cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund denied Pullover described as 100% Cashmere was Wool, Acrylic, Nylon & polyester

Good  day. 

I buy loads on eBay. It’s my first port of call for almost everything.

Recently I bought a cashmere sweater from a commercial seller. However It was made of Wool, Acrylic, Nylon & polyester. I reported this to eBay and requested a refund but my refund request was denied.  I understand that most of these decisions are taken by AI and I am fine with that. I understand it’s a cost issue. But, in this instance, AI has made a mistake and there is no one I can call.

What’s more, there are still “Ralph Lauren Pullovers Ralph Lauren Polo Men's Cable Knit Cashmere Crew Neck Long Sleeve Jumper Sweater” being sold which are not cashmere. So, this is not a mistake on behalf of the seller. It is a con.

This is a waste of my time and all the people that will now be involved because this individual is a thief. It’s not a question of the money lost. It’s more that it’s such a waste of our collective time which you could use on something else more beneficial to us all.

So, please can anyone advise me how I can go about taking eBay to court. I will likely loose as they will have some clause but I will create some publicity. Odd how sometimes for no apparent reason simple acts seem to get attention.

As I have said I am a fan of eBay. I buy loads on eBay. It’s my first port of call. But if I felt that in these type of situations I could not get a refund then I would not use them and that would be sad.

Looking forward to getting a plan from someone.

Thank you

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Refund denied Pullover described as 100% Cashmere was Wool, Acrylic, Nylon & polyester

Good day again

I should also mention that I did ask  seller to confirm that the items were made of cashmere

New message from: zhengy-5843 (18 )
Dear Buyer
We can guarantee
Our items are made of cashmere

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Refund denied Pullover described as 100% Cashmere was Wool, Acrylic, Nylon & polyester

@jacky2556,

When you receive an item that is not as described, you need to open a case and choose the reason "Not as described". In this case, the seller cannot refuse the case. You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee:

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/index.html

What kind of case did you open, and how?

With that said, I can't find any record of that seller selling anything with that title, or fitting your description. What was the item number, or link to the listing that you purchased?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Did you follow these steps:

Go to your purchase history and click return item and select, the item doesn't match the description as the reason.
The seller will have 3 days to accept the return and pay return shipping or refund without returning.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

If you had done this, you would have got a refund.

Have a great day.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I bet you reported you didn't  receive what you paid for and the claim was denied because there was tracking showing the seller sent your item. If that's what happened you opened the wrong case.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I think that you opened the wrong case.  Go ahead and open an item NOT described case. Follow the prompts exactly.  In 3 days, if the seller hasn't issued a shipping label to return the item or issued a refund (if they don't want the item to be returned), escalate the case.  Trust me, it will NOT be denied if you follow the prompts exactly and 30 days have not passed.

If you are passed the 30 days, did you use paypal?  If yes, open the case there but you will have to pay for the return shipping.  Use the shipping method and make sure that you get tracking and upload it to the case.  On paypal, you have 180 days.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Also, reporting to ebay that something is made of a different material is useless. It's basically he said/she said.  Ebay can't analyze that sweater. Pictures are useless because anyone can sew a tag on an item.  Ebay is full of items that are NOT what they are supposed to be in the title.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hi @jacky2556 

Anyone in your situation who follows the instructions for filing an ‘Item not as described’ dispute … wins the dispute 100% of the time.

I agree that you must have filed the wrong dispute.  Fortunately, you are still able to file the correct one.  🙂

Go to your Purchase History and open a ‘Return Request’ … choosing ‘Item doesn’t match description or photos’ as the reason for the return.

If the seller doesn’t provide either a prepaid shipping label OR a full refund within 3 business days … then go back to the case and ask eBay to step in.  eBay will do the rest.

Good luck!  Come back if you have any questions.  There’s additional options.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Good day to loads of helpful people here

I’m sorry not to get back to the community but I’ve had one hell of an attack of the flu. I’ve been in bed for a week. All past now.

I'm pretty sure my original request was not as described but can’t be sure.  The situation was odd in the that seller had removed the product during the process making it difficult to identify. He then cited this as an employee error.

I have a case still open and should receive a decision today. This is a terrible waste of time for me and all those involved which includes those who are offering me their valuable advice.  We could all be better employed doing other useful stuff.  Don’t miss understand me, I do really and sincerely appreciate the assistance though.

All the actions of the seller seem to add up to the actions a seller would take were he actually intending to supply goods of inferior value to the items advertised and bet that most buyers would still keep it as it looks OK.

So here is the history.

1. Advert appears saying made of cashmere.
  2. Delivery delayed; I mention concern to the seller.
  3. The seller confirms Product on the way. Don’t worry.
  4. I am concerned that the product will not be as described and ask him to confirm it’s cashmere.
  5. His reply says it is cashmere.
  6. Produce arrives and I ask for a refund say it’s not as described. I attach a photo of the manufactured material. No cashmere at all.
  7. Next, I see case resolved and referees to delayed delivery. I may have miss entered the tick but still my associated text was clear. N
  8. I open a new refund not really sure what will happen but it appears to be OK.  I do not have confidence as I am dealing with AI not a human.  How can I be sure that I have made my complaint correctly.
  9. I also continue my communication with the seller.
  10. The seller confirms that my purchase has some wool and offers me a discount. Saying I can accept his and will not have to return the product.
  11. I do not accept.
  12. He increases it to £10 and says that if I do insist in returning it then I need to return it to Switzerland and gives address.
  13. I sway I do not want the product and will return it but he must pay.
  14. The seller says he will and asks for my PayPal details.  My concern is that 1. Why Switzerland. When I bought the item the sale details product location was London. The seller’s business address was London. Ter return postal address on the delivered item was Sussex close to London.  I asked for a standard prepaid system which allows me to bring it to the post office for shipment and for confirmation that my f=funds will be released on guaranteed postage not recite by him.
  15. This was also the day that eBay can step in.  I triggered their assistance and have 48 hours.
  16. The 48 hours end later today. I have not heard from the seller.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

One othere small point. 

I am concerned at accusing a seller incorrectly. So I have intentionally not given the seller details or the sale item number. I do have an image of all the seller details including Business address as shown. The price was a very good price, possible too good to be true as the saying goes. Had the item been as described I'd have instantly ordered another 10.  Because of it being so good was why I took snips off all the details.  I expect I can go back and find out what I first ticked. I just have not done that yet.  

All the best 

Jacky

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Actually, that is not correct.  Sweater was advertised as being 100% cashmere.  Turns out it was wool, polyester etc.  That means it was not as described.  In that case, the buyer needs to open an item not as described case.

Just like if the sweater had been advertised as black and it turned out to be red.  Not as described. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi 

This is to say that I have received a refund notivce from eBay.  Perhaps the incorrect address was a techy error!!!

Mary here from eBay’s Resolutions Team. Thank you for contacting us regarding the "Ralph Lauren Polo Men's Cable " with item number 403959448274 which you have need to return due to being not as described.Please allow me to resolve this for you.

I understand that the item needs to be returned for your refund however you are given a Switzerland address.I know you under the impression that the parcel cam from United Kingdom.This is not the type of buying experience we want our buyer to have.eBay will make things right for.

I have a good news  for you. I have closed this case in your favour and issued with the full refund. The amount of  £40.00 should reach your card in 3 to 5 business days. I am glad I was able to resolve this for you.

I want to highlight that we keep your money safe under eBay Money Back Guarantee. If you receive an item which is not as described we make sure you get your money back.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: