cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Does an Un-Escalated Case Stay Open?

I had a Buyer open a Defective Item case on Christmas Eve, we communicated a few times & after I sent a few suggestions on how to "fix" the issue, I have not heard back. Neither of us have escalated the case and it is still sitting open. It has now been 30 calendar days. Anyone know if it is 30 days from the day the case was open or 30 from the date it could be escalated or is it 30 business days? or...?

I don't want to contact the Buyer & have them suddenly decide to push the issue (they waited 27 days after receiving to open a case) and if the item was truly defective I would have issued a return immediately but they were being sketchy & I know it was fully functional when I mailed it so...

I can't seem to find any info on the site & a web search turns up multiple answers. I'm just getting antsy now as it's a significant amount & I really need the funds released 😞

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: How Long Does an Un-Escalated Case Stay Open?

Thank you. I was looking all over for actual timelines, where did you find that?

The case is still open but eBay has released the hold on the funds so I will hope that means it will close tomorrow. 

I've had a case close once before when the Buyer didn't escalate & I could have sworn it was 30 calendar days but things change all the time so *shrug*.

Thanks again!

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

They do close but my question was if anyone knew how long a case must be inactive before it will close. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I did not issue a return label. We were still in the "work it out" phase where you message within the return center. 

This buyer waited 27 days before opening a "defective" case. They also were emailing me thru regular messages (instead of within the returns center) and kept hinting to wanting money. 

The photo they provided for proof was of a coat that was purple when the one i sold was gray...everything felt really sketchy.

I've been a seller for over 15 years, if I screw up I fix it. If I feel like I am being taken advantage of I will  fight to prove my case.  This was a high dollar sale and not a loss I could eat. If they had pushed I would have taken the return but they just let the case sit there without any additional response. The whole thing felt weird.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

***UPDATE***

The case is still open but eBay has released the hold on the funds associated with the case. I hope this means the case will close soon due to inactivity. 

I will post a final update when it does. Thanks to those who provided answers. 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

FYI the funds being released means nothing. Legally, ebay can only hold funds for 30 calendar days which is why they were released. 

I know this for a fact. 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Interesting.

Now I'm wondering if the 21 business days is calculated from our last email in the returns center. Which would place us on the 27th or possibly the 31st (due to the holidays). 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

So it took 40 calendar days but the case finally closed!

I received this email from eBay:

"This return is closed. View details."

That's it. Short & sweet. I still haven't figured out how many actual days it should take as all the holidays this time frame encompassed probably really messed up the normal length. 

I do not recommend waiting out your customer in normal circumstances. If you messed up, fix it. This case was weird and my interactions with the buyer was a bit off. 

Thanks to those who offered help/info.  - Good Sales to All 🙂

Message 22 of 22
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: