cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Item return from Weekly Chat 12-22

tyler@ebay   Hi Tyler, I decided to create a specific thread on my current Multiple item return post on yesterday's Weekly chat and I am also copying @wastingtime101 in on this because we were discussing it on a different thread.

Okay, just to update:  I had to Accept 2 return requests on a single invoice purchase.  Two pre paid labels were processed and I advised the Buyer to only use one on the original package.  They have apparently done that but now I am faced with one item showing it has shipped and the other item has not (pics below).  I can provide item numbers and tracking number either openly here or privately if you want to follow this through to see how the system handles this.  So this is somewhat of a Case Study on eBay's current process.

-So the one item with the label will eventually show delivered back to me but the other one has the January 11 date where eBay would step in but by then I will have completed the refund process.  I don't want to just refund the one missing tracking because I want to make sure both Neg FBs are removed as part of my Seller Protection.

-I plan to Report the Buyer on both items since the system has not joined them automatically on the return

-Will I be able to mark the item with NO tracking number Received on my end as part of the return claim?

-I know there are some work arounds that might involve the Buyer but I want to avoid them being involved if at all possible because they are new to Buying and I wouldn't want them to inadvertently make a mistake that could negatively impact the return process on the item with no tracking number.  BUT, it does bring up the question, can a Buyer ADD a tracking number to their return?  If so I could ask them to add the active tracking number to the one that has none.

-In the unlikely event the items get here can I mark the one without a tracking number RECEIVED on my end in the claim process?

So, in basic terms I want to be able to refund the Buyer 100% for both items and have the two Neg FBs removed automatically as part of my Seller Protection.  The defects as we discussed on the Chat will be handled as well.

FASTRACK RETURNS.png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Multiple Item return from Weekly Chat 12-22

-Will I be able to mark the item with NO tracking number Received on my end as part of the return claim?

Yes, you can definitely do that through the return. You can also refund without marking it as received. It doesn't really matter either way.

-can a Buyer ADD a tracking number to their return? 

No, they cannot. Any buyer that purchases their own shipping label, or uses a prepaid label from one item number to return multiple item numbers can ask CS to add tracking to the return or they can message the seller the tracking number. In your case, none of that is necessary. You're already informed on the tracking info so there's nothing for the buyer to do. You're an honest seller that won't cheat them and the only reason to have the tracking number tied to the return when the seller isn't aware of it from the get-go is for buyer protection (so eBay can step in and force the refund if the seller flakes).

-In the unlikely event the items get here can I mark the one without a tracking number RECEIVED on my end in the claim process?

See the answer above.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Yes, you can definitely do that through the return. You can also refund without marking it as received. It doesn't really matter either way.

-can a Buyer ADD a tracking number to their return? 

No, they cannot. Any buyer that purchases their own shipping label, or uses a prepaid label from one item number to return multiple item numbers can ask CS to add tracking to the return or they can message the seller the tracking number. In your case, none of that is necessary. You're already informed on the tracking info so there's nothing for the buyer to do. You're an honest seller that won't cheat them and the only reason to have the tracking number tied to the return when the seller isn't aware of it from the get-go is for buyer protection (so eBay can step in and force the refund if the seller flakes).

See the answer above.

@wastingtime101   Thank you, I appreciate that.  And you are right, I have no intention of cheating the Buyer.  Through this process they "could" be cultivated in to an ongoing customer.  They are new to trains so will need things going forward and will KNOW to ask questions before Buying.

... these items I can easily resell, they are already from a profitable lot so whatever I get for them is pure profit so the money end of this isn't even an issue (or I may keep them for myself LOL), its more about the least path of resistance to get the unwarranted Neg FBs removed or Revised.  I know I can ask the Buyer to do that but I've learned that the more a Seller can do without involving the customer the better. 

Regards,
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

its more about the least path of resistance to get the unwarranted Neg FBs removed or Revised. 

Once the package arrives you can manually mark the one without tracking as received, then refund both. The FB will disappear within about a week (I think that's the timeline) because of free returns. The system does it automatically.

You're well informed on the key points so unless the product comes back completely wrecked from shipping, then it should be smooth sailing from here. You got this.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

its more about the least path of resistance to get the unwarranted Neg FBs removed or Revised. 

Once the package arrives you can manually mark the one without tracking as received, then refund both. The FB will disappear within about a week (I think that's the timeline) because of free returns. The system does it automatically.

You're well informed on the key points so unless the product comes back completely wrecked from shipping, then it should be smooth sailing from here. You got this.

Yeh I thought about that too ... I had to address that once on a return.  I got an item back I could not sell, they didn't even use the corrugated box it was sent in, they just paper wrapped the NIB chip board box of the item ... had to Report them, only issued 50% of the item price and none of the shipping.

Regards,
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for the tag @mr_lincoln!

@wastingtime101  definitely got you solid info, I agree with their statements of what to expect. 

Please remember to report the buyer and issue a refund through the returns to make sure that the protections offered apply. 🙂  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Thanks for the tag @mr_lincoln!

@wastingtime101  definitely got you solid info, I agree with their statements of what to expect. 

Please remember to report the buyer and issue a refund through the returns to make sure that the protections offered apply. 🙂  

Got it tyler@ebay, thank you  ... I appreciate your and @wastingtime101 's input and confirmations on this ...

Now, I DO like the ability of Buyers to select one or more items on a multiple item purchase, that I think is an improvement but since I've never done that I don't know what a Buyer sees through their return pages ... it would be a nice feature if eBay would present them the multiple items and then they check the one(s) they want to return.  Then eBay groups those and requires ONE label for the Seller and then adds the tracking to all the items that were selected for the return.

Perhaps you could share that idea with the folks who handle the return process?

Regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

tyler@ebay, @wastingtime101 

I received the items back today ... tried to mark the one without tracking as Received, can not see where that is done on the Return flow.  The main claim page still shows it has not shipped and in the right gutter on the Return details that says the same thing with no choice to mark it as shipped.  If that choice exists 1) where is it and 2) its too hard to find (obviously).

RETURN PICS .jpg

Regards,
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

tyler@ebay, @wastingtime101 

UPDATE:

1. Item that was returned with tracking.  I Refunded AND used the Report a problem link to report the Buyer.

2. Item that was returned WITHOUT tracking. 

-I refunded and in the Comments added the Return ID from the one with Tracking AND copied and pasted the same comments used on the one with tracking

-I went to the Sold file, used the pull down menu and the Report Buyer link, added the Return ID from the one with Tracking AND copied and pasted the same comments used on the one with tracking

So now I wait ... no further actions for me at this point ... this is not a very clear cut easy process ...

Regards,
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Try this page @mr_lincoln 

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Try this page @mr_lincoln 

Too late @wastingtime101 , just posted what I did based on what the system provided me with choices ...

Regards,
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Yeah, I saw we posted at the exact same time. As I said above, I don't think it matters. The buyer opened a return and you refunded them through the return - I think that's what counts.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Yeah, I saw we posted at the exact same time. As I said above, I don't think it matters. The buyer opened a return and you refunded them through the return - I think that's what counts.

@wastingtime101   The one with tracking showed the Return closed, the other one simply disappeared from the Seller Hub "Returns" list once I refunded ... I'm sure you are right that it doesn't matter ... I've done enough on my end to connect the two items so it will be interesting to see the time it takes the eBay system to do its thing.   As a Mentor I want to be able to walk someone else through this (or the folks I support locally who I got started Selling on eBay).  The process is obviously lacking in simplicity once a transaction goes beyond one item.

Regards,
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@mr_lincoln tyler@ebay 

So I checked out a couple of my currently open returns and took a screenshot for you. The "mark as received" button shows up when the system registers that an item has been shipped. The button does not show up when there aren't any tracking scans. Kind of weird because, as in your case, sellers would be most likely to mark as received when there isn't tracking in the system.

returnreceived.png

GLORIOUS!

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@mr_lincoln tyler@ebay 

So I checked out a couple of my currently open returns and took a screenshot for you. The "mark as received" button shows up when the system registers that an item has been shipped. The button does not show up when there aren't any tracking scans. Kind of weird because, as in your case, sellers would be most likely to mark as received when there isn't tracking in the system.

returnreceived.png

I saw the Mark as received on a different return and you are right, ONCE an item has been shipped and has a tracking number you can mark it as received.  On my 2 item return, the one item had the tracking, the other one didn't so there was NO "Mark as received" option on it.  This is some pretty basic stuff Tyler or any of the eBay Team should be able to point out the minute the question is asked.

I am really P-Oed right now.  I have one bogus return started earlier this week and another one started in the last half hour.  ALL on train items.  this evening's return, Buyer selected INAD then in the comments said they are not sure it is the same one ?????  Seriously?  It seems like I have had more returns on Train stuff since the beginning of November then ALL Category returns one year prior to that.

My return rate was less then 1% going in to this fall and now its at 1.98% (8 of 405 transactions).  I also just got a bogus partial refund request ... had to cave for the equivalent of the Return shipping (less the $ 10) but for an item on a train that worked here but Buyer claims doesn't work there BUT they wanted to keep it ... so I basically told them that since I offer Free Returns I can refund their shipping cost (otherwise just send it back) so they said that was fine ... .

Now, I am NOT infallible but my gut on some of these is screaming that something is rotten in Denmark if you know what I mean ...

We're coming up a week since I refunded the 2 items on the multi-item transaction (what this thread is about) ... the 2 Neg FBs are still there so I am anxiously waiting to see if BOTH of them get removed automatically ...

Sorry to rant but I am not a happy camper right now ...

Regards,
Message 15 of 27
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: