cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, June 21st @ 1pm PT - Promoted Listings

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Join us here tomorrow for a Community Q&A hour on the topic of Promoted Listings. You may have heard the news that Promoted Listings is now available for single quantity items,  please feel free to join in and ask us your questions on Promoted Listings.

The chat will take place from 1-2pm Pacific. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@copper.boom wrote:

@shefsing wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

When you create a PL and it shows you the average fee percentage other sellers are paying for a listing in that category, how do you suggest determining the best rate to choose for a listing?

Obviously the higher the fee you are willing & able to offer, the better the placement you'll get, but if you go with the average fee or slightly below average how much does it affect your placement and the frequency your listing is featured? How much does this vary by category?

You can chose the ad rate you are comfortable with or your margins allow. Our recommendation would be to bid at or slightly higher than the average to stay competitive. Chosing competitive ad rate can improve the chances if your ad being displayed more often. 

However, there are other factors that determine where and how often your ads show. These include relevancy to buyer search, past history etc.

thanks!

Can you please elaborate on "past history"? Does that mean the listing's history with PL or history with organic search placement or history with sales or something else?

Thanks!

When available we use the organic search history as one of the factors in helping us understand the item quality.

Thanks!

Message 46 of 69
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

@bigmotormania wrote:

@gw_products wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Alan + Team.

The phrase "Sponsored Listing" is a turn off to many buyers who won't even click on the listing as a result.

Has it been considered to change this wording to "Featured Listing" or "Promoted Listing" to see what kind of difference it could make?

Thank you for your feedback. Previously we were using the "Promoted" label for the listings however due to FCC requirements we had to change it to "Sponsored".

Sponsored implies it was sponsored. Considering the seller is the one paying for it, that means it's not a sponsored listing.

Sponsored means it's paid for by an outside source.

That makes it very... VERY confusing. 

As copper.boom said: "sponsored" is a turn-off for most people, because those are the annoying, un-useful search results you get with generic search engines.
And bigmotormania is also correct: "Sponsored means it's paid for by an outside source." so calling such ads "sponsored" is incorrect as well as probably unhelpful.
Again, what's wrong with "featured"?

As was metnioned above, due to FCC requirements we had to choose "Sponsored" for Promoted Listings.

Message 47 of 69
latest reply

alan@ebay

Hi.  Can you make sure that another Weekly Chat is set up once the Promoted Listings are rolled out 100% for single quantity items? 

Some of us are getting old, and won't remember anything being said here today by the time that happens, which sounds like it won't be happening for another six months.  😞 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 48 of 69
latest reply

Because the categories are so limited for 1's........any chance we could "bank" the free $30 per month until the cats are expanded?? 

sorry that should be "per quarter"

Message 49 of 69
latest reply

@shefsing wrote:

Promoted listings is an advertising service that gives sellers the opportunity to surface their items on high visibility placements across eBay site. Buyers can simply add multiple items to their cart and then pay for the items to take advantage of your shipping discounts. 

Thanks!

Doesn't the cart only work for combined shipping discounts if a seller has rules set up?  My items are too varied to ever be able to set up shipping rules to combine them.   I have to figure that out manually.

Message 50 of 69
latest reply

@aalisha_chand wrote:

As was metnioned above, due to FCC requirements we had to choose "Sponsored" for Promoted Listings.

And as I mentioned sponsored is not only the incorrect term but it is also extremely confusing and doesn't even adequately identify the type of listing that it is.

If the SELLER is paying for the promoted listing then it is NOT sponsored.

I'm not arguing FCC requirements, but that doesn't mean that eBay can't at the very least look for an adequate, appropriate, and PROPER term to use that does not violate FCC regulation.

Bigmotormania
Message 51 of 69
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Alan + Team.

The phrase "Sponsored Listing" is a turn off to many buyers who won't even click on the listing as a result.

Has it been considered to change this wording to "Featured Listing" or "Promoted Listing" to see what kind of difference it could make?

I like Copper's suggestion.  Personally, I do find it a turn off to see "Sponsored Listing".    I tend not to click on those listings.

And once when I was browsing sunglasses, one seller's listings were appearing in duplicate, with the regular listing appearing with the same priority in search results as their sponsored listings.  It made me stop and think about which listing I should click.  I decided to click on the regular listing.

Message 52 of 69
latest reply

@klassic*kids wrote:

If I relist a multi-item listing can I turn it into a promoted listing even if it wasn't when initially listed?  Also, I've heard people talk about a $30 promo/coupon to use on promoted listings -- is this something that was emailed?  I don't recall getting an email as such.

Yes, you can promote your fixed-price multi-quantity items anytime. Simply go to ebay.com/getpromotedlistings. You will see your eligible listings displayed in the promoted listings campaign set-up flow. 

We have been offering $25 credit/quarter to Anchor Store sellers since last year. Starting April 1st 2017, we have started offering $30 credit/quarter to eBay Top-Rated sellers. Simply start promoting your listings and we will automatically credit the amount back to you. Here are more details: http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/faq/stores.html#m22_tb_a6__6 

Message 53 of 69
latest reply

@ldavis789 wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Currently the categories available for single listings are very limited. Do you have a timeframe for the rollout of additional categories?

On June 6 we opened to 7 categories and we are hoping to be fully ramped by the holiday season. 

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/faq/stores.html#m22_tb_a6__2

Thank you!

And in true ebay style you roll this out talking up how great it is to have a quarterly credit since we are taking away 10% TRS plus discount but giving you $30.00
You also told us 2/17 you hoped to have single ready before the new seller roll out !!!! Didn't happen now you roll it out to categories some of us cannot use & we can't roll the credit over?

Holiday season Really so I lose $60.00 credit because ebay rolled this out before it was ready for every single seller

I am beyond discouraged with ebay & all the false answers I get

https://community.ebay.com/t5/2017-Spring-Seller-Update/Promoted-listings-allowance/td-p/26678233/hi...
Post #37

single promo listing.JPG

Edit

@ldavis789

Don't believe I have ever seen you posting before
so Hello I see you also sell , that's always nice.
Makes you understand more of what sellers go through
@

Message 54 of 69
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

alan@ebay

Hi.  Can you make sure that another Weekly Chat is set up once the Promoted Listings are rolled out 100% for single quantity items? 

Some of us are getting old, and won't remember anything being said here today by the time that happens, which sounds like it won't be happening for another six months.  😞 

Hi @llllady

Sure thing! We will keep doing these as new features become available. 

Shefali who is answering questions on this thread was broadcasting on our eBay for Business page earlier, you can check out that video via this link: https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/videos/1391929754217950/

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 55 of 69
latest reply

It's starting to feel like we have to pay bribes to have our items shown now.  The ones paying the biggest bribes get the best placement. 

Message 56 of 69
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Where are PL shown?  Not meaning to try to get the nitty gritty info, but just an idea.......  If I promote a comic book.....is it shown in a search for clothing? or is it just in "perhaps" a higher placement within the comic book category?

Hi -

Great question. 

Ads appear in prominent locations across the site, such as the 4th & 5th spot on the first page of search results as well as view item page.  Placement is influenced on the relevance of your item listing against the keywords being searched. 

Hope that helps.

Promoted Listings Team 

Presuming that no one comes in to over bid.........does the placement continue indefinitely or does it degrade after x impressions?  i.e. is it better to let it run, if the item doesn't sell, or do a restart on the PL.?

Your item will likely not always have the same placement. It does not hurt to let the Promoted Listings run as long as you are following listing guidance to keep your listings optimized with relevant titles, competitive prices, and free shipping when possible.

If your impressions begin to decline, look to optimize your ad rate and listings to remain competitive.

Thank you!

Message 57 of 69
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@llllady wrote:

alan@ebay

Hi @llllady

Sure thing! We will keep doing these as new features become available. 

Shefali who is answering questions on this thread was broadcasting on our eBay for Business page earlier, you can check out that video via this link: https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/videos/1391929754217950/

Thank you. 

Thanks.  But, sorry. Don't do FB.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 58 of 69
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

Because the categories are so limited for 1's........any chance we could "bank" the free $30 per month until the cats are expanded?? 

Hi -
We cannot carry forward the $30 credit.

Thanks,

Promoted Listings Team

Message 59 of 69
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@dhbookds

Hope springs eternal, eh? 

Message 60 of 69
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: