cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25% more duties on products by govt, does any body knows, for which categories on ebay?

i have read news there is going to be 25% increase in product prices by govt on chinese goods, in market 80% goods are from china, means everything going to be expensive, it will effect online sales, consumers are going to suffer by 25% increase in duties on products + online tax. its a big hazard for online business.

please share your ideas and views about it ,does any body know for which categories (products) of ebay will fall in to new hit of 25% increase?

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: 25% more duties on products by govt, does any body knows, for which categories on ebay?

@uniwarehousewares wrote:

80% general commodities in the markets are Chinese product, how many products you see online made in US? or in physical stores? you have no idea how market works, increasing prices for 80% commodities is destruction for consumers and for middle class families,US cannot afford manufacturing for general commodities and reason is labor cost is too high, if in case if its manufacture here consumer cannot afford it to buy that is reason big companies like apple, amazon they have man power in other countries for their brands. there are a lot of opportunities here but lazy people always have excuse not to work, there are tons of jobs here , if govt end public benefits i will see who will not work, everyone will work . In your explain scenario who will suffer? only consumers and who are consumers , Hard working Americans.

Sorry. I don’t support Chinese junk. They are the worlds worse polluter of air and water.  Human rights violations and all that. Oh the horror, consumers can’t buy cheap garbage. I vote with my wallet.

As for how markets work, Wanna bet China gives in first? 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 16 of 43
latest reply

Re: 25% more duties on products by govt, does any body knows, for which categories on ebay?

@ravenm.-4 wrote:
Well its going cost my two hardworking American employees their jobs.
I can't afford to bring in the items I need to continue, and American manufacturers want more than I'd be paying even with the tariffs. So its a choice, lay people off, or go out of business all together.

I'm looking for other sources for the products I need, but I'm still going end up laying at least one person off because I can't afford to pay them and bring in what I need.

Also, what most don't realize, is we're no longer living in a national economy. It's a global economy, and tariffs will hurt more than just those importing from China.

So you think a massive trade imbalance is ok?  A global economy doesn’t mean the US takes one for the “team”. Sorry it’s going to affect you. Kinda like it affected my family when all manufacturing went to China because it was cheaper to make it there. 

Yeah it’s cheaper to manufacturer in China where there’s little to no regulations (or where inspectors can be bought off) and dangerous products get shipped to the US.  From poisonous pet food to toxic drywall and lead contaminated children’s toys. 

I believe the USDA has many reports on food issues that have come from China.

No thanks. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 17 of 43
latest reply

from decades , there is no manufacturing in US, is it Chinese fault ? do you have idea what is minimum labor wage here in US? how consumer can afford it to buy made in US stuff? i guess apple fones also coming from China and 58% American using iphone coming from China,you mean 58% population is using junk? you mean Amazon is junk? who have their brands coming from China? 😄 i guess best is what is best for consumer. and now consumers are going to pay so much to buy stuff from markets specially middle class families. 

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Sorry. I don’t support Chinese junk. They are the worlds worse polluter of air and water.  Human rights violations and all that. Oh the horror, consumers can’t buy cheap garbage. I vote with my wallet.

As for how markets work, Wanna bet China gives in first? 

We can already see that has not worked at all.

As mentioned, if it were only Chinese products that had tariffs that would be a different story.

Steel is steel, no matter where it comes from. There's tariffs on steel right now. Not just on China but all our neighbors. 

Because of this, USA manufacturing is at record high prices as well. All items that are USA manufactured have went up in price, in many cases even moreso than Chinese items. For an example, look up the changes in  US Manufactured Air Suspension prices. 

Also we're uniquely positioned in our market because we have partners all over the globe. Even with 25% tariffs, China is still cheaper than competitors. Partly because of the tariffs on the other countries as well. 

How on earth is it going to hurt Chinas market when they're still getting the business? 

For the record, I completely understand your sentiments. But if you are really aware of the situation, they are "not" fighting Chinese junk (check the jewelery section on eBay, rings and necklaces for under $1 still). They can ship their junk to America for cheaper than we could ship a first class letter. They can still profit off our consumers. The discrepancy between US manufactured prices and China manufactured prices is even bigger than before.

Media may have worked hard to try to convince us that the tariffs are helping these things. But as someone who works in the industry I can 100% guarantee you, it has not. 

Even the job numbers that they have releasing have been flawed. The other day alongside the tariff announcements they were discussing "GM opening 450 new jobs that they have worked very hard to bring us". They left out the fact that GM cut 14,000 jobs 1 month after the October tariffs started due to losses. Then in February another 4000 jobs were cut, this time white collar jobs and management positions. But at least we have 450 new ones to even it out at only -17,550 jobs lost, right?

The stock markets were doing great. The economy itself, is not. Look at how many American businesses are having to cut thousands of jobs due to the tariffs. It's the same thing as here on eBay, eBay's stock and company margins are up, sales are down. According to the most recent stock report.

The tariffs are hurting us more than they are hurting China. That's the reality. Please do not be fooled by the media. I would not even recommend believing me, do the research yourself. Seeing with your own eyes would be best. 

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

Your president put a 25% tariff on Canadian steel and aluminum  in 2018 for "national security" although our countries have been friends and allies for nearly 150 years.

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Your president put a 25% tariff on Canadian steel and aluminum  in 2018 for "national security" although our countries have been friends and allies for nearly 150 years.

That's precisely part of the problem I'm trying to describe. 

Measures like this are why it's impossible for manufacturing to make a comeback. We need to be able to manufacture at competitive prices. It's not possible to do that when we're paying tariffs (AKA paying the government) in order to even have the raw materials to manufacture with.

In other words, rather than revitalizing manufacturing while the battle with China is going on, they are making $$$ at the cost of our countries manufacturing. Manufacturing prices go up and those fees go right to the government, rather than manufacturing prices going down to strengthen the American economy.

That's why it's such an outrage that they have convinced people that they are doing this in order to "Help the USA manufacturers". Reality is far from that, hence why major American manufacturers are doing cutbacks.

We would love it if manufacturing was being revitalized here, it's much more convenient than importing. But the harsh reality is that this is hurting it.

It also does nothing to stop China as Chinese businesses do not have to import their products to America. They can ship their products directly to American consumers without paying tariffs as consumer prices are below the prices which tariffs kick in

Chinese sellers are thriving, on market such as eBay and Amazon for this reason. They are more competitive than ever, while US manufacturing has only went up in price rather than decreased.

Making this a bigger issue is eBay's stance on the whole thing. As they said publicly that if postal fees go up for China, they are "uniquely positioned" to offer them big discounts.

Yet US sellers are not getting those same discounts, those are saved specifically to use as "incentive" to use the eBay fulfillment program. 

It's all a big mess, and I wish the general public knew the truth.

I don't know what's worse... the tariffs themselves? Having to hear lies about how great the tariffs are doing? Having to listen to claims that China are the ones paying the tariffs? Or having millions of people in the general public believe these claims when reality is a very grim situation where business after business involved in US manufacturing are doing huge cutbacks and restructuring due to the damages from the tariffs. 

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

That's precisely part of the problem I'm trying to describe. 

Measures like this are why it's impossible for manufacturing to make a comeback. We need to be able to manufacture at competitive prices. It's not possible to do that when we're paying tariffs (AKA paying the government) in order to even have the raw materials to manufacture with.

In other words, rather than revitalizing manufacturing while the battle with China is going on, they are making $$$ at the cost of our countries manufacturing. Manufacturing prices go up and those fees go right to the government, rather than manufacturing prices going down to strengthen the American economy.

That's why it's such an outrage that they have convinced people that they are doing this in order to "Help the USA manufacturers". Reality is far from that, hence why major American manufacturers are doing cutbacks.

We would love it if manufacturing was being revitalized here, it's much more convenient than importing. But the harsh reality is that this is hurting it.

It also does nothing to stop China as Chinese businesses do not have to import their products to America. They can ship their products directly to American consumers without paying tariffs as consumer prices are below the prices which tariffs kick in

Chinese sellers are thriving, on market such as eBay and Amazon for this reason. They are more competitive than ever, while US manufacturing has only went up in price rather than decreased.

Making this a bigger issue is eBay's stance on the whole thing. As they said publicly that if postal fees go up for China, they are "uniquely positioned" to offer them big discounts.

Yet US sellers are not getting those same discounts, those are saved specifically to use as "incentive" to use the eBay fulfillment program. 

It's all a big mess, and I wish the general public knew the truth.

I don't know what's worse... the tariffs themselves? Having to hear lies about how great the tariffs are doing? Having to listen to claims that China are the ones paying the tariffs? Or having millions of people in the general public believe these claims when reality is a very grim situation where business after business involved in US manufacturing are doing huge cutbacks and restructuring due to the damages from the tariffs. 

@zamo-zuan 

Being told that Mexico is paying for the wall, while looking at how my beloved Jemex mango nectar has gone up by $.50 a can

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

@ravenm.-4 wrote:

@zamo-zuan 

Being told that Mexico is paying for the wall, while looking at how my beloved Jemex mango nectar has gone up by $.50 a can

Avocados suddenly $2.50 apiece...

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@ravenm.-4 wrote:

@zamo-zuan 

Anyone who thinks this helps the average citizen, needs to take a few economy classes

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

from decades , there is no manufacturing in US, is it Chinese fault ? do you have idea what is minimum labor wage here in US? how consumer can afford it to buy made in US stuff? i guess apple fones also coming from China and 58% American using iphone coming from China,you mean 58% population is using junk? you mean Amazon is junk? who have their brands coming from China? 😄 i guess best is what is best for consumer. and now consumers are going to pay so much to buy stuff from markets specially middle class families. 

There is manufacturing in the US. My car was made in the US. There’s plenty of US manufacturers left.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 25 of 43
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:

There is manufacturing in the US. My car was made in the US. There’s plenty of US manufacturers left.

As mentioned, if we're going by US auto manufacturing, GM lost 18,000 jobs alone since October. They even said it was due to the tariffs put on the raw materials needed for manufacturing. 

We would love to be able to work with only local manufacturers. That would be a huge convenience. But due to the costs, it's not possible. Even the most successful manufacturing companies in the country are reeling from the damage the tariffs are doing. 

Those of us who work in these industries know the truth. We have no reason to lie (unlike those who have motives to say the tariffs are "working"), it's ruining our business and we're just hoping this situation gets resolved as soon as possible.

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:

Yeah, and how many parts of that car were made overseas?

I'd say your car was assembled in the US.

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet 

And Mexico has other markets -- Avocados here in Canada have been very cheap this past winter. And I am seeing more Mexican produce in the supermarket than California...

Avocadoes are 3 for $5Cdn (~$3.75US ) in my local supermarket.

I've also been noticing more Chilean, Peruvian , and Australian produce, since we joined the new TPP (that your president pulled out of).  And since our free trade agreement with the European Union is now in force, I'm expecting we will be selling our steel and wheat there, and buying Belgian chocolate and French warplanes.

@ravenm.-4 

Most autos that are "assembled " in the USA have parts manufactured in North America. The parts bounce back and forth to specialty plants in all three NAFTA countries.

We have one of the few Japanese cars that are still made in Japan (a Honda FIT). Most Japanese, German, and South Korean companies make their cars for the North American market in North America, where the raw materials are cheaper -- or even just available. Japan not only has to import steel but has a highly paid workforce.

Most manufacturing jobs were not lost to overseas-- they were lost to robots.

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

Your car wasn't made in the US, it was assembled in the US. Where do you think the metal, leather, plastic parts, electronics, sound system parts etc. came from? Same with US made clothing - zippers, snaps, buttons, elastic, tags, polybags - all imports. You need to look at integral components, not just finished product. Carrying and insuring inventory costs money. These costs are based on landed LDP prices. The increases are way more than 25% with other overhead factored in. 

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

It’s obvious from his interviews that he doesn’t understand how tariffs work.

Message 30 of 43
latest reply