cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Return

I am having a serious issue with ebay 4/8/2024. I want to bring this to your attention. I have just been scammed by a fraudulent return for a Used iphone 13 Max Pro and NIP iphone 13 Max Pro Case. I was watching for the return because this was a $700 sale and I was already nervous about it. On April 5, 2024 the return from USPS said the package was refused. That had me startled, it was after 4 here and the USPS offices on the east coast were already closed for the weekend. The local post offices here in Texas didn't answer the phone when I called and never answer the phone. The next day it says the package is delivered and I look everywhere for it and it is not at my home where I buy and sell.  The return tracking says the package was delivered to Front Desk/Reception/Mail Room. Over the weekend I filed a not delivered case with the return saying I never received the package. My case was denied because USPS says it was delivered to my house via the scan. I see now that on 4/5 when my mail carrier first brought it to my home, he must have seen that it was not my address on the package and brought it back to the post office and it was delivered the next day to the address the scammer put on there. Over the weekend I filed an appeal showing other tracking numbers that came to my home show delivered at front porch or just delivered, but never did ebay purchase say delivered to Front Desk/Reception/Mail Room.

I became frantic and started looking more closely at everything and I saw I was charged $4.75 for the return label. Well an iphone 13 max pro by itself weighs 8 oz. I know USPS is not going to weigh and 8 oz. package and charge $4.75. In my first dealings with ebay I did not realize this weight issue. I am bringing it to your attention so I might be able to help someone in the initial process.  Once I realized this weight problem, I called ebay on Sunday night and told the person. He said he would add that information to the appeal. Today, 4/8 I received an email saying the appeal was denied. Funds would be taken out of my bank account to cover the return amount. I am trying to call ebay again, but they won't answer my call and have left me on hold for 5 hours. I called USPS and started an investigation and they told me the package weighed one ounce.  They said they would email me the results of the investigation in which I asked specifically for them to show the GPS delivery location and the weight of the package on the investigation. I tried a chat with ebay asking to reopen my case because now USPS had told me the weight of my package was exactly one ounce. Ebay also has that information because they can see my return label and the weight USPS charge me on their end. The chat person was ZERO help and said they would not reopen the case. Reporting the buyer has not resolved any refund issue for me. They person just says I am sorry....blah blah blah. So again, I feel like if I had mentioned the weight of the fake return in the beginning, I might have had better results with ebay. I am going to wait for the USPS investigation and continue to try to get my money back.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Fraudulent Return

In the past ebay was so helpful, today they have been rude and not even trying to help. I didn't say the right thing in the beginning so I am out of luck......

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Fraudulent Return

I'm assuming that the name and address on the package was not yours so it  is probably a fake tracking scam. You will need to get a letter from the post office stating that the package with that tracking number was not addressed to you.By itself, the weight of the package won't resolve anything but if you get a letter from USPS, show it to ebay customer service by sending a message on ebay's Facebook or instagram page.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Fraudulent Return

Thank you. I did get a letter from USPS saying the package was not addressed to me. Ebay facebook got me a refund in one day after I was back and forth with ebay customer service for a little under a month. Thank you for posting this information about facebook and instagram.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Fraudulent Return

Why does ebay have a return label that can be scammed in the first place? If the current label ebay provides for returns is causing scams, why haven't they changed it to only reflect the address and not a scan bar code? Ebay likes losing money and giving small sellers a heart attach by having customer service refuse to honor seller protections even with USPS letters saying the package was not delivered to your address? This is the twilight zone. It is so easily resolved by removing the scan that shows the package was delivered to the intended address even though the fraudulent buyer changed the address to some school or business close to you. Down with bar codes that enable fraudulent returns. imo

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Fraudulent Return

Bar codes are necessary for the tracking, they don't enable fraudulent returns.

Removing the bar code would not prevent a label from being modified, it would just prevent it from being scanned.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Fraudulent Return

Ebay could stop this scam in 5 minutes if they really wanted to. They have access to the USPS tracking website as it is THEIR account we ship on. I really do not understand why they let this one continue.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: