cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those of us in electronics/computers

We have a high return rate due to scams, buyers remorse etc. Especially on laptops. 

Personally I have  a 17.17% return rate. Motly due to claims of "Doesn't work or defective" in order to get a refund and free return shipping. How will this affect us selling on ebay in these categories? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@ecocomputertvrepairrecycling wrote:

We have a high return rate due to scams, buyers remorse etc. Especially on laptops. 

Personally I have  a 17.17% return rate. Motly due to claims of "Doesn't work or defective" in order to get a refund and free return shipping. How will this affect us selling on ebay in these categories? 

Hi @ecocomputertvrepairrecycling thanks for your question. High return rates (like 17%) for the reasons you describe can often mean you need more transactions to be reviewed in a benchmark to compare your sales to other items.  

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

What do you mean?
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@raquel_bayarea wrote:

Hi @ecocomputertvrepairrecycling thanks for your question. High return rates (like 17%) for the reasons you describe can often mean you need more transactions to be reviewed in a benchmark to compare your sales to other items.  

I 2nd OP's response to your reply 
what does that mean ?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Some years, as I predict this year, I will have at least 1000 sales in electronics and computers with a return rate of around 17%. Even with 1000s of sales the return rate will be that high due to the nature of consumer behavior in electronics sales/e-commerce. In this case a 17% return rate is not the result of 1 buyer out of 5 buyers opening a return case.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

@raquel_bayarea wrote:

I 2nd OP's response to your reply 
what does that mean ?

@labs118 and @ecocomputertvrepairrecycling this means that we look into a certain minimum number of transactions to review your not as describe request rate in the benchmark. For example, if you sell 20 transactions and have received 3 not as described requests out of the 20, your rate is 15%. However, this will not be placed in a peer benchmark and you would not be subject to additional fees or delivery estimate extensions. 

On the scenarios where buyers file requests for not as described but are really for remorse, we are aware of some products and categories being more subject to these issues (like laptops). This is considered in your peergroup.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

"On the scenarios where buyers file requests for not as described but are really for remorse, we are aware of some products and categories being more subject to these issues (like laptops). This is considered in your peergroup."

Good to know. A lot of what I sell is TV and computer parts, and unfortunately when end-consumers fail to diagnose their TV or computer properly they send it back stating that the part must be broken. As a result this among other things leads to a high return rate. 

I dont mind the 17% loss, and account for it in my business, although hope that eBay does not attempt to shut down my store or reduce my sales because of this. It would only affect both eBay and my business negatively financially. All because a few scammers and stubborn people are lying to us. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If we try to make adjustments to eBay's selling system based on the integrity of consumers we might be setting ourselves up for failure.

Let me add to that: 

Most buyers are good honest people 🙂 But the ones who aren't have the capacity to do a lot of damage. 

Thanks for all the quick responses. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Just remember - this is RETROACTIVE. So if you change now, but had problems a year ago, you are probably still toast. This falls under "How can we get more below-standard sellers to get another 4% FVF?" umbrella.