cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the scam here?

I know this is a scam, but I can't figure out how it would work. Buyer made a $100 offer on an item with a $15 BIN. They just joined eBay today and of course had 0 feedback. I initially thought it might have been a typo and that they meant to offer $10, so I messaged them and asked them to re-submit. Their reply asked me to call them and gave a number with the same area code as mine (NYC is a big place, so that might be a coincidence). Obvious scammer. I of course didn't do it, declined the offer, and blocked them.

I googled the number and it led to a couple of websites that were gibberish (I wasn't thinking and mistakenly opened one, but that's going to be a job for my antivirus program to deal with). Anyway, what's the game here? I assume that had I called them, they'd then use my contact information for nefarious purposes, but what would be the endgame of the high bid? Is this like one of those things where they send a check for way more that the item is worth and ask for the difference to be sent to them, and then 2 weeks later their check bounces? I don't know how that would work with electronic payments.

Also, is there a way to report the so-called buyer to eBay? I tried looking around, but it seems that the only way to report someone is if they've already completed a transaction.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)