cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time we've had a buyer request a return I wanted to ask the community if I did the right thing

Long story short a buyer purchased a game from us that we had purchased about a month ago on Ebay. The game installed and played fine for us, but the buyer stated otherwise. I asked them to return it for a refund rather than refunding them right away as I believe it could have been an issue on their end since I had just played it and completed it a days ago. 

Did i do the right thing in asking them to return it rather than refunding right away? I just find it really odd that the game played just fine recently, and the disk had no flaws, but the buyer states that their brand-new Xbox couldn't install or play it...

I feel bad having them go out of their way to pay for return shipping and everything but since the game was more expensive than most due to being rare, I didn't feel comfortable providing a refund before seeing proof that the game really no longer worked.

Again, this is a first for me, so i just wanted to reach out to the community to see if I did the right thing, as I want to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt, but don't want to screw myself either.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

First time we've had a buyer request a return I wanted to ask the community if I did the right thing

If the game works, you WILL NOT get your shipping charges back.  Just relist it.

Try not to be upset - just move on.  eBay is a numbers game - unfortunate things happen, but those events are few and far between.  You are selling a lot of items - don’t let one potentially bad experience derail you or make you lose focus on all of the good that comes from eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@htownmma 

If the buyer has filed an INAD, you'll be paying return shipping.

I always have them return the item before refunding.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

So Ebay has taken yhe funds out of my account or how did buyer pay for return shipping? It shows return label created and cost of 0, so I guess this comes out of balance on my selling account or how do I check this?

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

In reference to your remark about "providing a refund before seeing proof that the game really no longer worked", did you know, if the buyer opens an NAD case, the seller will be refunding upon receipt of the returned item, regardless of whether or not the claim is valid? 

The seller is within his rights to await the return of the item before refunding, but you appear to believe that the return shipping fee will be paid by the buyer when it will not.  The seller sends a return label, the seller being you in this case.

Maybe a little more remedial reading of how this works on eBay might be in order.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

You did the right thing - absolutely, have the buyer return for a refund.  The game might work or it might not - small investment that might allow for you to resell it.  

as others have stated, you are likely going to have to pay for the return shipping.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

But i was never notified by the buyer or Ebay to pay for a label, it just shows that the buyer had a label made, but nothing was taken from my account? I'm a bit confused as to how the label was paid for if the buyer didn't pay and the money wasn't taken from my account, then where did it come from? Did Ebay pay it and then will deduct the money later?

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

do you know if the label that the buyer had printed on ebay that shows 0 for costs will be deducted from my account.. as i don't see where the money came out in fees and I'm wondering when i will see what the label costs and when it will be taken from my account as this is a first for me

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I am somewhat ignorant on returns, but I believe that you are only charged if and when the buyer actually uses that label. eBay and the post office know that many return request will never hit the mail, so they should not be charged.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

This buyer actually did take the package to his local post office, i believe for some reason the game did not work for him even though i had just played for it flawlessly and i had no problem playing it on my console days beforehand. 

The buyer won't respond to messages so i know they are upset, if Ebay does charge me for the return shipping, can i get the money back if i can prove that the game does work, also what if the buyer leaves a negative review that says the game didn't work yada yada yada but i can prove it does, would that be grounds to have the feedback removed? Or Ebay would not care about defending me and there would be nothing i could do about the feedback or return shipping funds? Any help would be greatly appreciated since it is a first for me and for all i know it could have been damaged in shipment somehow, i have no idea, but i'm must worried based on the fact that they won't respond to any messages..

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

If the game works, you WILL NOT get your shipping charges back.  Just relist it.

Try not to be upset - just move on.  eBay is a numbers game - unfortunate things happen, but those events are few and far between.  You are selling a lot of items - don’t let one potentially bad experience derail you or make you lose focus on all of the good that comes from eBay.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I am trying to move on, the buyer sent the game back with the game looking like it had been ice skated on and the case being damaged as well, nothing like the way we had sold it and shipped it. So I lost the 35 plus for the game and can't resell it, but yeah.. I'll be okay, one bad buyer can't hold me down

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

One last question, if a game comes back completely different than how it was sold, the seller still has no grounds on Ebay? If that's the case I'll probably just trade in games or trade with friends, rather than use Ebay, at least for video games...

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I gave the buyer the full refund, as I didn't want it to linger, even though he damaged the game disc and case beyond belief...

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Was it actually the one you sent, or did they use you for an exchange of their unusable game?

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I dont know... it's not in the same condition, the insert is there but game disc and case are not nearly in the condition they were before.. Either way game doesn't work because buyer messed up the game...

Message 15 of 26
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: