cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller cheating a senior citizen buyer.

Please help me, I really don not know how to resolve this injustice.   Purchased a pair of sandals.  The shoes were $14.99 plus $9.95 shipping.    Unfortunately, the shoes were to large, so the same minute I received them I packaged neatly and asked for a label for a return.  I was told that I have to paid $9.95 return shipping which a paid and send the item back.  The seller has refunded me $5.00. I sent a copy the payment tru Paypal that indicated I paid $24.94.  I paid for the return and no explanation as to why they are stealing my money....  what can I do?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Seller cheating a senior citizen buyer.

What was the reason you selected for the return?  

Shoes are not a great item for mail order as you can't check size before purchase.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

@bagscrazy wrote:

Please help me, I really don not know how to resolve this injustice.   

The shoes were [1.] $14.99 plus [2.] $9.95 shipping.    Unfortunately, the shoes were to large, so the same minute I received them I packaged neatly and asked for a label for a return. 

I was told that I have to paid [3.] $9.95 return shipping which a paid and send the item back. 

[The seller] has refunded me [4.] $5.00. I sent a copy the payment tru Paypal that indicated I paid $24.94.  I paid for the return and no explanation as to why they are stealing my money....  what can I do? 

No, you were not cheated @bagscrazy and that seniority itself tells you seniority isn't a card to play. 

qeqo_0_0-1693029627947.jpeg

You paid [1.] $14.99 for the shoes

-- and returned them for buyer's remorse

-- which deducts both original and return shipping.

Original shipping was [2.] $9.95, which isn't refunded for buyer's remorse. 

The [3.] $9.95 for return shipping was deducted, leaving a [4.] $5.00 refund: $14.99 - $9.95 = $5.00

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

You are absolutely wrong....The shoes were $14.99 plus $9.95 shipping. I paid tru PAYPAL, $24.94 plus tax.  I paid for the shipping to me $9.95.    I was informed the seller accept returns.   Shoes were large and I returned the shoes the same day.    I GOT A LABEL FROM EBAY AND $9.95 WERE DEDUCTED FROM THE $24.94 TOTAL OF THE TRANSACTION.

The total amount was $24.94 the seller changed to $19.90 I don't know where did they get that number....Maybe they don't have a calculator, because $14.99 + $9.95 =  is $24.94.    SHIPPING THE ITEM TO ME, WAS PAID BY ME.   THE SHIPPING CHARGES OF THE RETURN WAS PAID BY ME TOO.... I don't use my seniority, like someone so rudely mentioned.   I could be 15 and that don't change the fact that they are unnecessarily cheating me.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

"... and no explanation as to why they are stealing my money...."

@bagscrazy 

Actually, the seller is operating under eBay's guidelines for Returns. If you cited a remorse reason (i.e., 'Didn't fit') in your Return request, the seller can retain the initial shipping charge and you'll pay return shipping.

Here's eBay's official explanation. >> eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@bagscrazy wrote:

You are absolutely wrong....The shoes were $14.99 plus $9.95 shipping. I paid tru PAYPAL, $24.94 plus tax.  I paid for the shipping to me $9.95.    I was informed the seller accept returns.   Shoes were large and I returned the shoes the same day.    I GOT A LABEL FROM EBAY AND $9.95 WERE DEDUCTED FROM THE $24.94 TOTAL OF THE TRANSACTION.

The total amount was $24.94 the seller changed to $19.90 I don't know where did they get that number....Maybe they don't have a calculator, because $14.99 + $9.95 =  is $24.94.    SHIPPING THE ITEM TO ME, WAS PAID BY ME.   THE SHIPPING CHARGES OF THE RETURN WAS PAID BY ME TOO.... I don't use my seniority, like someone so rudely mentioned.   I could be 15 and that don't change the fact that they are unnecessarily cheating me.

Yes you paid the seller $24.95....... BUT ....$9.95 of that money the seller received was used by the seller to pay for shipping leaving the seller with  $14.95 left. 

Then you paid for return shipping out of the intended refund.... so subtract another $9.95... leaving you with

$4.95.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

To simply:

$25 paid 

minus $10 (original shipping)

minus $10 (return shipping)

= $5

The refund was done correctly. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I don't use my seniority, like someone so rudely mentioned. 

-------------------------------------------------

Really ???   🤣

The title of your post seems to imply something along those lines🤣

"Seller cheating a senior citizen buyer"

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Exactly.

Senior citizen buyer. Just makes me want to puke

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

The refund is right.

The original $9.95 you paid for shipping is not refunded.

The price of the sandals was $14.99, which the return shipping is deducted from that, which leaves the $5 refund you received.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Sorry but no...  $10  {original shipping}  Paid by me

$10 {return shipping}  Paid by me

They did not spend any money on shipping charges.  I retuned their item

and now they have the item back and still want me to paid more...seriously?

I am losing $20 on this transaction and all I wanted is for them to refund my mother's money.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@bagscrazy wrote:

Sorry but no...  $10  {original shipping}  Paid by me

$10 {return shipping}  Paid by me

They did not spend any money on shipping charges.  I retuned their item

and now they have the item back and still want me to paid more...seriously?

I am losing $20 on this transaction and all I wanted is for them to refund my mother's money.

Okay ..then going by YOUR logic....you end up with the correct amount of $4.95. So it is still correct. Ebay took return shipping off of your $14.95 refund.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

WE are not eBay employees, we are other buyers and sellers.

Sounds like you returned the shoes because they don't fit, that is a remorse return and what you got was how it works. 

Getting angry or upset at the replies here will get you nowhere because there is absolutely nothing, we can do about it. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

The seller is not cheating anybody and using "senior citizen" in your title is equivalent to asking for special treatment.  You either want the seller to follow proper policies or  you want special treatment, which is it?

Like others have told you, but you do not seem to understand, I will try to break it down for you as well.  This is not meant to be insulting, just very clearly spelled out so it will be hard to misunderstand.

sandals  $14.99  paid by you

original shipping to you $9.95 paid by you

total paid by you is $24.94

Of that $24.94, ONLY $14.99 is reimbursable because the $9.95 paid for the shipping....it shipped, that money is now used and gone so it goes no further with your issue.

So $24.94 - the used shipping of $9.95 = $14.99 left to work with

So you have the $14.99 and you PURCHASE a return shipping label thru eBay for $9.95 to send the item back, the shipping label cost will be deducted from the refund amount of $14.99 (unless you have a separate transaction for the shipping label, which would be unusual)

So the seller receives the sandals back and issue the refund of $14.99 and there is a blurb about buyer's shipping label will be deducted from the refund amount but I don't read it closely enough to know the actual verbiage

So $14.99  refund for sandals

minus $9.95 for the shipping label you PURCHASED thru eBay is now deducted from the refund amount by eBay to eBay to pay for the label that you used.

is $5.04 (not sure what your state is if there is tax on shipping or shoes so could be different amount)

The seller did exactly what they were supposed to.  You are misunderstanding the situation.  You have to look at the return policy when purchasing to see if it is free return shipping or if you pay to ship items back. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

If it doesn't matter, if you aren't trying to use it to sway a decision why mention being a senior citizen? 

I know it's easy to do, I have had to tell my own mom when she didn't get the sale price on something she was contacting the grocery store and mentioned to me that she was a senior citizen.........I asked her if she wanted them to honor their policies or have special treatment.  She wanted them to honor their policies and did not see how throwing out the senior citizen was kind of like an entitlement until I mentioned it. 

She also recently complained about having to pay return shipping so we covered that as well. 

So while you may not be trying to use senior citizen status as some way to help your case.....it will read like you think you are entitled to many people.  It is better, in my opinion, to just go with the facts and policies and treat everyone as if they were you.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: