cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13% selling fee for a musical instrument pedal!? per eBay's chart, it should only be 6.5% for this

I just sold a guitar pedal on eBay and was shocked to see a 13% fee for the transaction.  looking at their Fees page/chart, they should have only charged me 6.5% for Music Gear sales.   Has anyone experienced similar?

This is inappropriate and I need to get refunded the appropriate amount for this transaction.

TIA

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

13% selling fee for a musical instrument pedal!? per eBay's chart, it should only be 6.5% for this

The way I read it the 6.5% is for guitars and basses...............  not ALL gear.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

That percentage is for guitars and basses...not accessories

Musical Instruments & Gear > Guitars & Basses

• 6.35% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500 calculated per item
  • 2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500

I might be wrong, but that's what it looks like

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

hmm.... I assumed/hoped it would apply to all musical gear....!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

that is why it is in bold print in that chart

it is very specific sub categories for some of the discounted rates

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

on another fees eBay it says:

Musical Instruments & Gear > Guitars & Basses    

• 6.35% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500 calculated per item
  • 2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

that's what i said...look at that fee chart..

the 'specific' sub-categories are in bold that qualify for those discounted rates....

another example:

Select Clothing, Shoes & Accessories categories:

• Men > Men's Shoes > Athletic Shoes
  • Women > Women's Shoes > Athletic Shoes

Free if starting price is $150 or more*- See: Notes for Basic fees

• 8% if total amount of the sale is $150 or more. The per order fee is not charged
  • 13.25% if total amount of the sale is less than $150

NOT dress shoes, boots, socks or slippers.....Athletic Shoes

qualify for special rates

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Originally when Ebay lowered the category fees (to compete with Reverb), it included pedals.

It now is only for guitars and basses. Its been like this for awhile now.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

You know what happens when you assume...

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

highway robbery!!    they need to be more specific about fees and items!!   Won't be using eBay again!   Reverb's fees are much more reasonable from what I have seen described on their website!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@paulsgroove wrote:

highway robbery!!    they need to be more specific about fees and items!!   Won't be using eBay again!   Reverb's fees are much more reasonable from what I have seen described on their website!

I cross list on Reverb and Ebay. Different clientele and average selling prices can vary.  I am not here to defend Ebay or anyone but the fees are not hidden. The fees have been this way for awhile and it is the Sellers responsibility to know what they are signing up for. I do better Internationally with Ebay than i do with Reverb. Also find you can get a little more for your items on Ebay (average selling items) but you must figure the fees into your bottom line.

You did sell a cool piece of gear (musitronics octave divider) but i would of sold it as a fixed listing vs. auction. That way you can add the additional cost/fees into the price if needed. If i had that item i would of listed as a fixed price listing (as Reverb only does) and promoted it because it is a rare item. Could of been priced at least double of what it sold for.

Good luck and i would continue to post on Ebay. Just make sure you have it priced on what you want and figure out the fees so there are no surprises.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

They're very specific about fees.  You just didn't read their terms correctly.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@paulsgroove wrote:

hmm.... I assumed/hoped it would apply to all musical gear....!

That makes no sense at all.  Why would the fees page specify "Musical Instruments & Gear > Guitars & Basses"  if the 6% rate applied to the whole category rather than to the specifed subcategory?

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@paulsgroove wrote:

From what you described in your initial post, I have to assume that the same can be said about "what you saw described on ebay's site"?

or is it what I think it is.....

You put it in the category you knew was 6.5%.....

or was it in the proper category?

• Guitars & Basses ----> Parts & Accessories ----> Effects Pedals

Message 14 of 14
latest reply