cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Partial Refund Protection Only for Limited Categories?

On http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html it states:

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

Does this mean:

A: Only free returns in the above categories get partial refund seller protection.

B: All categories with free returns get partial refund seller protection, but sellers *also* get partial refund protection on *all returns* in the above selected categories regardless of whether or not free returns was offers?
C: Something else?

Another question I have is this: In the Fall 2017 update at http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017-fall/returns.html eBay said "Starting Fall 2017, you will have added protection when you offer free returns. You can deduct up to 50% of the item price if the returned item is damaged or missing parts."

Because of this statement, I had already began offering free returns based on this stated protection. Was I really not given this protection until the timeline in the new Spring 2018 update? Also, I don't see any category restrictions in the Fall 2017 update. What is the difference?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I do not understand how you feel that partial refund protection is actually protection.

If you sell a mint item for $100 and the buyer returns a different broke item that is worthless, how is refunding the buyer $50 good for the you?  You are still out money, you have been scammed out of a perfectly good item and are $50 plus the cost to ship it both ways poorer.

I don't see it as protection, I see it as ebay seeing the amount of scamming being done to sellers and placating sellers by cutting their loss - but the sellers are still taking a loss.

The cost of that cut is even more loss in the form of return shipping to the buyer.

(*Bleep*)
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@justin_collection wrote:

On http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html it states:

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

Does this mean:

A: Only free returns in the above categories get partial refund seller protection.

B: All categories with free returns get partial refund seller protection, but sellers *also* get partial refund protection on *all returns* in the above selected categories regardless of whether or not free returns was offers?
C: Something else?

Another question I have is this: In the Fall 2017 update at http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017-fall/returns.html eBay said "Starting Fall 2017, you will have added protection when you offer free returns. You can deduct up to 50% of the item price if the returned item is damaged or missing parts."

Because of this statement, I had already began offering free returns based on this stated protection. Was I really not given this protection until the timeline in the new Spring 2018 update? Also, I don't see any category restrictions in the Fall 2017 update. What is the difference?

justin_collection,

When you offer free returns and accept the return, you can issue a partial refund due to the item being used or damaged. This is available in every category and the protections will apply.

Since the Fall 2017 update, if a buyer asks us to "step in" we will resolve the issue directly with the buyer and you won't have to worry about any buyer protection cases and it will never affect your seller standards.  We're expanding this, so starting in June, if the buyer is unhappy with the outcome and leaves negative or neutral feedback, we'll automatically remove it from your reputation.

In certain categories, you have the ability to give a partial refund even when you choose not to offer free returns. These categories including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, and Garden & Outdoor.

Partial refunds in these categories are eligible for the protections mentioned above when you offered free returns.

When you choose not to offer free returns, there are still several protections. On all returns we employ several measures to protect you.  We'll monitor buyers who ask us to step often or file a lot of not as described cases, to ensure they're not taking advantage of the program and remove their feedback and defects.  We have developed ways to detect if a buyer is misusing the "significantly not as described" reason for a return early in a returns process, and have the ability to prevent them starting a return and may restrict them from buying further.  We are also publishing clearly defined guidelines for buyers about acceptable returns.

Thanks,
CK

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Great answers! I’m excited about this seller update!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply