example would be if you put JADE BOWL in search, and then asked to be shown highest priced first, on down.  Amazing bowls priced in the thousands!!  And that's just a single search.  You can find it all here... still.  Amazing treasures.

I think many of us inhabit the cheapo end of eBay and for some reason have come to believe that is all there is to eBay.  But HIGH END is here in every category I've ever looked in.  I certainly can't affort the wares up in that rarified price range, but it's fun to window shop.  And it's obvious there are a lot of people with a LOT of money shopping for treasures here on eBay!  I know of one shop owner in New York who buys here for his shop.  I expect there are many more.  It's Big Bucks.  It's just that most of us don't know much about that high level, so all we see is the sludge that settles to the bottom, where we shop.  Smiley Very Happy 

Currently 333. US Only 124.

Who is going to send 3-8k to china?

d-k_treasures wrote:

mistwomandancing wrote:

ted_200 wrote:

We're not new here.

I think many of us inhabit the cheapo end of eBay and for some reason have come to believe that is all there is to eBay.  But HIGH END is here in every category I've ever looked in.  I certainly can't affort the wares up in that rarified price range, but it's fun to window shop.  And it's obvious there are a lot of people with a LOT of money shopping for treasures here on eBay!  I know of one shop owner in New York who buys here for his shop.  I expect there are many more.  It's Big Bucks.  It's just that most of us don't know much about that high level, so all we see is the sludge that settles to the bottom, where we shop.  Smiley Very Happy 

Currently 333. US Only 124.

Who is going to send 3-8k to china?

Museums.  High-end interior decorators.  The very upscale shops that cater to the very upscale shopper.  The wealthy collector who buys fine pieces for his personal collection, most of which resides in secure rooms where it's hidden away from most eyes.  Upper Crust business office suites where the bosses spend much of their time and require Upper Crust decor surround them, even at work. 

Many treasures still come from China these days as well as the decades past.  And much U.S. money (and European money too) goes TO China as well, where many of the world's finest designers (clothing, handbags) have their designs produced, which are then sold to the rich and famous who can afford things priced up in that rarified atmosphere. 

It's fun to have somebody to hate on occasionally, I guess.. if we're hurting from whatever difficulty we are currently facing, but that no reason to lose sight of the truth of the fact that there is a lot of very successful business being transacted *above our heads.*  I actually think it's much safer Up There. 

Message 44 of 53
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

We're not new here.

It just depends on what it is.  There are certainly niche collectibles and antiques that you can still get good bidding on.  For example, you can still run $20 gold coins here with a 99¢ start, and the odds it sells for less than $1200 are approximately zero.   Running one worth $7,500 though... you might be better off selling it directly to a big coin dealer yourself, or consigning it to Heritage... because you might only get $2,500 here.   That wouldn't have been a concern 10 years ago, there were enough bidders in the seats to prevent it, and you'd probably get full retail or more.

But if you run an obscure foreign coin worth $2K here, as a low start auction, you could get $75 for it.  If you list it FP near $2K, or auction start near $2K, it might not sell for years - it's obscure, dealers don't want to tie up a lot of cash in it, none of the 5 collectors that want it enough to search for it look at eBay every week anymore (let alone two of them), and the other 95 who would buy it if they saw it and it was priced right (or put in a solid bid)... those are category browsers... don't browse categories here anymore, there's too much junk and not-auction auctions to wade through.

Jade bowls...  That's not exactly fair, doing the search, sorting for sold high price first... you might well be able to do the same with active listings, but sorting anything "high price first" isn't really what auction buying is all about.  And I can't judge whether a high price on a sold jade bowl is really all that high.  If big money shop owners are stocking their shop here, that suggests stuff is selling for under wholesale. 

The genius (not pre-meditated) success of eBay was bringing retail buyers into an auction format - selling Navajo rings to retail buyers at $75 in a liquidation format that actually moves items.  I can sell stuff below wholesale to local dealers without messing with eBay, and if I'm going to sit and sit waiting for a FP sale, there're better places to do that than here. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 45 of 53
latest reply