cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Status: You requested a return - the seller should respond soon"

I ordered an item and the seller sent something  completely different.

Previously here on the forums I've been told to never message the seller for resolution and to instead just open a return and let eBay handle it.

So following this advice I open a return.  I upload a photo of the wrong item.  I'm presented with a shipping label to print.

Makes sense.

However If I go back and look at the refund it says "Status: You requested a return - the seller should respond soon - view refund status"

If I click on "view return status" I'm directed to a page that says "Awaiting shipment - Return the item by Aug 18. If you have already shipped it you can expect your refund to be issued within 3 business days of delivery"

What does "the seller should respond soon" therefore mean?   

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: "Status: You requested a return - the seller should respond soon"

The seller still has to respond with refund after return, or no return, and just refund,or offer a partial refund,I think he has five days.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Or he can refuse to refund after return, in that case, Ebay will refund you quickly without returning the item, and he will also receive a defect to his account.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Could be another eBay "glitch".

It seems that the seller has responded, and a shipping label has been provided.

As an aside:  the "never message the seller",  is subjective. Messaging the seller is the polite thing to do. To me, not messaging the seller when there is an issue, in some instances is just "rude". Resolution could be immediate when contacting the seller.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

As a seller I would want the buyer to email me first before opening a resolution.

Sometimes the seller can solve the problem immediately. Now you have to wait and wait for a refund and have to repack the item and drop it in the post office or whatever. If only you emailed the seller first...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

". If only you emailed the seller first..."

God I hate this forum, full of people like you whose #1 goal is to first find fault.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

The seller never responded. 

As soon as I opened the case ebay presented me with a shipping label  Immediately.

I know for some items the seller would rather issue a refund and not have the item sent back since I assume they pay the return shipping.

To me this is a case of eBay just not being clear.  Instead of immediately telling the buyer to print a label they should defer and give the seller time to select what they want to do.

Of course I doubt anyone from eBay reads these posts

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Just check your ebay messages for updates.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@tonyjones wrote:

The seller never responded. 

As soon as I opened the case ebay presented me with a shipping label  Immediately.

I know for some items the seller would rather issue a refund and not have the item sent back since I assume they pay the return shipping.

To me this is a case of eBay just not being clear.  Instead of immediately telling the buyer to print a label they should defer and give the seller time to select what they want to do.

Of course I doubt anyone from eBay reads these posts

When the case is opened, it is the seller who responds with the label.  It just look  like eBay is sending it.  I have automatic returns but I still have to decide if I want to send a label or just refund.  The seller responds to the case, not the buyer.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

"When the case is opened, it is the seller who responds with the label. It just look like eBay is sending it. "

I clicked to enter the return request and IMMEDIATELY was presented with a page showing a return label and told to mail it back.   

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Rules of Engagement.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@tonyjones wrote:

"When the case is opened, it is the seller who responds with the label. It just look like eBay is sending it. "

I clicked to enter the return request and IMMEDIATELY was presented with a page showing a return label and told to mail it back.   

Okay, have you sent it back and if so have you uploaded the label number into the actual case you opened? It is supposed to be automatic but I would check just incase as this could be triggering the seller has to respond message.

As soon as it shows delivered, you should get your refund and if you don't you go back to the case again and eBay will force therefund.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@downunder-61 

I think you've lost track of the original question.   I'm not concerned about the refund.

I was asking only why the eBay message was still saying (today) "Status: You requested a return - the seller should respond soon" when though yesterday they immediately presented me with a label (which I printed) as soon as I created the return case.

As I said, my expectation was that the buyer should gave the seller time to propose an alternate resolution so:

a) I don't understand why eBay immediately tried to get me to print a label

b) still shows a status of "the seller should respond soon"

that is all.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I think, because you were immediately issued a return label as soon as you filed, that label came from Ebay, and they will charge the sellers account when its used. I would wait to see if the seller responds to the case, before returning the item. Thats usually five days, he may not want the item back and will just refund you. If he does not respond, Ebay will refund you without having to return the item.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@bonjourami  I already mailed it back yesterday.     

I think eBay could improve the process and the messages displayed here so it's clearer what the buyer is expected to do.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: