cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on a return and who is at fault

Here is my question. I listed a phone as unlocked, because it is unlocked. I personally used a different carrier in it after it was unlocked with no issue. I also spoke with Verizon who also said it was unlocked. The carrier the buyer of the phone wanted to use is saying there is a hardware compatibility issue and it cannot be used. 

In his description for a return he is saying that I didn't list it properly and therefore it is my fault and I have to pay for shipping.  I had no idea there could be a compatibility issue but that has nothing to do with it being unlocked and under the T-mobile IMEI checker (his carrier) it says the phone is not blocked just incompatible..

Just not sure? Any thoughts would be great!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

When you sell a phone on eBay and there is a problem, the seller is always at fault. You will not win a phone seller/buyer battle if you are the seller.

Just accept the return.

Unlocked and incompatible are not the same issue due to CDMA vs GSM. Either state the IMEI number (somewhat risky) or state which carriers the phone is or is not compatible with by checking it yourself (more time consuming but safer).

Yes, the buyer should have done their research on the phone, but part of the fault lies with you as well. As stated earlier, when that happens, you are SOL.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When you sell a phone on eBay and there is a problem, the seller is always at fault. You will not win a phone seller/buyer battle if you are the seller.

Just accept the return.

Unlocked and incompatible are not the same issue due to CDMA vs GSM. Either state the IMEI number (somewhat risky) or state which carriers the phone is or is not compatible with by checking it yourself (more time consuming but safer).

Yes, the buyer should have done their research on the phone, but part of the fault lies with you as well. As stated earlier, when that happens, you are SOL.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for your feedback! That all makes sense.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Truthfully, you did nothing wrong, but you're going to pay for the buyers error.  

I'm sure the buyer chose "not as described" to get you to pay return shipping, right?

You pay the return shipping and hope you get back the phone you sent and if it's the correct phone, you hope it's in the same condition.  

It's not your fault.  But it will be your responsibility.  SIGH

Ok @gkn29 what did this seller do wrong?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Nothing technically. But if a seller doesn't fully disclose the cell phone type, eBay will find fault. The phone type and what network it works on should be disclosed in the description.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@brittvan89 

It doesn't really matter, once the buyer files an INAD, you don't have much of a choice what to do.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I did disclose it as a Verizon phone but that it was unlocked.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes, he did and said I was being unreasonable to say that the phone is unlocked when he can't use his carrier on it.. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: