cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Broadcast & Chat, June 6th from 12:30 PDT - Seller Diversity & General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi all, 

Please join us here from 12:30 PDT today for a live video broadcast with @dmholl1ns on the topic of Seller Diversity at eBay, followed by a General Topics Community Chat from 1-2pm PDT. 

Chat with you then! 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Live Broadcast & Chat, June 6th from 12:30 PDT - Seller Diversity & General Topics

My friend had a transaction with a new member a few days ago.  Today she got a refund request in via PP from this buyer saying that it was a unauthorized purchase.  When she went to look at the buyer's account it was NARU'd.

Is Ebay allowing for an account to be completely shut down when there is a live / recent transaction.  Or is the 60 day rule only for sellers?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 59
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

FedEx SmartPost is broken again.  We have an ongoing thread in the Technical Issues that has not had any eBay input for quite some time.  I no longer use SmartPost (cost prohibitive) but that doesn't change the fact that it's undercharging the buyer at purchase and the seller when purchasing the label.  The seller doesn't know they were undercharged until their invoice arrives and then only if they check.

Hi @dtexley3 - we're happy to review and see if we have updates. If you'll get me the link to the thread I'll see what I can do. 

I also have stopped using FedEx Smartpost, because it ALWAYS costs more than eBay tells me it costs, and charges the buyer. 
Several times when I have deliberately compared shipping options while setting up a listing, I find that USPS options are cheaper anyway.
That wasn't true when FedEx Smartpost first showed up, but it definitely is so now.

Message 32 of 59
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

see the View button in the first pic?  The second Pic is of the Customize screen from the View menu.

You learn something new every day, thanks so much for your help @dtexley3 and @a_c_green! I'll get this process grabbed to put something together for other members interested in this. grinning

Tyler,
eBay
Message 33 of 59
latest reply

When is the shipping calculator that greatly improves our chances of selling multpe items going to be fixed ?  Been broken for over two weeks now.

Message 34 of 59
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

Sorry brian@ebay.  @vrykalak Next to the search button click Advanced.  Go to the bottom and set the default Sort By to the your preference.  Easy Peasy.

Also, some (though mysteriously not all) Search results listings will have a "View" pulldown menu to the right of the "Sort" pulldown menu at upper right. Choices in the View menu include "Gallery View" or "Customize" options. Click on "Customize" and you will get a small popup window of options, one of which is to select your default sort order.

For reasons that I have not bothered to test, I can get that View pulldown in the results of one search topic that I do frequently, but it does not appear in the results of another, and yet the two searches differ only by the brand name I'm looking for. I have no idea why that is.

Once again corrected, this is the correct instructions, I had forgotten.

No, no, you're fine! Your instructions (Click the Advanced link to the right of the Search button) are also correct; the only important detail to mention for that strategy is that the Sort Order option is waaaay down at the bottom of the Advanced Search menu. Scroll all the way to the bottom and you should find it there.

Message 35 of 59
latest reply

Regarding the Summer Seller Update.

Ebay’s justification for these auto returns appears to be very skewed as it appears to me they are assuming / trying to imply that the majority of sellers allow an open Return Request to sit without response until just before each deadline date arrives.  I personally find that insulting.  I take far better care of my customers than that. 

I speak for myself and on EVERY single RR [return request] I have ever had, my customer hears from me in far less than 24 hours after they open the RR.  And usually with a resolution to whatever issue is at hand.  Whether that is to accept the return or offer a different solution.  I have NEVER taken a week to get the details of a RR worked out to my customer’s satisfaction.

Now certainly when a BUYER is to return the item it frequently happens that they take full advantage of the 5 days allowed to do so.  But that isn’t the seller doing that, it is the buyer.  The buyer is in control.  ONLY the timeline for a Seller’s requirements on the RRs are being shortened.

So to me, Ebay’s reasoning that this has been done to shorten the process time is simply misleading.  It appears to me that Ebay was/is just trying to state a reason that most will buy and that the real reason is just to make it appear to be a better system for buyers to get their money back quicker.  When in reality it does not speed up the process.  Unless Ebay wants to shorten the time the buyer has to ship the item back too.  They have shortened the seller’s response time, why not shorten the buyer’s too if it is actually Ebay’s desire to shorten the turnaround of returns?

If it is really Ebay’s intention to NOT penalize sellers for unwarranted SNADs, then Ebay needs to give us a vehicle in which to accurately resolve falsely filed SNADs.

It also appears to me from what I currently see on my dashboard that BRRs are represented in the rates on the dashboard without distinction from a SNAD.  So that makes me ask, is Ebay going to be holding BRRs against sellers too in the stat evals starting in September?

Message 36 of 59
latest reply

Re diversity. So sick and tired of hearing about it.

Did you not know that one of the GREAT things about the internet was no-one knows who or what you are? Sounds to me like diversity is just trying to push that some (for whatever reason) are "speshul".

Race, colour, creed, gender etc mean little or nothing to me when I'm selling or buying. (except that I tend to avoid sellers from China & now India)

So, to sum up. "Diversity" is a crock of you know what. I'd prefer equality.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 37 of 59
latest reply

Good afternoon eBay Support Team,

I have been experiencing some strange Sold Search results while researching items for resale.  This is NOT happening every search that I perform but it does occur but with no apparent pattern.  When I click on an item in the Sold Search list to look at it in more detail the listing that is opened has switched to a different item in the same category.  Pics below of two that I took the time to make screen shots of.

I first  search for the item and then when the list is returned I use the Sold check box on the left to switch to Sold items.  The top portion of each pic shows the Sold items and the larger pic shows what I get when I click to open one of them.

Searches were for:

1. Ball Mason Jar Holiday Lids - Sold search shows 3 with the correct Christmas pattern but opening ANY one of the three goes to a Blue Gingham pattern

2. The cast iron search was for a Griswold # 8 Safety Cooker and one of the returned Sold Search was for a huge Cast Iron lot (over 3K) ... so when I clicked on  it to try and see the other pieces in the lot all I got was the Griswold # 13 which was also sold for over 3K

Has anyone else reported strange Sold Search results like this?  I can still use the info on the initial Sold Search list that is returned but going past that has some occasional issues.

Sold Search 1.jpgSold Seach 2.jpg

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 38 of 59
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

My friend had a transaction with a new member a few days ago.  Today she got a refund request in via PP from this buyer saying that it was a unauthorized purchase.  When she went to look at the buyer's account it was NARU'd.

Is Ebay allowing for an account to be completely shut down when there is a live / recent transaction.  Or is the 60 day rule only for sellers?

Howdy @mam98031

The process to voluntarily close an account is the same for all members, the 60 day waiting period would be in effect. 

If we have concerns about an account and take action on it, such a waiting period would not apply. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 39 of 59
latest reply

@mendelsons wrote:

When is the shipping calculator that greatly improves our chances of selling multpe items going to be fixed ?  Been broken for over two weeks now.

Hi @mendelsons, can you give me more details about the issue your experiencing with the Shipping Calculator?  

Brian,
Community Team
Message 40 of 59
latest reply

There has been some discussion about the upcoming metrics.

Question #1 - What date will this be put in place? Will it be 9/20 - when evaluations are done?

Question #2 - Is the additional 4% penalty for going over 1% on SNAD returns per category or will it affect all your cateories. Ex - collectibles - .4 SNAD return rate / clothing 1/4% return rate. So will that 4% additional FVFs also be applied to any collectibles you sell?

Question #3 - When a seller has successfully won an SNAD case as buyer's remorse - why is that still being counted in the metrics as an SNAD and works against them? Many of us, before the change in April. successfully fought an SNAD as the buyer admitted in messages that they wanted to return for a fit issue but they then opened the case as an SNAD so as not to pay return shipping.  We have called and had CS look at the message and have had those cases closed in our favor.

Message 41 of 59
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Howdy @mam98031

The process to voluntarily close an account is the same for all members, the 60 day waiting period would be in effect. 

If we have concerns about an account and take action on it, such a waiting period would not apply. 🙂

I'm not sure I understand.  So if there are active transactions and Ebay deems there is a problem with the account, Ebay can close down that members account [instead of just freezing it or something] which in turn give a seller no way inside of Ebay to resolve a pending issue?  So the seller can just be stuck holding the bag so to speak?

Message 42 of 59
latest reply

Community Team brian.t@ebay
Re: Live Broadcast & Chat, June 6th from 12:30 PDT - Seller Diversity & General Topics
in reply to mendelsons 06-06-2018 01:47:50 PM
brian.t@ebay
@mendelsons wrote:
When is the shipping calculator that greatly improves our chances of selling multpe items going to be fixed ? Been broken for over two weeks now.

Hi @mendelsons, can you give me more details about the issue your experiencing with the Shipping Calculator?

When you use eBay shipping calculator on Shipping and Payments tab (desktop version) and try to get a shipping estimate for a quantity greater than 1 after you hit the button it boots you out of that page and resets the page so you have to click on the shipping and payments tab again and the quantity will always go to its default of 1. You cannot change the quantity. Supposedly this is a known issue for a coupe weeks....am I wrong ??
Message 43 of 59
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Good afternoon eBay Support Team,

I have been experiencing some strange Sold Search results while researching items for resale.  This is NOT happening every search that I perform but it does occur but with no apparent pattern.  When I click on an item in the Sold Search list to look at it in more detail the listing that is opened has switched to a different item in the same category.  Pics below of two that I took the time to make screen shots of.

I first  search for the item and then when the list is returned I use the Sold check box on the left to switch to Sold items.  The top portion of each pic shows the Sold items and the larger pic shows what I get when I click to open one of them.

Searches were for:

1. Ball Mason Jar Holiday Lids - Sold search shows 3 with the correct Christmas pattern but opening ANY one of the three goes to a Blue Gingham pattern

2. The cast iron search was for a Griswold # 8 Safety Cooker and one of the returned Sold Search was for a huge Cast Iron lot (over 3K) ... so when I clicked on  it to try and see the other pieces in the lot all I got was the Griswold # 13 which was also sold for over 3K

Has anyone else reported strange Sold Search results like this?  I can still use the info on the initial Sold Search list that is returned but going past that has some occasional issues.

This happened to me, too.
I searched for Completed Listings. There were 38 items that matched my search criteria. Most of them opened to the correct listing when I selected them, but two of them opened to something similar but unrelated.
I called CS about that, and the agent appalled me by saying that's absolutely normal when you look at a listing that ended...eBay will switch the link to something similar that is still available!

Message 44 of 59
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

There has been some discussion about the upcoming metrics.

Question #1 - What date will this be put in place? Will it be 9/20 - when evaluations are done?

Question #2 - Is the additional 4% penalty for going over 1% on SNAD returns per category or will it affect all your cateories. Ex - collectibles - .4 SNAD return rate / clothing 1/4% return rate. So will that 4% additional FVFs also be applied to any collectibles you sell?

Question #3 - When a seller has successfully won an SNAD case as buyer's remorse - why is that still being counted in the metrics as an SNAD and works against them? Many of us, before the change in April. successfully fought an SNAD as the buyer admitted in messages that they wanted to return for a fit issue but they then opened the case as an SNAD so as not to pay return shipping.  We have called and had CS look at the message and have had those cases closed in our favor.

@re @ 2.  It is not really a 4% penalty.  For example if you pay a 10% fee now and it goes up to 14% because you fell below standard in your selling status.  That is NOT a 4% increase that is a 40% increase in fees over what you would have paid as an above standard or higher seller.

Message 45 of 59
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: