cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 holiday selling season

Worst by far in 23 years, across ebay and Amazon. I am too lazy to go out and get a job for the Man so 2024 will be the year when I have to ask myself hard questions about being satisfied with the new status quo, curtailing hours to reflect part-time income (I've done that some due to my exercise program), going back to library book sales which I hate or finding non-book items to sell. I am trying to source stuff like that now. I don't see anything that will magically bring big money though. I've already sold off most of anything that I've had in the backlog that brought better money. I have much to think about. 

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: 2023 holiday selling season

@keziak wrote:

What a nice thing to say. Technology and I have a fraught relationship (thank goodness for my kids) and my husband is a lawyer and when he's not working he doesn't want to deal with tech issues. 

About the resellers and thrift stores, we have a large one in town and I never see anyone who appears to me to be a dealer, not even in the books area and the town is full of book dealers. Can't really puzzle that out. 

Well I was going to say 3D Printing has hordes of opportunities but one needs be able create the 3D models and such.

With the thrifts most where I am in Western NY were annihilated by Goodwill, American Vets, Vietnam Vets, Volunteers of America and others, all 501C's all gone.  Some Salvation Army one's still exist.  Goodwill's have been setting up more drop boxes and have a few places where folks can drop off other things like electronics and this/that etc.  They've been closing retail locations in favor of consolidating them and using the Web to sell product.  I guess they get better final sale prices online and like I said the "Pickers" are left without pickin's not that I'm a picker.

Message 46 of 59
latest reply

And as she said........the verbiage is terrible

After receiving the item, contact seller within Refund will be given as Return shipping

looks like they took that out....

Message 47 of 59
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

I just checked 5 and don't see it on any.  Still see it on @keziak 

And as she said........the verbiage is terrible

After receiving the item, contact seller within Refund will be given as Return shipping

@dhbookds Sorry I should have been more specific - I'm not seeing that verbiage, but am seeing the return info under the description instead of in the separate shipping, returns, and payments.

Here's what it looks like on another seller's listing as well.

2023-12-26_11-47-47.jpg

That verbiage you mentioned almost sounds like what you'd expect on a listing with free returns if the buyer was out of the country, so the seller would have to refund the return shipping costs? But I agree if so, it's not worded very well.

Message 48 of 59
latest reply

Oh...I see it now. That "sentence" isn't a sentence that makes zero sense. It's actually the headers.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 49 of 59
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Oh...I see it now. That "sentence" isn't a sentence that makes zero sense. It's actually the headers.

@toomuchstuffagain35  OMG I didn't even notice that. 🤣

I'm going to blame it on still recovering from Christmas day food coma....thanks for making it make sense. lol

Message 50 of 59
latest reply

lol, I had too much too........didn't show up as headers when I first saw it........

Message 51 of 59
latest reply

RE: Our stocks and investments are going fantastic according to our yearly meeting.
You're making me laugh. They're not compared to the 2017-2020. I am in the stock market every day, full time. Unless you've invested 100% in NVDA stock last year,  your financial manager is lying to you. 
So, you're a nurse, farming, hosting estate sales and more. You should not have been here writing comments if you have at least 1 serious business. I am assuming you have a different definition of "making money". I have been on eBay for 12 years, made more  $100K each year except 2023. This is why I came here to see what is going on. When people are making money, they don't have time for this forum. I wasn't here for 5 years.

eBay sellers here because something went wrong. Why are you?

Message 52 of 59
latest reply

Why are you on eBay? After 48 years working for someone else? Sorry to hear that. I am 12 years a solo business owner. I would never go back to work for someone unless I will be really desperate. Plus, I made way more $$$ work for myself. Before 2021 you could make very good money being an eBay store owner.  

Message 53 of 59
latest reply

I'm not sure you are being "singled out" but I looked at your listings.

THIS >>> 

Shipping:
US $380.20 Standard Shipping.
Located in: California, United States
Delivery:
Estimated between Wed, Jan 3 and Mon, Jan 8 to 48757

<<< could be why you aren't selling much. .... 
Message 54 of 59
latest reply

It's not that. For people who are self-employed, it is very difficult to go back to work for someone else. They usually are not going to. I am the same. He will figure out another way to make money himself without being miserable with co-workers, customers, being on time, driving to work..etc. 

Message 55 of 59
latest reply

2023 is bad. I am 12 years on eBay, this one is really bad. You will figure out the additional source of income. Just step back and think. Good luck to you in the future. I hope you will not work for someone else. Happy 2024!

Message 56 of 59
latest reply

Ebay's  search page  system  has a lot of issues  ,when I'm looking for item's. When I do  U.S.   only  I still get about 2 pages of international  listing's.   also  I notice  when I'm in a seller's store and clicking to look at the items  they page drop's off  with ebay sorry can't find it  logo . 

Message 57 of 59
latest reply

Hello everyone, and thank you for your patience.

The proper team has verified that this is indeed a bug and they are working to get this fixed. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 58 of 59
latest reply

Worst indeed. Can't remember such a slow November December in the past 10 years

Message 59 of 59
latest reply