cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Chat - September 13th at 1:00 pm PST

We are excited to announce this month's chat will be a hybrid chat! We will have product teams to cover AI-generated item descriptions and simplified listing flow for sneakers that is now available in the eBay app and integrated in the quick listing tool. We will also have members from the Events team come on to answer eBay Open questions! Get all of your questions ready for the teams, so we can make the most out of this month's chat on September 13th at 1:00 pm PT!

Edit: Thanks for joining us for the Monthly Chat with the Listing Product team and eBay Events team .

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Listing Product team, eBay Events team, and the Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

As a reminder, we want Listing Product team and eBay Events team to be able to get to as many members as possible during the allotted hour, so we have a few things to ask of you:

• Keep on topic
  • Scroll through the list of questions to see what has already been asked to decrease chances of redundancy 
  • Keep the message/question simple and no more than one to two items. If you include multiple questions in a post, please be aware that they may not be addressed during the chat and Shipping Team will do their best to follow-up with it after the chat has closed 

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling 888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next month!

Devon,
eBay
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

stamps the base description is derived from Scott catalog using the catalog number as the key. Production differences like grade are derived by evaluating the centering of the stamp or using the description from a certificate. Finally, condition attributes and a marketing message are added to the description. I have been doing this for years.

Titles, on the other hand, require more effort. A preliminary title is created by the software that created the listing. Some item specifics are omitted or abbreviated. I would like to see an AI process to produce better titles from listings. I would prefer that the universe be limited to my listings including catalog values, Grade, Quality, and my sales data. 

I believe that AI that draws on the entire universe of eBay sales would be no better than the original crowd-sourced item specifics that plagued eBay for about a year. Unfortunately, most stamp sellers cannot accurately identify some stamps and may miss condition problems. Stamp pricing is a function of catalog and condition. Faults can reduce the sales price of a stamp by 50 to 90 percent.

I use SixBit instead of the eBay website to list stamps, I am not sure that AI assists to the eBay listing webpages would be of value unless the capability is somehow available through the eBay API. I keep stamp listings in a database.

As stated above, creating good titles is the most important issue for me right now.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

To add to what @shipscript asked, Shopify has integrated the ability to select "tone of voice" into their AI description generator and I think that might really help with this problem of descriptions being overly "fluffy."

Here's what it looks like in their tool:

shopai (1).png

Does eBay have any plans to add this kind of capability to the AI description generator?

Hey @valueaddedresource! Here is the response from the Listing Products Team:

"Our team is actively collecting and evaluating feedback from our seller community, to plan the next set of enhancements for this feature."

Thanks devon@ebay but that sounds suspiciously like an answer ChatGPT would give. 😂

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

How will AI produce factual and accurate listings. How long would a seller last with one of the currently popular AI products before being suspended or expelled from eBay?

-----

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

To add to what @shipscript asked, Shopify has integrated the ability to select "tone of voice" into their AI description generator and I think that might really help with this problem of descriptions being overly "fluffy."

Here's what it looks like in their tool:

shopai (1).png

Does eBay have any plans to add this kind of capability to the AI description generator?

Hey @valueaddedresource! Here is the response from the Listing Products Team:

"Our team is actively collecting and evaluating feedback from our seller community, to plan the next set of enhancements for this feature."

Thanks devon@ebay but that sounds suspiciously like an answer ChatGPT would give. 😂

@valueaddedresource  I can assure you none of us working on this chat today are ChatGPT (at least to our knowledge) but we will take that as a compliment😂

Devon,
eBay
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Will there be more topics for advanced sellers at eBay open? The 2004 eBay Live in New Orleans was a productive and useful conference, well worth the cost to attend. Recent eBay Live events, not so much.

-----

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I think the AI addition to the mobile app is a good move for commodity items (but not at all for collectibles). It allows the non-keyboard users, and the English-impaired users, the ability to more readily create a description in that limited environment. If the team can allow the seller to select the tone, that would help immensely.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

stamps the base description is derived from Scott catalog using the catalog number as the key. Production differences like grade are derived by evaluating the centering of the stamp or using the description from a certificate. Finally, condition attributes and a marketing message are added to the description. I have been doing this for years.

Titles, on the other hand, require more effort. A preliminary title is created by the software that created the listing. Some item specifics are omitted or abbreviated. I would like to see an AI process to produce better titles from listings. I would prefer that the universe be limited to my listings including catalog values, Grade, Quality, and my sales data. 

I believe that AI that draws on the entire universe of eBay sales would be no better than the original crowd-sourced item specifics that plagued eBay for about a year. Unfortunately, most stamp sellers cannot accurately identify some stamps and may miss condition problems. Stamp pricing is a function of catalog and condition. Faults can reduce the sales price of a stamp by 50 to 90 percent.

I use SixBit instead of the eBay website to list stamps, I am not sure that AI assists to the eBay listing webpages would be of value unless the capability is somehow available through the eBay API. I keep stamp listings in a database.

As stated above, creating good titles is the most important issue for me right now.

Hey @clarkphilatelics! Here is the response from the Listing Products Team:

"Thank you for the feedback, which we take into consideration." 

Devon,
eBay
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for joining the chat this month! It's closed from further replies but we'll keep working through to make sure that questions are addressed.

Devon,
eBay
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Will there be more topics for advanced sellers at eBay open? The 2004 eBay Live in New Orleans was a productive and useful conference, well worth the cost to attend. Recent eBay Live events, not so much.

Hi @clarkphilatelics 

This year we have 13 assorted beginner, advanced and expert level training sessions for sellers to participate in. You can see which sessions are advanced and expert by looking at the tags on the schedule. I’d also recommend visiting the Expo Hall booths to get personalized help and advice for your business. This year we’ll have 26 booths with different eBay teams and sponsors represented. To learn more about the Expo Hall and how to make the most out of eBay Open, attend our Sneak Peek event tomorrow at 12-1pm (PT)- Register Here.

View the eBay Open 2023 schedule here to view our various sessions: https://hopin.com/events/ebay-open-2023/registration

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

How will AI produce factual and accurate listings. How long would a seller last with one of the currently popular AI products before being suspended or expelled from eBay?

Hey @clarkphilatelics! Here is the response from the Listing Products Team:

"AI can provide a first draft and sellers can make edits or modify what is generated. However, AI is not always perfect and sellers should make sure everything looks correct before listing an item."

Devon,
eBay
Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

I think the AI addition to the mobile app is a good move for commodity items (but not at all for collectibles). It allows the non-keyboard users, and the English-impaired users, the ability to more readily create a description in that limited environment. If the team can allow the seller to select the tone, that would help immensely.

Hey @shipscript! Here is the response from the Listing Products Team:

"We appreciate the feedback and will keep that in consideration."

Devon,
eBay
Message 26 of 26
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: