cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Chat - September 13th at 1:00 pm PST

We are excited to announce this month's chat will be a hybrid chat! We will have product teams to cover AI-generated item descriptions and simplified listing flow for sneakers that is now available in the eBay app and integrated in the quick listing tool. We will also have members from the Events team come on to answer eBay Open questions! Get all of your questions ready for the teams, so we can make the most out of this month's chat on September 13th at 1:00 pm PT!

Edit: Thanks for joining us for the Monthly Chat with the Listing Product team and eBay Events team .

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Listing Product team, eBay Events team, and the Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

As a reminder, we want Listing Product team and eBay Events team to be able to get to as many members as possible during the allotted hour, so we have a few things to ask of you:

• Keep on topic
  • Scroll through the list of questions to see what has already been asked to decrease chances of redundancy 
  • Keep the message/question simple and no more than one to two items. If you include multiple questions in a post, please be aware that they may not be addressed during the chat and Shipping Team will do their best to follow-up with it after the chat has closed 

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling 888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next month!

Devon,
eBay
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Monthly Chat - September 13th at 1:00 pm PST

kayomi@ebay
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi eBay Community, this is your eBay Open Events team!

We are here today to answer any questions related to eBay events, specifically eBay Open 2023 which two weeks from now - September 26-29.

Register here and take a peek at the schedule!

Please ask us any questions about different sessions you are interested in, about how the networking rooms will work, information about the booths available at eBay Open, or the eBay Open kickoff parties!

We’d love to hear about how you are planning to watch eBay Open! Will you be tuning in from home, your business or with other sellers? We have several kickoff parties being hosted by sellers around the country if you are interested in joining in on the eBay Open festivities from your local cities on Tuesday, September 26th.

https://sellerevents.ebay.com/ebay-open-2023-kickoff-parties/

Please send us any questions you have about eBay Open 2023!

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

"The listing product team is here to answer your questions about our new AI-generated item descriptions and simplified listing flow for sneakers that is now available in the eBay app. We’d love to hear your questions and feedback.

You can learn more about our simplified in-app sneakers flow in our recent seller news announcement."

I will post all of their replies today from my handle as there are some technical difficulties! 

Devon,
eBay
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

AI stuff is all new to me and I'm trying to learn how to spot it and what it means.

How do we spot when it is an AI writing something, whether it is a post on the Forums or a description in a listing?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

kayomi@ebay wrote:

We are here today to answer any questions related to eBay events, specifically eBay Open 2023 which two weeks from now - September 26-29.

Please ask us any questions about different sessions you are interested in, about how the networking rooms will work, information about the booths available at eBay Open, or the eBay Open kickoff parties!

We’d love to hear about how you are planning to watch eBay Open! Will you be tuning in from home, your business or with other sellers? We have several kickoff parties being hosted by sellers around the country if you are interested in joining in on the eBay Open festivities from your local cities on Tuesday, September 26th.

Hi kayomi@ebay looking forward to eBay Open! I was particularly happy to see Rebecca and Adam on the recent eBay for Business podcast saying that there will be live on camera Q&A segments based on previous feedback about how the pre-recorded sessions can be frustratingly one-way.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-for-Business/Ep-258-A-Conversation-with-Rebecca-Michals-and-Adam-...

Rebecca: And I'll add to the survey results that you mentioned, Adam, with the acknowledgement, some of our sellers mentioned that they missed the live connection with presenters in the previous in-person events. So we wanna continue to evolve the way that we approach helping sellers connect with eBay experts and having those personal connections. This year after each category training and seller led presentation, we'll have the presenters come on camera to answer some of the audience questions live.

Adam: So I'm really excited about this element actually. Like it can be so a little bit frustrating when you, you feel it's just a one-way channel when you're watching some of these sessions. So being able to have that Q and A at the end I think will be really, really cool. 

My questions is, will this only apply to the category training and seller-led sessions as Rebecca indicates or will CEO Jamie Iannone, SVP Global Jordan Sweetnam and other execs presenting keynotes also be taking part in live Q&As?

If not....why not?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I currently have my own products listed on Amazon's FBA . Can you please clarify if eBay allows sellers to fulfill orders using Amazon's FBA service for eBay buyers? 

-----
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Shoe Listings:

I have noticed descriptions that look like this:

Elevate your athletic performance with these Hoka One One Clifton sneakers in size 8. The stylish blue color and low top design make them perfect for women who are always on the go. Ideal for various activities, these sneakers are a must-have for any fitness enthusiast.

Featuring a brand name synonymous with quality, these Hoka One One Clifton sneakers offer comfort and durability. Whether you're running errands or hitting the gym, these sneakers will keep you going. Don't miss out on the opportunity to add these sneakers to your collection today.

and like this:

Upgrade your athletic shoe game with these Skechers Skech-AIR Element 2.0 sneakers in navy and hot pink. The lace-up closure and low-top shoe shaft style make them perfect for any occasion, from activewear to casual and workwear. The rubber outsole material provides extra durability, and the memory foam insole material ensures maximum comfort during any performance or activity, whether it's gym and training, walking, cycling, or running and jogging.

These sneakers are handcrafted with synthetic upper material and accented with lace and eyelet details. The Skechers Skech-Air product line is known for its cushioned and comfortable features that cater to the sports theme and vintage style. Available in US shoe size 11, UK shoe size 8, and EU shoe size 41, these sneakers are the perfect addition to any footwear collection.

I assume the AI is creating those descriptions because normal people don't talk like a magazine ad. I find the descriptions filled with too much fluff, and if I didn't want to read descriptions before, I want to read these bloated ones even less.  Can these be toned back a bit?

Since I have Seller Hub, I'm not able to test the AI descriptions. Are sellers able to trim these AI descriptions? Can the seller select whether or not the AI writes a description?

-----

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@loyal_ecommerce wrote:
I currently have my own products listed on Amazon's FBA . Can you please clarify if eBay allows sellers to fulfill orders using Amazon's FBA service for eBay buyers? 

Hey @loyal_ecommerce the Community team will touch base with the appropriate team on this and get back to you.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

kayomi@ebay wrote:

Hi kayomi@ebay looking forward to eBay Open! I was particularly happy to see Rebecca and Adam on the recent eBay for Business podcast saying that there will be live on camera Q&A segments based on previous feedback about how the pre-recorded sessions can be frustratingly one-way.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-for-Business/Ep-258-A-Conversation-with-Rebecca-Michals-and-Adam-...

Rebecca: And I'll add to the survey results that you mentioned, Adam, with the acknowledgement, some of our sellers mentioned that they missed the live connection with presenters in the previous in-person events. So we wanna continue to evolve the way that we approach helping sellers connect with eBay experts and having those personal connections. This year after each category training and seller led presentation, we'll have the presenters come on camera to answer some of the audience questions live.

Adam: So I'm really excited about this element actually. Like it can be so a little bit frustrating when you, you feel it's just a one-way channel when you're watching some of these sessions. So being able to have that Q and A at the end I think will be really, really cool. 

My questions is, will this only apply to the category training and seller-led sessions as Rebecca indicates or will CEO Jamie Iannone, SVP Global Jordan Sweetnam and other execs presenting keynotes also be taking part in live Q&As?

If not....why not?

Hi @valueaddedresource ! Thank you for being a loyal listener to the eBay for Business Podcast. Yes, Adam and Rebecca announced that after each Category, Training and Seller-led session, we’ll have the presenters come on live to answer some questions in addition to having staff answering questions in the Q&A tab per usual. 

During the Keynote presentations, we will not have live Q&A. The executives will be covering high-level topics, and we are encouraging all questions to be directed to the booths in the Expo Hall. The booths will be staffed from 8am-2pm (PST) every day to answer questions. Various eBay executives will be doing live Q&A at our four eBay Studio events in Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago and Phoenix. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

To add to what @shipscript asked, Shopify has integrated the ability to select "tone of voice" into their AI description generator and I think that might really help with this problem of descriptions being overly "fluffy."

Here's what it looks like in their tool:

shopai (1).png

Does eBay have any plans to add this kind of capability to the AI description generator?

-----

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Sorry if this is off topic but this is a fairly urgent concern that I've not gotten addressed. The Seller is Away" mode seems to work fine for buyers using desktop computers. However the mobile app, phone or tablet, completely or mostly HIDES this information from buyers, thus creating headaches and disappointment for both buyers and sellers.

I travel frequently and was baffled by all the messages I was constantly getting from buyers asking when their orders would ship. It finally dawned on me that these buyers were not oblivious to the bold messages on eBay.com. They were using the eBay app to shop.

On my last trip I was "rewarded" by at least one cancellation, a neutral feedback and a positive feedback with a "took longer" comment all because eBay hasn't fixed this issue.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

AI stuff is all new to me and I'm trying to learn how to spot it and what it means.

How do we spot when it is an AI writing something, whether it is a post on the Forums or a description in a listing?

Hey @mam98031! Here is the response from the Listing Products Team:

"With the AI-powered description tool, sellers now have the ability to quickly generate item descriptions to make listing even easier. Sellers are able to add or modify the text generated by AI, as they see fit.

As of now AI is being used not only on eBay, but also by other marketplaces and different industries. You can read more about eBay’s approach to responsible AI in our recent post in the tech blog."

Devon,
eBay
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@authenticvintagejerseys wrote:

Sorry if this is off topic but this is a fairly urgent concern that I've not gotten addressed. The Seller is Away" mode seems to work fine for buyers using desktop computers. However the mobile app, phone or tablet, completely or mostly HIDES this information from buyers, thus creating headaches and disappointment for both buyers and sellers.

I travel frequently and was baffled by all the messages I was constantly getting from buyers asking when their orders would ship. It finally dawned on me that these buyers were not oblivious to the bold messages on eBay.com. They were using the eBay app to shop.

On my last trip I was "rewarded" by at least one cancellation, a neutral feedback and a positive feedback with a "took longer" comment all because eBay hasn't fixed this issue.

Hi @authenticvintagejerseys. We'd love to check into this further. Would you mind sending this information and any screenshots you have over to our askcommunity@ebay.com inbox and we'll review this?

Thanks! 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

To add to what @shipscript asked, Shopify has integrated the ability to select "tone of voice" into their AI description generator and I think that might really help with this problem of descriptions being overly "fluffy."

Here's what it looks like in their tool:

shopai (1).png

Does eBay have any plans to add this kind of capability to the AI description generator?

Hey @valueaddedresource! Here is the response from the Listing Products Team:

"Our team is actively collecting and evaluating feedback from our seller community, to plan the next set of enhancements for this feature."

Devon,
eBay
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

Shoe Listings:

I have noticed descriptions that look like this:

Elevate your athletic performance with these Hoka One One Clifton sneakers in size 8. The stylish blue color and low top design make them perfect for women who are always on the go. Ideal for various activities, these sneakers are a must-have for any fitness enthusiast.

Featuring a brand name synonymous with quality, these Hoka One One Clifton sneakers offer comfort and durability. Whether you're running errands or hitting the gym, these sneakers will keep you going. Don't miss out on the opportunity to add these sneakers to your collection today.

and like this:

Upgrade your athletic shoe game with these Skechers Skech-AIR Element 2.0 sneakers in navy and hot pink. The lace-up closure and low-top shoe shaft style make them perfect for any occasion, from activewear to casual and workwear. The rubber outsole material provides extra durability, and the memory foam insole material ensures maximum comfort during any performance or activity, whether it's gym and training, walking, cycling, or running and jogging.

These sneakers are handcrafted with synthetic upper material and accented with lace and eyelet details. The Skechers Skech-Air product line is known for its cushioned and comfortable features that cater to the sports theme and vintage style. Available in US shoe size 11, UK shoe size 8, and EU shoe size 41, these sneakers are the perfect addition to any footwear collection.

I assume the AI is creating those descriptions because normal people don't talk like a magazine ad. I find the descriptions filled with too much fluff, and if I didn't want to read descriptions before, I want to read these bloated ones even less.  Can these be toned back a bit?

Since I have Seller Hub, I'm not able to test the AI descriptions. Are sellers able to trim these AI descriptions? Can the seller select whether or not the AI writes a description?

Hey @shipscript! Here is the response from the Listing Products Team:

"Sellers using the eBay app can choose if they want to use the AI-generated tool to write the item description. Once it has been drafted, you have the ability to edit, modify or not use the description."

Devon,
eBay
Message 15 of 26
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: