cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account permanently suspended without explanation

I must have created an eBay account a few years ago. eBay seems to have saved some of my information.

Today, I decided to sell some books I no longer needed. So I signed in and listed 2 books. 1 hour and 4 minutes later, eBay sent me an email:

We wanted to let you know that you have been temporarily restricted from selling and buying on eBay because of concerns about your seller account. This must be frustrating, but measures like these help keep our marketplace safe for everyone.

Here’s what you should do
Please get in touch as soon as you can by going to the Help & Contact page below and selecting Contact Us. We’ll just need to ask you a few questions to verify your account so you can get back up and running again. If we don’t hear from you within 7 days, your account may be at risk of being suspended.

So I contacted customer service through chat. The agent did not ask me to verify my account or identity, and told me that my account is indefinitely suspended and cannot be reinstated, because 'we found indications of risk to the eBay community'. Furthermore, 'We can't provide specific information on what behaviors we have found, because this may provide risk to our site. We've found out that providing this information can also provide ways to circumvent this restrictions or review process in the future.'

The agent ended the chat immediately, and did not let me ask any more questions. I called customer service, and was told that the decision was final and cannot be appealed.

After reading others' experiences, there are a few possible reasons for my suspension:

1. I had changed my address, same state, different ZIP code.
  2. I had edited my listings, adding some details, and making some measurements more precise (e.g., 5 oz to 5.4 oz).
  3. I am residing in the U.S., but am not a citizen or permanent resident. I just applied for an SSN. On eBay, I entered the SSN that appeared on my company's file of me. On second thought, it may not be a valid SSN.

I do have a U.S. driver's license, and all necessary supporting documents such as bank statements, passport, visa, etc. In an earlier discussion, someone suggested contacting eBay on Facebook. Should I bother to do that at all?

My PayPal account had been suspended. When I called PayPal's customer service, they told me why it was and what to do. My account was soon restored. But this time on eBay, I don't even know what I did wrong. My account is suspended, supposedly because I violated eBay's rules or policies. Had I known what eBay's rules and policies are, I certainly would not have broken them.

I received no warning or explanation from eBay. The only email I received said that my account is temporarily restricted. When I contacted customer service, they told me my account is indefinitely suspended, and the decision is final and cannot be appealed.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

On second thought, it may not be a valid SSN.

@xcomhghall 

^^^ On first read, this may be the elephant in the room.

Edit to add: I've had excellent service (via email) beginning with a message on the eBay facebook page. Try it. Good luck.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 

Thank you. Am I doomed then? Since customer service said the indefinite suspension cannot be appealed?

Edit to edit: OK. Thank you!

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@xcomhghall 

I just don't know. 

Would the SSN that you most recently used be the same one you used when "must have created an eBay account a few years ago"? I guess that living here, but not being a "citizen or permanent resident" means you've never filed taxes, either?

I can't imagine that a bogus SSN wouldn't have been causing you problems all over the place! (But you have credentials...?)

Maybe someone with actual knowledge will happen by... wait for it. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

beginning with a message on the eBay facebook page. Try it. Good luck.

@xcomhghall 

If you wish to try this, please use the big blue SEND MESSAGE button on the top of the page: 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

Do not post your issue to the discussion area, for it will be deleted.  Include your name, contact information, user ID, and ask for assistance to the problem you outlined here. 

For what it is worth, LOTS of people have been getting this same nastygram message and have had similar results with the first tier eBay CS reps on the phone or chat.  Apparently, they do the same to anyone that contacts them asking what exactly is the problem.  It is what they have been instructed to do. 

A few weeks ago, eBay permanently suspended many users, and a few days later said it was done in error.  We are just buyers and sellers and have little authority to help you, but at least we don't hang you to dry because you ask for help.   Good luck, and do let us know if you get any help. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

So you used your old account to sell?

Did you set up your managed payment account before listing?

Ebay does not use Paypal for sellers any longer.

Laws have changed over the years.  Sop if  the problem you had with Paypal was awhile ago things could have changed for them also.

Lots of new laws have been put into place over the years.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

We are just buyers and sellers and have little authority to help you, but at least we don't hang you to dry because you ask for help.   Good luck, and do let us know if you get any help. 

Ditto to all said, @ittybitnot!

@xcomhghall 

I can attest to the quality of eBay C/S available through facebook. They don't read from scripts following flow charts... they have the ability and the resources to address your  issue and actually offer service.

You seem to have a handle on the facts and appear to be keeping emotion out of it... go with that.

If the first Rep can't help you, you'll be handed off to a more qualified Rep; if the issue still needs to be escalated, you'll have that option through replies. The emails are quick and intelligible and you can handle them on your time. It might take 3 emails to 3 Reps, but what you got better to do this evening? Fingers crossed...

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 

Right. I never filed taxes or had an SSN. That is probably the problem then.

@ittybitnot and mtgraves7984

Thank you so much! I am doing that now.

@janet9988 

So you used your old account to sell?

— Yes.

Did you set up your managed payment account before listing?

— Listing preferences display 'Payment method: Payments managed by eBay'. I did not change the default setting.

I have never purchased or sold anything on eBay prior to today. I have not used PayPal for eBay.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-sold-?id=4814

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

You surely know that whether or not you may work lawfully in the United States depends upon your visa / immigration status.  And selling on eBay is considered work in that context. 

People in many visa / immigration statuses besides Permanent Resident ("green card" holder) may work while in the U.S. 

If you are not in a visa / immigration status that allows you to work -- and especially if you have been employed unlawfully using a false SSN or the SSN of another person -- you need to consult a good immigration lawyer -- and fast.

=

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@xcomhghall wrote:

@mtgraves7984 

Right. I never filed taxes or had an SSN. That is probably the problem then.

Were you 18 when you signed up? Users who opened their account before they were 18, have recently found themselves permanently suspended, years after signing up. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Thank you maxine*j and dryophelia!

@maxine*j:

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I never had an SSN, and just applied for an SSN through my company. The SSN I saw on my company's file, I thought was real, but could be temporary, that is, used as a code or ID before I get my actual SSN. I have not started working yet, and my employment is lawful.

I did not know selling on eBay is considered working. I will have to do some research and check my work authorization then.

@dryophelia:

My account was created after I was 18.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

My PayPal account had been suspended. When I called PayPal's customer service, they told me why it was and what to do. My account was soon restored.

Paypal is no longer used for seller payment processing on eBay.

The problem may be that you do not have a Managed Payment account set up.

This happens often enough that frankly eBay should have a NOTE in the selling forms that demands proof the seller does have an active MP account.

To set up an MP account you need a checking account in the country you are resident in and in which your eBay account is registered.

US residents need a SSN to open an MP account.

But if you register  your eBay account in your own country, you can use your passport or driving license instead. Some other forms of ID may also be acceptable.

There are some quirks to having a non-US account but selling here on dotCOM, but nothing unsurmountable.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

I never used PayPal as a payment for eBay. I mentioned PayPal to contrast the customer service of the two companies. Sorry for the confusion.

My listing preferences display 'Payment method: Payments managed by eBay'. I take that to mean that I have an MP account.

Thank you for the advice! Not registering in my own country may be the cause of the problem.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 @ittybitnot 

Update

2022-01-31 M 15:13, eBay on Facebook responded with the same script:

Thank you for those details. We've spent some time reviewing what can be done regarding the restriction on your account; however, we've determined that we won't be able to reinstate your account.

I realize this may be disappointing to hear, but when we see signs of risk -intentional or not- we have to restrict the account to maintain the safest marketplace possible. We ask that you please not open any new accounts as they may also be restricted as there isn't an option for an appeal on this.

While we may not be able to reply to future messages regarding your account restriction, I really appreciate the time you've taken to contact us about this and wish you the best going forward.

2022-02-01 T 9:44, eBay for Business on Facebook responded:

Hi, ———. We appreciate your offer for documents but we can review your account without having you submit anything. Can you follow the link provided to authenticate your account? Once you've done that, we can check things out!

I did not find the eBay for Business page initially, until ittybitnot posted the link. That is the only one that seems somewhat promising.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply