cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 buyer complaints they didn't get their package by date Ebay promised

I received 2 complaints today from buyers that didn't receive their packages by the date that i promised? I didn't promise any delivery date. I'm guessing Ebay did.

One opened a case and then sent me an Ebay message, the other left a positive feedback with a kinda negative message that said i don't give accurate shipping dates. i think they probably ment to give me a negative but gave me a positive my mistake who knows.

I contacted both buyers and told them that USPS does no guarantee any deliver date and i also do not guarantee a delivery date. Its possible Ebay does but they would need to call Ebay for that.  I ship same day or if its after 3pm i will ship it the next day.

Both of these packages are still in transit, and appear to be delayed. I gave both buyers the USPS consumer affairs number that i was given by my local post office and i also told them i would call on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday. I tried calling today but they were already closed when i got the number.

Am i going to be negatively effected by this? If i was to get a negative feedback because USPS didn't deliver the item by the date Ebay promised can that be removed?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

If you aren't participating in the Guaranteed Delivery program what often happens is that buyers don't really notice the exact wording that appears on the listing.

Ebay gives ESTIMATED delivery dates on our listings.  We can't control what dates Ebay puts in this area, it is all in Ebay's control.  The first thing you need to do and respond to your buyers to remind them the purchase record says ESTIMATED delivery date, it does NOT promise a particular delivery date.

Then give the the tracking number for the shipment again.  It would be good for you to go and check the tracking number just to see if there is an issue that you might be able to help with.

Stay upbeat, polite and professional when you communicate with them.  DON'T pour any fuel on the problems or it could blow up on you.

It appears that you already got your FB from them, so it could have been worse.  But you should still work with them if they haven't received their items.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

When I look at the order details they say

Guaranteed delivery: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2019

And

Guaranteed delivery: Friday, Feb 15, 2019

For each one.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Well then.  You are in the Guaranteed Delivery program.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/ebay-guaranteed-delivery.html

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

When looking at your listings, a lot of them say guaranteed by such and such date.  You evidently have been opted into GD by ebay, they did that to me also without me knowing.  Go into your site preferences and opt out of Guarantee Delivery if you do not want it.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

It has been a while since I looked at the Guaranteed Delivery program, but I too was automatically opted into it. After checking these boards out and reading others opinions , I decided to opt out of it.

I can not remember the exact details (some days I am lucky to remember what I went upstairs for confounded), but I thought I read that eBay would reimburse money to the buyer up to a certain date, and then it would fall on the seller.

Perhaps you should search for the words Guaranteed Delivery program and decide if you wish to continue with it.

Or better yet, key in a couple of the items you have up for sale and see how many others are offering Guaranteed Delivery.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

@remote_controls_and_more wrote:

I received 2 complaints today from buyers that didn't receive their packages by the date that i promised? I didn't promise any delivery date. I'm guessing Ebay did.

One opened a case and then sent me an Ebay message, the other left a positive feedback with a kinda negative message that said i don't give accurate shipping dates. i think they probably ment to give me a negative but gave me a positive my mistake who knows.

I contacted both buyers and told them that USPS does no guarantee any deliver date and i also do not guarantee a delivery date. Its possible Ebay does but they would need to call Ebay for that.  I ship same day or if its after 3pm i will ship it the next day.

Both of these packages are still in transit, and appear to be delayed. I gave both buyers the USPS consumer affairs number that i was given by my local post office and i also told them i would call on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday. I tried calling today but they were already closed when i got the number.

Am i going to be negatively effected by this? If i was to get a negative feedback because USPS didn't deliver the item by the date Ebay promised can that be removed?

I just had a buyer have a hissy fit and demand a 50% refund because the package was past due.  He left a negative but was very careful in his messages to imply that he would leave a negative if I didn't give in to his demands but he wasn't explicit so I doubt I could convince anyone it was extortion.  He also flat out accused me of lying about when I dropped it off at the PO because the scan date was several days after the label was printed.  I expect he will file not as described once the package arrives (probably Monday, which will be a whopping 2 business days after the estimated delivery date) and force me to pay for the return.

The funny part is, I looked at his feedback and he has three neutrals in the past year for items being late. 

I'm not bent about it. I realize that a certain percentage of my customers are mentally unstable and something I do or say may be the thing that sets one of them off today. I haven't had one in a long time so I was due and I may just have a few more by the end of the month as they seem to surface in packs.

Needless to say he's been added to my blocked list

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

The link offered earlier in this thread states

that eBay will offer a voucher (or prepaid return label paid by eBay)

if the package is late and the seller shipped on time.

And that eBay will remove negative feedback in those situations.

-------------

"Late Deliveries
What happens when a delivery does not arrive by its guaranteed date and the seller has met all of the criteria?

For customers: If a Fast 'N Free item with a guaranteed delivery date arrives late, eBay will make it right for your buyer with one of these options:

* Voucher for a future eBay purchase
     * Free return label if the sellers accepts returns

For sellers: If a Fast 'N Free item arrives late even though you met the stated handling time, eBay will remove any negative or neutral feedback left by the customer regarding late delivery. We will also provide the buyer recompense for their inconvenience.

We will not protect against late shipment defects, and a seller's listings can be deactivated from the program if they fall below the performance requirements. We reserve the right to rescind this seller benefit at any time.

If I met my same-day or one-day handling time but the item is still delivered late, can buyers leave negative feedback?

eBay will remove negative or neutral feedback regarding late deliveries if the seller met their handling time."

-----------

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

The link offered earlier in this thread states

that eBay will offer a voucher (or prepaid return label paid by eBay)

if the package is late and the seller shipped on time.

And that eBay will remove negative feedback in those situations.

-------------

"Late Deliveries
What happens when a delivery does not arrive by its guaranteed date and the seller has met all of the criteria?

For customers: If a Fast 'N Free item with a guaranteed delivery date arrives late, eBay will make it right for your buyer with one of these options:

* Voucher for a future eBay purchase
     * Free return label if the sellers accepts returns

For sellers: If a Fast 'N Free item arrives late even though you met the stated handling time, eBay will remove any negative or neutral feedback left by the customer regarding late delivery. We will also provide the buyer recompense for their inconvenience.

We will not protect against late shipment defects, and a seller's listings can be deactivated from the program if they fall below the performance requirements. We reserve the right to rescind this seller benefit at any time.

If I met my same-day or one-day handling time but the item is still delivered late, can buyers leave negative feedback?

eBay will remove negative or neutral feedback regarding late deliveries if the seller met their handling time."

-----------

Lynn

I don't think it met the handling time.  Buyer purchased on the 7th, postage was printed and package dropped off on the 9th, but the first carrier scan wasn't until the 14th.

I don't get them scanned when I drop them off because I drop off at the Pak Mail rather than the PO.  A couple of years ago someone working at the PO took a dislike to the fact that I came in every day with packages and decided they were going to destroy some of them.  I lost as many in one month as I had in the previous 17 years.  An investigation by the PO went nowhere.  So I avoid that whole scenario by dropping off at the Pak Mail.  For the most part, it goes smoothly as the regular mail carrier scans all the mail when she picks up.  But like all things, it's never 100% and a rare mess up just happened to coincide with a mentally unstable customer.  But that's ok, the occasional negative is part of the deal.  It's not like they count for anything anyway.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Below is the message I sent to a buyer that complained that he had not received his package by the Guaranteed Delivery Date as he had also checked tracking. I did not get a neg and the package did shake loose and was delivered soon after. I think the most important thing is to agree with what the buyer is saying and then put the onus on eBay. 

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am seeing the same on my end and when going to USPS directly and entering the tracking, same thing.

Item paid for on the 10th and picked up here by USPS on Saturday, the 11th. The package should have been there by now.

In Transit to Next Facility Aug-17-18, 00:00 AM

In Transit to Next Facility Aug-16-18, 00:00 AM

In Transit to Next Facility Aug-15-18, 00:00 AM

Departed USPS Regional Facility Aug-14-18, 04:49 AM, DALLAS TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility Aug-13-18, 23:20 PM, DALLAS TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

In Transit to Next Facility Aug-13-18, 00:00 AM

In Transit to Next Facility Aug-12-18, 00:00 AM

USPS picked up item Aug-11-18, 12:58 PM, TERRELL, TX 75160

If the shipment does not shake loose by Monday morning, I will call the USPS 1-800 number and open a case.

I guarantee to ship same business day if ordered before 12:00pm CDT and next business day if ordered after 12:00pm CDT.

eBay provides a Guaranteed Delivery Date and backs that up with a guarantee you can find here:

https://pages.ebay.com/shipping/guaranteed-delivery.html

Best Regards,   ----   calntom

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@dande2016 wrote:

When looking at your listings, a lot of them say guaranteed by such and such date.  You evidently have been opted into GD by ebay, they did that to me also without me knowing.  Go into your site preferences and opt out of Guarantee Delivery if you do not want it.

I am going to be harsh here in hopes the point is made - but this needs to be cleared up!

There is no more "opting in" or "opting out" of the Guaranteed Delivery (GD) program - PERIOD!  eBay made an announcement this Fall that ANY and ALL shipments that qualify for the "Fast n Free" designation, also meet the requirement for the GD program and would receive such.  It is eBay's call, because it is 1) eBay's estimate of delivery times AND 2) eBay's money on the line when the GD fails and someone has to pay!

So if you are so opposed to giving your buyers an advantage or something they may be looking for go and change your handling time to 4-days and that way you will guarantee your listings will never be in the GD program!

But please, read & understand the GD program.  It really IS a benefit to sellers.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@stickboy1974 wrote:

It has been a while since I looked at the Guaranteed Delivery program, but I too was automatically opted into it. After checking these boards out and reading others opinions , I decided to opt out of it.

I can not remember the exact details (some days I am lucky to remember what I went upstairs for confounded), but I thought I read that eBay would reimburse money to the buyer up to a certain date, and then it would fall on the seller.

Perhaps you should search for the words Guaranteed Delivery program and decide if you wish to continue with it.

Or better yet, key in a couple of the items you have up for sale and see how many others are offering Guaranteed Delivery.

Me thinks one needs to reread the GD program details and IF confused or unsure post on the boards to get information.   Too many people have their head in the sand over this.

Then again perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut and let sellers shoot them self in the foot - it sure makes my selling easier if a seller self imposes something that hurts their business and gives me a competitive advantage!

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@18704d 

Why would you post such information?  That makes it look like the GD program is a good thing for sellers!  How can anyone rail against that information?  What do you think you are doing? heart_eyes sunglasses stuck_out_tongue_winking_eyegrinning

I gotta go and put my head back in the sand......

ps- hope one understand sarcastic, dry humor?

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Well according to this i'm protected from negative feedback. I guess i will not try to opt out of this as long as i'm protected. I will just have to deal with angry buyer blaming me for something Ebay has promised them. Will just have to explain it to them i guess.

I actually had a 3rd buyer contact me today about a missing package but he didn't actually blame me he just asked for me help. So when i call the USPS Consumer Affairs number on Tuesday i have 3 packages to inquire about. I have called in the past and usually after calling them they start moving. They call the center where the package is and have them look for it and it usually works.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@remote_controls_and_more wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Well according to this i'm protected from negative feedback. I guess i will not try to opt out of this as long as i'm protected. I will just have to deal with angry buyer blaming me for something Ebay has promised them. Will just have to explain it to them i guess.

I actually had a 3rd buyer contact me today about a missing package but he didn't actually blame me he just asked for me help. So when i call the USPS Consumer Affairs number on Tuesday i have 3 packages to inquire about. I have called in the past and usually after calling them they start moving. They call the center where the package is and have them look for it and it usually works.

Yes.  Just be apologetic, polite and professional.  Just put on that customer service hat and do your best to smooth things over.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply