cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item not as described false claim. Do I report the buyer first or refund first? Does it matter? 😑

Had a buyer submit an item not as described return without contacting me first, just straight to the NAD return.  I don't think they are malicious but just rude.  They had a compatibility issue with the item and claimed that me, as the seller should have listed all compatibility issues known and unknown with the item in my description.  When I got the item back I tested it against my own equipment and sure enough it works fine.  I sent the buyer a polite message saying that the compatibility issue is with their specific equipment and as a private seller I should not be responsible for doing what amounts to buyer research.  Am I wrong for saying that?  As a private seller I don't have the means to test my items against every possible use case concerning another piece of equipment.  For example if a PS5 doesn't work with xyz model TV I should not have to put that into my item description right??

Anyway I haven't heard back from the buyer yet and its been 36hours.  I'm going to issue the refund regardless.  I was waiting for a response in order to gauge wether I should report the buyer or not.  Should I do the return first or report the buyer first?  Does it matter?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Item not as described false claim. Do I report the buyer first or refund first? Does it matter

It's not "rude" that a buyer opens a return first, that's the way the eBay system works. When you hit "contact seller" eBay gives you several options including:  "I didn't receive my item",   "I need to return my item",  "I received an item that wasn't as described", etc. Buyer chooses the most appropriate topic. If it's "I need to return my item" then eBay automatically opens the claims process. 

Just approve the return and move on. Don't waste valuable energy arguing with buyers over stuff like this. I avoid all of this by offering Free Returns on all my items. By offering they buyer the confidence that you offer Free Returns for any reason without any hassles or arguments, you get more sales and you spend less time bickering with buyers over returns. Since I started offering Free Returns, my returns rate has not changed in any significant way, and my peace of mind has improved.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Re: Item not as described false claim. Do I report the buyer first or refund first? Does it matter

Just refund and move on.

You're lucky you got your item back in working condition.

They could have shipped a dog turd and you would still have to refund, then you could report the buyer.

Have a great day
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Hi @shaocaholica 

I’m so very sorry this happened.  I would be extremely upset if it happened to me.  [That’s why I’m not a seller.  I lack the temperament for sales.]

That said, it really doesn’t matter when or if you report the buyer, as I don’t think eBay can/will take any action, since the item was returned in the same condition as sold.  [The absolute most you could achieve is a courtesy refund of the return shipping … and only if you protest enough to reach a sympathetic CS rep who is authorized to give one.]

BTW, it’s been many years since it was considered ‘rude’ for a buyer to take a formal action in lieu of contacting the seller.  The change occurred when a ‘return request’ replaced an ‘item significantly not as described dispute’.

[I still contact a seller first … since I realize many still feel as you do … but I know that I’m simply wasting time, because I’ll still have to open a request down the line to get a refund.]

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Reporting the buyer is a total waste of time. If you call customer service, they will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you off the phone. Nothing is going to happen. The item did NOT work on their system. You got it back, relist it at a higher price to recover your losses.  Nothing else can be done.  Just block the buyer so that they do not re-buy again from you.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Wrong.  You always report the buyer, then block them.  I offer free shipping and free returns and nothing makes me madder than when a buyer checks "not as described" instead of "just didn't like it".   So many times the buyers do not bother to read the description and I will get an opinion like "shirt runs small"  when I literally put in the description that the shirt runs small with the measurements that I take the time to record and list.  If the shirt is marked medium then I list it as medium.  I think buyers just don't want to risk having to pay return postage so they just check ISNAD.   Ebay is supposed to track these buyers and stop them from abusing the system, and the only way to do that is by reporting them.  

Message 20 of 20
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: