cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, June 21st @ 1pm PT - Promoted Listings

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Join us here tomorrow for a Community Q&A hour on the topic of Promoted Listings. You may have heard the news that Promoted Listings is now available for single quantity items,  please feel free to join in and ask us your questions on Promoted Listings.

The chat will take place from 1-2pm Pacific. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@bigmotormania wrote:

I don't understand the point in having promoted listings, something which may or may not influence a buyer to want to make multiple purchases from a seller, if you are forcing immediate payment as a requirement for everything and essentially forcing a buyer to purchase everything one at a time.

Please, elaborate.

Hi @bigmotormania

Buyers can still add items to their cart and checkout in one transaction. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 16 of 69
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

Currently the categories available for single listings are very limited. Do you have a timeframe for the rollout of additional categories?

On June 6 we opened to 7 categories and we are hoping to be fully ramped by the holiday season. 

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/faq/stores.html#m22_tb_a6__2

Thank you!

Message 17 of 69
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Alan + Team.

The phrase "Sponsored Listing" is a turn off to many buyers who won't even click on the listing as a result.

Has it been considered to change this wording to "Featured Listing" or "Promoted Listing" to see what kind of difference it could make?

Thank you for your feedback. Previously we were using the "Promoted" label for the listings however due to FCC requirements we had to change it to "Sponsored".

Message 18 of 69
latest reply

@shefsing wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

If one of the reasons for using promoted listings is to get people into your shop or listings, and ultimately purchase multiple items, what good is it if IPR is now required on everything?

If someone clicks to purchase a promoted listing, but also wants to buy something else because the seller says they will combine shipping for a discount, why would a buyer continue to pay for the listing that brought them there KNOWING that now they won't be getting any combined shipping?

Promoted listings is an advertising service that gives sellers the opportunity to surface their items on high visibility placements across eBay site. Buyers can simply add multiple items to their cart and then pay for the items to take advantage of your shipping discounts. 

Thanks!

ONLY if the cart works, ONLY if they have(or can find) the 'request total', and ONLY if they want  to use the cart. I hate the cart, simply because it's not always functional.

Better to allow the buyers the same options they have been used to.

I would be one to back out if I wanted to buy other things from a seller but had to pay for them one at a time. Forget the cart.

When you create a PL and it shows you the average fee percentage other sellers are paying for a listing in that category, how do you suggest determining the best rate to choose for a listing?

Obviously the higher the fee you are willing & able to offer, the better the placement you'll get, but if you go with the average fee or slightly below average how much does it affect your placement and the frequency your listing is featured? How much does this vary by category?

Message 20 of 69
latest reply

Alan,
If I may, I'd like to thank my fellow ebay members & staff for their support again. We lost my mother in law last Wednesday just weeks after my father in law passed. It's been a hard 2 months but as usual, my ebay friends have been there for me.
Thank you all! Love to everyone! ❤️❤️❤️
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 21 of 69
latest reply

@gw_products wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Alan + Team.

The phrase "Sponsored Listing" is a turn off to many buyers who won't even click on the listing as a result.

Has it been considered to change this wording to "Featured Listing" or "Promoted Listing" to see what kind of difference it could make?

Thank you for your feedback. Previously we were using the "Promoted" label for the listings however due to FCC requirements we had to change it to "Sponsored".

What's wrong with 'Featured'?

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@gw_products wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Alan + Team.

What's wrong with 'Featured'?

Don't we already have a "featured item" in our store? Gonna check but I think we do.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 23 of 69
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@bigmotormania wrote:

I don't understand the point in having promoted listings, something which may or may not influence a buyer to want to make multiple purchases from a seller, if you are forcing immediate payment as a requirement for everything and essentially forcing a buyer to purchase everything one at a time.

Please, elaborate.

Hi @bigmotormania

Buyers can still add items to their cart and checkout in one transaction. 

Thanks. 

I see. However I do still have the concerns to state about how that doesn't always work and why, but I will save that for a regular weekly chat for the sake of not taking this one off topic.

Bigmotormania
Message 24 of 69
latest reply

@ldavis789 wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Currently the categories available for single listings are very limited. Do you have a timeframe for the rollout of additional categories?

On June 6 we opened to 7 categories and we are hoping to be fully ramped by the holiday season. 

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/faq/stores.html#m22_tb_a6__2

Thank you!

Thank you. Will it be announced when new categories are added? Or will sellers have to figure it out when they see additional categories become available?

Please say it will be announced. 🙂

Message 25 of 69
latest reply

@gw_products wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Alan + Team.

Understood. Thanks for the explanation.

Message 26 of 69
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

If an item is featured using Promoted Listings and it is generating a lot of impressions but not many click throughs and no sales, this will ultimately hurt the listing's placement in organic search results, correct?

If this is occuring, then likely the listing needs to be revised (pricing, photos, something) because there's a reason people are not interested, but I would still appreciate a confirmed answer to the above question. Thanks!

We only share sales data with the organic search. We do not passback impressions, clicks data to organic search. If you sell an item using promoted listings it will only have positive impact to your organic search results. Hence any impact from using promoted listings is either neutral or positive 🙂

Message 27 of 69
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

I don't really understand exactly what "promoted listings" are. 
Where can I get a tutorial?

Hi -

Great question. 

Promoted Listings an an easy, risk free way for you to get more visibility for your listings on ebay.    The best part is that you only pay when your ad is clicked and the item is purchased.  The set-up is easy  and you will also get access to detailed reporting to manage the success of your campaigns. 

You can see the full benefits of promoted listings and get started here:  https://ebay.com/promotedlistings

Thanks,
Tu

Message 28 of 69
latest reply

@gw_products wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Alan + Team.

Sponsored implies it was sponsored. Considering the seller is the one paying for it, that means it's not a sponsored listing.

Sponsored means it's paid for by an outside source.

That makes it very... VERY confusing. 

Bigmotormania
Message 29 of 69
latest reply

Where are PL shown?  Not meaning to try to get the nitty gritty info, but just an idea.......  If I promote a comic book.....is it shown in a search for clothing? or is it just in "perhaps" a higher placement within the comic book category?

Message 30 of 69
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: