cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Ebay protect sellers from chargeback claims as well on partial refunds?

"Starting June 1, 2018, if you offered free returns and an item is returned damaged or missing parts, you can issue a partial refund and we will protect you from any buyer claims and remove any negative or neutral feedback."

What is the buyer initiates a chargeback claim for the remaining amount of the refund?  Will Ebay also cover that since it is technically a buyer claim as well?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Will Ebay protect sellers from chargeback claims as well on partial refunds?

eBay is not involved in chargebacks, and there is nothing they can do to stop them.

Buyers have consumer rights that cannot be interfered with, and PayPal will pick up eBay's slack by having to settle disputes filed by buyers who only get 50% of their money back.

The pendulum here always swings back the other way - it's buyers' turn to be unhappy.  Only difference is, when buyers leave, they never come back.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Re: Will Ebay protect sellers from chargeback claims as well on partial refunds?

@ckbremswrote:

highglossfashion,

Once a return is opened on ebay, the buyer cannot open a secondary case on PayPal. 

Thanks,
CK

@ckbrems The buyer CAN file  secondary case with PayPal. We see it here all the time. This has been the case since eBay and PayPal split. Paypal removed the double

jeopardy clause and buyers can now file with both eBay and PayPal as long as the eBay case is filed with first. The only time a secondary case isn’t possible is if the buyer files with PayPal first. You may have made it unnecessary for buyers to file chargebacks but that doesn’t mean they won’t file one. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@ckbremswrote:
It is the seller's discretion whether to issue a partial refund and how much.  If the buyer disagrees and asks eBay to step in "step in" we will resolve the issue directly with the buyer and you won't have to worry about any buyer protection cases.  In some cases, we may give the buyer the rest of their refund and in other cases we may deny their request...

@ckbrems

Out of whose pocket would eBay refund the buyer?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

Out of whose pocket would eBay refund the buyer?

Found your response here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Protections/Seller-protection-for-faulty-returns/m-p/28173214#M...

@ckbremswrote:

highglossfashion,

1. You can issue a partial refund of 50% or more of what the buyer paid and receive these protections.
2. No evidence will be required.
3. If eBay decides to issue a refund for the remaining portion, this will come from eBay not the seller.
4. Yes, this is available in all categories

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@banjawrote:

"Starting June 1, 2018, if you offered free returns and an item is returned damaged or missing parts, you can issue a partial refund and we will protect you from any buyer claims and remove any negative or neutral feedback."

What is the buyer initiates a chargeback claim for the remaining amount of the refund?  Will Ebay also cover that since it is technically a buyer claim as well?

Your question got ducked 4 times here on this topic, but the answer is in Message 13 here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Simplified-Returns/Will-partial-refund-possibility-be-crystal-clear-to...

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@ckbremswrote:

highglossfashion,

Once a return is opened on ebay, the buyer cannot open a secondary case on PayPal. 

Thanks,
CK

@ckbrems

I know you mean well and I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you in any way, but you are mistaken.  Buyer can and DO file claims in PP even though they have filed one in Ebay previously on the same transaction.  You may want to look into this a bit more.  And it would be GREAT if Ebay would work with PP so this stops immediately if not sooner.  But I assure you buyers can and do take advantage of this.  Especially if they file in Ebay and lose their case.

I hope you will look into this more and get back to us on how we can be better protected against this behavior.  The simple act of reporting the buyer to Ebay is just not enough and is rarely effective.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

The question for me is what exactly do they (or are they saying) they will protect us against. It's ambiguious the way they word things. Plus, they change their minds mid stream. I can't trust that they'll really offer us much protection. I wouldn't stake my life on it.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@ted_200wrote:

@banjawrote:

Your question got ducked 4 times here on this topic, but the answer is in Message 13 here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Simplified-Returns/Will-partial-refund-possibility-be-crystal-clear-to...

Thanks - for those that don't want to follow the link, here is the answer:

"If a PayPal dispute is filed, the case is handled on/by PayPal. eBay wouldn't be involved with any case decisions or actions at that point."

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@banjawrote:

@ted_200wrote:

@banjawrote:

Thanks - for those that don't want to follow the link, here is the answer:

"If a PayPal dispute is filed, the case is handled on/by PayPal. eBay wouldn't be involved with any case decisions or actions at that point."

While this is quite true, it does NOT mean that PP will not consider any actions, lack of action taken, or information on the Ebay side of the transaction.  It just means, and understandably so, that PP is the one in charge of any decision made on any claim or chargeback filed on their site.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

eBay is not involved in chargebacks, and there is nothing they can do to stop them.

Buyers have consumer rights that cannot be interfered with, and PayPal will pick up eBay's slack by having to settle disputes filed by buyers who only get 50% of their money back.

The pendulum here always swings back the other way - it's buyers' turn to be unhappy.  Only difference is, when buyers leave, they never come back.

Hi eponymous,

We know that when a buyer files a chargeback it is a difficult situation for the seller. Although we can’t stop chargebacks, we’ve made it easy for buyers to get help from eBay so they don’t have to turn to Paypal or initiate a chargeback. In most cases, eBay is going to give the buyer their money back, and we’ll pay for it.

We'll monitor buyers who ask us to step in often to ensure they're not taking advantage of the program.  If we detect a buyer is abusing the program, we may still give them their money back but restrict them from opening future returns. 

Thanks,

CK

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@ckbremswrote:

highglossfashion,

Thanks,
CK

@ckbrems

I know you mean well and I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you in any way, but you are mistaken.  Buyer can and DO file claims in PP even though they have filed one in Ebay previously on the same transaction.  You may want to look into this a bit more.  And it would be GREAT if Ebay would work with PP so this stops immediately if not sooner.  But I assure you buyers can and do take advantage of this.  Especially if they file in Ebay and lose their case.

I hope you will look into this more and get back to us on how we can be better protected against this behavior.  The simple act of reporting the buyer to Ebay is just not enough and is rarely effective.

mam98031 and jen_proudleowife,

I want to let you know we hear your question and want to ensure we have all the right details.  We are looking into this further to confirm when a return is opened on eBay, how this affects a buyer's ability to open a PayPal buyer protection case.

Thanks,

CK

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@ckbremswrote:

@mam98031wrote:

@ckbremswrote:

highglossfashion,

Thanks,
CK

@ckbrems

I want to let you know we hear your question and want to ensure we have all the right details.  We are looking into this further to confirm when a return is opened on eBay, how this affects a buyer's ability to open a PayPal buyer protection case.

Thanks,

CK

@ckbrems

Thank you for looking into this, however please know there is NO policy in place on PP to prevent a claim from being filed in PP after the customer has filed one in Ebay and lost or even won the claim.  This is NOT specific to a chargeback.  It can be a regular INR or SNAD too.  PP has nothing in their current policies to stop or prevent cutomers from doing this.

It should be noted that because of this could end up with a buyer being refunded twice.  Once at Ebay's expense and once at the seller's.  It is wrong but it is currently happening and has for awhile.  I've brought this up before on threads and the weekly chat as well.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@ckbremswrote:

@mam98031wrote:

@ckbremswrote:

highglossfashion,

Thanks,
CK

@ckbrems

Thanks,

CK

@ckbrems

Thank you for looking into this, however please know there is NO policy in place on PP to prevent a claim from being filed in PP after the customer has filed one in Ebay and lost or even won the claim.  This is NOT specific to a chargeback.  It can be a regular INR or SNAD too.  PP has nothing in their current policies to stop or prevent cutomers from doing this.

It should be noted that because of this could end up with a buyer being refunded twice.  Once at Ebay's expense and once at the seller's.  It is wrong but it is currently happening and has for awhile.  I've brought this up before on threads and the weekly chat as well.

mam98031, 

When you open a case on eBay, you cannot open a secondary case on PayPal while the case is open or if the case is adjudicated. It is possible to close an eBay case while it is still open and then open a replacement case on PayPal. If a PayPal case is opened, a secondary case on eBay can never be opened regardless of what happens with the PayPal case. 

If you have examples of this not working correctly, please send them to me and I will investigate. 

Thanks, 
CK 

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@ckbremswrote:

@mam98031wrote:

@ckbremswrote:

@mam98031wrote:

@ckbremswrote:

highglossfashion,

Thanks,
CK

@ckbrems

Thanks,

CK

@ckbrems

mam98031, 

When you open a case on eBay, you cannot open a secondary case on PayPal while the case is open or if the case is adjudicated. It is possible to close an eBay case while it is still open and then open a replacement case on PayPal. If a PayPal case is opened, a secondary case on eBay can never be opened regardless of what happens with the PayPal case. 

If you have examples of this not working correctly, please send them to me and I will investigate. 

Thanks, 
CK 

Then you should have someone from Ebay notify PP of this because there is NOTHING in PP's policies that prevents this from happening.  And I have first hand knowledge of this happening just a couple weeks ago.  A partial refund to a buyer was issued per an agreement within the claim between the buyer and the seller.  After than claim was satisfied and the refund was issued, the buyer immediately went to PP and opened a claim.  PP allowed it.

In regards to secifically to a  chargeback on PP, CCCs do NOT verify with Ebay if there is a current claim open or one that has been closed.  

Message 29 of 29
latest reply