cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting in touch with a person when eBay steps in.

I just asked eBay to step in as the seller was unwilling to come to a set amount for refunding my purchase. They just gave me a range from 15% to 50%. I think they'll give me 50%, as after the item is opened the used market substantially drops price. Their price is extremely good for a new product. A 15% reduction in price is perfectly reasonable. When I sell I take out of the refund up to 15%, or how much is needed to match the used price. Which ever is a better deal for the customer I go with.

I would like to add more details to my case to explain to eBay the issue with the product in greater detail. It's more than I just don't like the product. It's "I don't like the product since the manufacturer neglected the product." I have to install an over ten year old web browser, and this product is still under support by Cisco. They don't even properly support the next release 5.0.1 of Firefox, which came out less than a year after the product was launched. There are also design problems with the switch that became apparent after buying it.

How would I get in touch with a person at eBay or add details to my case for eBay to review?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting in touch with a person when eBay steps in.

@sealclubberr wrote:

I just asked eBay to step in 

I would like to add more details to my case to explain to eBay the issue

How would I get in touch with a person at eBay or add details to my case for eBay to review?

No need. And you can't. When either seller or buyer asks eBay to step in @sealclubberr both sides have already said all there is to say.

eBay will either

- force a full refund no return needed, or

- issue a prepaid return label to be scanned within exactly 10 clock days (240 hours) and eBay will force a full refund a few moments after tracking shows the return delivered; the seller does not have

1. the usual 2 business days to examine the return, nor

2. the option to deduct a partial refund.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

eBay is just going to tell you to return it for a refund. eBay can't  tell you beforehand what the seller will deduct if the item is returned in worse condition.  I'm sorry you didn't  know ff you return an item because you don't  like it or you changed your mind it has to be returned in the original unused condition to get  a full refund. You're not returning it that way so the seller can't predict the refund amount until they get it back and examine it and see if you did any damage or substantially altered it

So negging them for not being able to give you what the exact  refund amount will be before they got it back and examined it is unfair. They won't know until they get it back.  

I don't  know exactly what you bought but used laptops for example are more or less around half the cost of a new one on the seller's site. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Ps. Design problems with the switch.

I've seen complaints about poorly placed switches on various devices. Poorly placed doesn't qualify as defective. Buyer diligence means you should research your device for design complaints or go check one out somewhere  before buying one. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You will likely get a full refund if you file a dispute with Ebay. If not, file with your credit card issuer for a virtual slam dunk.

You purchased a defective product on Ebay. Why would you tolerate receiving anything less than a 100% refund? 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@sealclubberr wrote:

I just asked eBay to step in 

I would like to add more details to my case to explain to eBay the issue

No need. And you can't. When either seller or buyer asks eBay to step in @sealclubberr both sides have already said all there is to say.

eBay will either

- force a full refund no return needed, or

- issue a prepaid return label to be scanned within exactly 10 clock days (240 hours) and eBay will force a full refund a few moments after tracking shows the return delivered; the seller does not have

1. the usual 2 business days to examine the return, nor

2. the option to deduct a partial refund.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Encouraging him to file a not as described dispute because the switch DESIGN was poor or not ideal is not right. Poorly placed is not the same thing as being defective. He didn't say it didn't  work when he asked to return it or else he would've chosen that as the reason for the return instead of choosing changed mind reason/didn't like it.  I am seeing he found out he may not be getting a full refund because you just don't like it and now you're showing him how to be a  ---- artist and get a full refund when you buy something you don't  like after you get it. Please don't  encourage buyers to do that when they were honest and said they changed their mind. The seller hasn't done anything wrong and shouldn't get a chargeback and the buyer gets to keep the item because that's most likely what will happen if they follow your advice. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I got terrible support as it is a defective product. As a reseller you have to deal with selling defective products. I will chargeback if I don't get a satisfactory refund, and have multiple means of disputing this payment through multiple sources, including PayPal before going the chargeback route through my bank. I did not know the manufacturer had terrible support for the product until I purchased it. They just don't want to refund me as the used price drops the price from about $300 to $20.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

How do I properly file a dispute. I used did not like it as it was poorly supported by the manufacturer. There was almost nothing on this switch. Can I change the reason for the return?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Then you run a bad business that screws customers over. I get full refunds from Amazon, and Newegg in such situations. It's the standard for customer service, and profitable long term businesses.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Exactly, almost routinely used items are sold for about 1/2 of the new price tag.  It's almost reliable enough to be some sort of reselling law 😉    I know in my second-hand store, we usually shoot for that (pricing used items at 1/2 the price of a new item).  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

"I would like to add more details to my case to explain to eBay the issue with the product in greater detail. It's more than I just don't like the product. It's "I don't like the product since the manufacturer neglected the product." I have to install an over ten year old web browser, and this product is still under support by Cisco. They don't even properly support the next release 5.0.1 of Firefox, which came out less than a year after the product was launched. There are also design problems with the switch that became apparent after buying it." 

Nowhere does it say in your original post that the part was defective.  You said over and over again that you didn't like the part.  That is not the same as being defective.  I assume you should have been able to google the stats of this Cisco switch before purchasing it to see the system requirements.  It sounds like this was a new-in-box vintage switch, which you purchased to actually use.  Hopefully next time you actually research an item before purchasing it, and at least call the Cisco tech line to find out information before purchasing another one.  Also, consider seeking out the help of someone who has more experience than you do with computers and switches so that they can tell you.... "Hey - fyi, that's a really old switch, and it may have some compatibility issues with modern software".   Speaking of, if you would have just googled the Switch model number and "release date" you could have when the switch was manufactured, which would give you a great idea of what sort of software it supports.  I get a bad feeling here, that you are having buyer's remorse.  That is no reason to return an item that you have now damaged.  Opening an item reduces its value by at least 50 percent.  Something that may be a vintage collectible, even more so, because the value is in the fact that it is unopened.  You could have done your research before opening it.  

Anyone advising you to return it and lie about your reasons is threatening your account here on eBay.  

I hope the seller comes to these boards and reads all this for themselves.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Well, it's a good thing you are using a fake account for all of these comments....  

Hillarious when the shoe is on the other foot....?    Isn't it

sealclubber.JPG

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I'm not scamming them. They just would not give a firm price. The switch has good reviews.  I just wanted a firm refund price. I'm fine with a reduction of my refund over the item being opened. It's just not supported by Cisco as I would expect from a product still on their support list.

I offered to go through any tests necessary to get to a firm refund price. (pictures, running commands on the switch, etc) My friend that runs an eBay store for a living suggested I get a hard price agreement for the refund prior to returning. They just gave me a range of 15% to 50% refund depending on condition. Since the price drops substantially, even with there being no damage to the product I would expect them to give a 50% refund, and not 85%. Looks like I'm getting a full refund from eBay, after returning the product.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: