cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay needs to remove all character limits

At present the character limits for any communications are so small and restrictive, that you cannot use eBay to properly communicate.  It is bad enough that the system used removes all return breaks making the communications a giant block of words which a normal person cannot read coherently.  But when you try to reply the character limit shrinks drastically.  It is impossible to communicate and do so in a reasonable manner with just 99 words (500~ characters).  These are generally not simple disputes and character limits only make it more frustrating and encourage bad feelings between the buyers and the sellers because they cannot properly communicate what they are saying or respond in full to claims that were made.  

In fact, the character limits at all parts of eBay should be removed.  If I am reporting an item or a user, the description should not be limited.  I should be able to describe all the issues without having to remove important context and information.  I also should not have to use inaccurate terms because the character limit won't allow an accurate description.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Data takes space and creates server load or in other words costs money.   Yes large blocks of text are not so easy to read but  white space is not free.   Just have to use fewer words when you message.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I don't like character limits, but if I ever run into them I try to use smaller words to get my point across as best I can while hitting the necessary details. I tend to be an extremely wordy person and friends hate me on Discord and Instagram lol, people like me need to be stopped or we will write novels that nobody wants to read. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I toss in a couple of dashes  --  to break up paragraphs.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Please do not encourage ebay to take on projects that have little or no value when there are literally MOUNTAINS of broken features around here...some a decade or more old

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: