cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Video Broadcast & Community Chat, Mar 7th @ 12:30pm PT - Selling & Shipping Internationally

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community,

Join us here tomorrow from 12:30 pm PST for a live video broadcast on the topic of 'Selling & Shipping Internationally.' After the live broadcast, this thread will host a one-hour Community chat with our international selling experts.

Use this thread to ask questions and get tips for selling, shipping and growing your sales through cross-border trade. 

Chat with you then! 

*To be mindful of sellers’ time and contribution, please focus your comments and questions regarding the topic of the chat. Keeping in mind the Community’s Rules of Engagement when you post. Non-constructive, disrespectful/harassing comments will be removed by our moderation team so that the thread can focus on a productive discussion. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Live Video Broadcast & Community Chat, Mar 7th @ 12:30pm PT - Selling & Shipping Internationally

@rock4best wrote:

Back in February, I had a situation for the buyer remorse case return request from Germany buyer. The item didn't fit her even we provide full measurement table in our description. In our return policies, we have that buyer pay return shipping fee and we have 15% restocking fees to cover our loss in this transaction. Buyer file this case using Germany eBay and we wouldn't have any ability to refund anything less than their full payment of item cost plus international shipping fees. CSR explain that EU has this policy and there is nothing we can do about it. So when eBay will tell seller upfront about this situation so we will be able to make open eyes decision on going sell internationally: there is nothing about our return policies when other countries return policies in the effect instead.

Hi @rock4best

Thanks for sharing. 

Yes unfortunetaly you are correct. EU legal policy does not allow for restocking fees to be claimed. I can certainly look into providing more information for international sellers warning them of such instances abroad before they start selling. These boards, webinars and more information on the seller center can contribute to a better international selling experience. This kind of feedback is important and gives us further insights into what to advise sellers. 

Thanks, 

Bassil

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

@mallontown wrote:

Bassil, I ship all my items USPS and you mentioned it was not a good idea for undeveloped countries. Can you give me a list of those countries you would not use USPS for.

Hi @mallontown

We recommend using GSP or a commerical option like FedEx or DHL, whichever gives you the best rate, to developing and emerging markets. Developing and emerging markets consists of markets like Mexico, Russia, China of which infrastructure is still progressing and developed markets are those like Canada, Australia and U.K. I just listed a few of the bigger markets and you can find further resources online. 

Thanks, 

Bassil

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

If you have a GSP item and buyer files a SNAD how does a selller send a return shipping label when there is no such thing that exsits within USPS?

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

The restocking fee isn't the biggest problem. Shipping fee is the problem, we can't ship the item and then refund shipping fee as nobody will refund those to us.

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

If you list on another site and the buyer opens a case on that site, than the resolution would happen with our local CS agent in that country. For example, if you list on ebay.de and then a buyer opens a case against you, our Germany CS team would work with you and the buyer to try and resolve it. They will try and accomodate for English speakers even if the buyer only speaks German. 

What if the buyer is buying from ebay.com (US) or from "international sellers" listed on the German site.  In other words the item was listed ONLY on the US site, but ebay showed it elsewhere........

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

If you have a GSP item and buyer files a SNAD how does a selller send a return shipping label when there is no such thing that exsits within USPS?

Hi @bubbleman2010

Good question. You can use any carrier you like to get the buyer the return label. You can use a commercial option like FedEx or DHL or you can investigate options with the local post in that country. This will allow USPS to complete the last mile in the U.S. 

Let me know if that clarifies and thanks, 

Bassil

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

@bassileid5wrote:

@mallontownwrote:

Bassil, I ship all my items USPS and you mentioned it was not a good idea for undeveloped countries. Can you give me a list of those countries you would not use USPS for.

Hi @mallontown

We recommend using GSP or a commerical option like FedEx or DHL, whichever gives you the best rate, to developing and emerging markets. Developing and emerging markets consists of markets like Mexico, Russia, China of which infrastructure is still progressing and developed markets are those like Canada, Australia and U.K. I just listed a few of the bigger markets and you can find further resources online. 

Thanks, 

Bassil

Thanks you Bassil, it is refreshing to be able to get answers to important questions so quickly and without any _._.

Your are the man.

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 22 of 44
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

If you list on another site and the buyer opens a case on that site, than the resolution would happen with our local CS agent in that country. For example, if you list on ebay.de and then a buyer opens a case against you, our Germany CS team would work with you and the buyer to try and resolve it. They will try and accomodate for English speakers even if the buyer only speaks German. 

What if the buyer is buying from ebay.com (US) or from "international sellers" listed on the German site.  In other words the item was listed ONLY on the US site, but ebay showed it elsewhere........

Hi @dhbookds

Thanks for the follow up. 

If the buyer purchases it on ebay.de and opens a case on .de than the resolution would have to happen with our German CS team. If the Germany buyer purchase it on ebay.com, then the resolution happens with our U.S CS team. It depends which site the buyer purchased the item. 

Thanks again, 

Bassil

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

What are you guys doing  to spread the news about GSP? I been on the program for many years ( beta testing) and I love it!

The stomach ache I had when I was shipping internationally is gone 🙂

With that said I think there should be an increased awareness  and promotion of the program. Are you going to have a booth at eBay Open this year? Last year  you had the shipping booth but I did not  see an emphasis on GSP

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 24 of 44
latest reply

@rock4best wrote:

The restocking fee isn't the biggest problem. Shipping fee is the problem, we can't ship the item and then refund shipping fee as nobody will refund those to us.

Hi @rock4best

Interesting case. Not sure I fully understand your point but will try and touch on it. 

The return shipping fee can certainly be costly. Have you tried to bake in a little extra cost into your shipping to help subsidize some of the cost of the return shipping. This gives you at least a little more protection. 

Happy to understand further and reply in more depth. Thanks, 

Bassil

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

Bassil so a 3 pound $40.00 item going to China GSP buyers total shipping cost is $44.50,but if they file a SNAD I'm going to have to pay Fedex in excess of $200.00 for the return shipping is the solution?

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

What are you guys doing  to spread the news about GSP? I been on the program for many years ( beta testing) and I love it!

The stomach ache I had when I was shipping internationally is gone 🙂

With that said I think there should be an increased awareness  and promotion of the program. Are you going to have a booth at eBay Open this year? Last year  you had the shipping booth but I did not  see an emphasis on GSP

Hi @theshoppingmom2

Thanks for your positive feedback. 

Our GSP team will certainly be at the eBay open. If we do not have a specific GSP booth, feel free to visit our shipping booth and ask for one of the key GSP team members. Someone will be happy to point them out to you. In regards to GSP outreach, we are always trying to go out with additional material that will try and support sellers. We can look into more outreach as you mentioned. 

Thanks again, 

Bassil

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Bassil so a 3 pound $40.00 item going to China GSP buyers total shipping cost is $44.50,but if they file a SNAD I'm going to have to pay Fedex in excess of $200.00 for the return shipping is the solution?

Hi @bubbleman2010

Completley understand this rough situation. In this case, you would opt to send him another item and not ask it to be returned since the price of return shipping exceeds the cost of the item. For China, I would highly encourage learning about freight forwarding shipping options. A good one is called 4PX. They will help keep the cost down for shipping and return shipping. 

This is good feedback and always a tough one to deal with. Thanks, 

Bassil

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

The only reason I'm asking is for years GSP has kept the problem children at bay,but they've figured out a SNAD due to high cost of return shipping item will be just abandon and refund issued. Its a growing problem and seems there is no solution except abandon and refund...

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

Are there any additional fees for selling internationally now or in the future update that just came out ? Will you pay extra for exposure.  

There is is a higher fee to accept international payments with PayPal. Will this be the same with the new payment service?

Message 30 of 44
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: