cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20 Days Until Christmas Eve - When will You Close your Shop?

20 days until Christmas Eve.

Unless using Express or overnight with Fedex or UPS, most Sellers have about 15 days to insure delivery or less!

When will you close up Shop?  We typically close with 10 days to go.....thinking earlier this year?? 

But sales haved waned....lots of last minute shoppers to be had??

Worth the headache or no, close up soon??

What are other Sellers doing this year??

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: 20 Days Until Christmas Eve - When will You Close your Shop?

Never close, what’s the point of closing up shop when sales are flowing. For me, December thru May is typically my busiest time but regardless I would never close, just cause. The amount I’ll do in sales will more than enough cover any returns or refunds during the holidays. 

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@firesteel_surplus wrote: ...  ready to go out on Monday or Tuesday depending if the PO is closed on Monday or if UPS is running Monday....

USPS is officially observing Christmas on Monday, December 26, so most PO's will be closed.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/events/

I already kinda figured that just based on my experience working for the feds (not the PO) 31 years.

I didn't think they'd  change operations just because I retired.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus 

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

I don't sell gift items, but to avoid any possible USPS bottlenecks/delays, shutdown of sales for the year will likely be done on the 9th/10th.

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

No closing of shop.

Fortunately, crafters are crafting year round; card makers & scrapbookers are the best customers!!

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

I am confused by the question, What do you mean by close up shop? Do you just end all of your active listings or something? For how long? When do you reopen your shop? Do you have to create all new listings? What do you do while your closed? I don't understand why you would close an online store if you have active listings and you're physically able to pull and package your orders for the mail man to pick up.

Lots of people get money as gifts and then they like to spend it, and when people have money that they received as a gift and didn't have to earn they are a lot more carefree about spending it, so the last week in December is usually one of my most profitable weeks on ebay and at my dayjob as a hairstylist.  

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

@lacshirle-8 wrote:

I am confused by the question, What do you mean by close up shop? Do you just end all of your active listings or something? For how long? When do you reopen your shop? Do you have to create all new listings? What do you do while your closed? I don't understand why you would close an online store if you have active listings and you're physically able to pull and package your orders for the mail man to pick up.

Lots of people get money as gifts and then they like to spend it, and when people have money that they received as a gift and didn't have to earn they are a lot more carefree about spending it, so the last week in December is usually one of my most profitable weeks on ebay and at my dayjob as a hairstylist.  

As I mentioned in my earlier post I never close. But I think I do understand why some sellers do.

The post office routinely puts out messages “If you ship by xx it will get there in time for Christmas”. It is a false boast. The post office can not guarantee that. Major storms can ground airplanes, cause trucks to run off the road, cause a post office’s roof to collapse under the weight of extreme snow (yes that has happened) or be flooded due to a frozen pipe that bursts (yes that has happened too). HOWEVER the buyer, if the package gets delayed, gets all up in the face of the SELLER as if it is their fault. Negative feedback, demands for refunds, etc. Some sellers just don’t want the hassle.

And anyways, if they have an extended family they may want or need (depending on family pressures) to bounce from house to house to spend time with each family. That of course interferes with their shipping schedule.

And they do not want to put up with the procrastinators who wait until the last minute and then want a guarantee they will have it in time. See the first paragraph. My attitude (although I would never say it to a buyer) Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

So, I would suggest that some sellers having had a decent year to date, close down just because they want the freedom of the holidays and/or they do want to put up with unfulfillable demands.

Just my guess.

Anyone else?

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

I have never closed my shop in all the years I've been here.  For me that could be expensive.  The couple weeks after Christmas and January are historically my best sales.

IDK if it is because they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas, or they are out there spending money they got for Christmas, or they are in the spirit and decide to get a jump start on next Christmas.  Whatever it is, it is usually good sales.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 37 of 42
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@krazzykats wrote:

I don't think I will close.  Christmas is on a Sunday.  

@krazzykats 

Do you put a disclaimer in your listings?  (i.e.  Shop by this date to arrive on or before 12/24?)

Do you email buyees to let them know it might not arrive before Santa does??

I wouldn't advise anyone should do that.  USPS is simply not as dependable as it once was.  Even PM and Express mail isn't arriving as it should in too many cases.  So I'd be extremely careful if you are going to put a disclaimer.

But if you feel the need to do one.  Go to the USPS site and use whatever they say.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 38 of 42
latest reply

@lacshirle-8  What most sellers mean when they say "close up shop" is officially known as "time away" in ebayspeak.

Read about it here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/time-away?id=5137

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

We never close....365 days a year, 24/7

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

Might be closing it permanently come 2023.  Long stretch of no sales.  What is the point?

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

I think my store is already closed...very little sales.  I usually close for a week and reorganize the shelves, inventory,  etc.  Worst December ever.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 42 of 42
latest reply