cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 23 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have!

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

eBay continues to claim they are committed to its buyers and sellers.  We still have yet to see any proof of that commitment when it comes to the CS side of things. When is eBay going to quit hiding behind the pandemic excuse and get their support systems to at minimum par with internet providers? It is pretty sad when my ISP provides better support for a mere $60 a month than eBay does for $1000 a month.

This is especially critical with the MP changes eBay is ramrodding down our throats with no support or consistency.

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 2 of 63
latest reply

Yesterday the System Status page was showing Service Disruptions for Billing & Payouts but did not give any specifics about what the issues were or how sellers could identify if they had been affected.

I noticed that today the status page was updated to reflect the issues had been resolved without any further information.

Can you shed some light on what disruptions/issues were being experienced specifically so sellers know what to look for and report in case we see lingering issues?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 3 of 63
latest reply

Why does eBay continue to send buyers emails about items that are exactly like what they've bought right after they complete a purchase? It invites buyer remorse.

On  a different account I had a buyer purchase a expensive, tough to ship item, and while that item was still in transit, my buyer got a email showing them one that sold weeks earlier for a lower price. Buyer was complaining before they even received it, but while it was already in transit with a freight shipper, so not retrievable without huge fees. Buyer continues to find issues with the one they bought, expecting a discount to get it to the cost of the one that is not even still listed for sale - all the time knowing that I would be out almost $1k if I have them send it back.

As sellers we struggle with inaccurate SNAD claims from buyers all the time to avoid the return shipping fees on buyer remorse purchases, and then eBay makes it worse by showing them what they could've bought.

Message 4 of 63
latest reply

I have noticed that lately when I get an offer on one of my listings, I can not readily see the zip code of the buyer.  Since I include shipping in most of my listed prices, it does help me decide how deep of a discount I can accept based on how far I am going to have to ship the item.  Is this a permanent change?  Thank you!

-----

Message 5 of 63
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Yesterday the System Status page was showing Service Disruptions for Billing & Payouts but did not give any specifics about what the issues were or how sellers could identify if they had been affected.

I noticed that today the status page was updated to reflect the issues had been resolved without any further information.

Can you shed some light on what disruptions/issues were being experienced specifically so sellers know what to look for and report in case we see lingering issues?

Hi @valueaddedresource - we requested more information on the issue from yesterday and have not yet heard back on details. If and when we hear back we will update the chat as well as the threads you've tagged us to on the subject. Thanks!

Update:

Hi @valueaddedresource - I have received the following information on the subject from the Payments team:

The issue impacted a limited number of sellers but has since been resolved.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 63
latest reply

10 minutes no reply guess this query is proprietary, gotta pass it thru legal 

Message 7 of 63
latest reply

Tried to pay for an order last night on my phone. The circle just kept spinning and spinning for a few minutes. Finally had to close it out. Paid on my computer this morning.

Just a head up, don't know if it's a widespread problem.

Message 8 of 63
latest reply

10 minutes also, no reply, guess this query is proprietary, gotta pass it thru legal 

Message 9 of 63
latest reply

@auto_manuals_and_more wrote:

Why does eBay continue to send buyers emails about items that are exactly like what they've bought right after they complete a purchase? It invites buyer remorse.

On  a different account I had a buyer purchase a expensive, tough to ship item, and while that item was still in transit, my buyer got a email showing them one that sold weeks earlier for a lower price. Buyer was complaining before they even received it, but while it was already in transit with a freight shipper, so not retrievable without huge fees. Buyer continues to find issues with the one they bought, expecting a discount to get it to the cost of the one that is not even still listed for sale - all the time knowing that I would be out almost $1k if I have them send it back.

As sellers we struggle with inaccurate SNAD claims from buyers all the time to avoid the return shipping fees on buyer remorse purchases, and then eBay makes it worse by showing them what they could've bought.

Yes, it's an issue for sellers. As a buyer I would prefer to get ads for related items, not items I just purchased. If I buy a dog leash and get ads for more dog leashes, what message is that sending me? Is there a problem with the one I just purchased and I'll soon need another one? Instead, send me ads for dog toys, dog food, poop bags, etc.

Message 10 of 63
latest reply

I know I may sound like a broken record, but we are passing the 4 month mark by my notes where we are still not getting email notifications for threads we are subscribing to and following.  This is really a huge amount of time.  The bell is horrible and frequently inaccurate.

Updates please.

-----

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 63
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

eBay continues to claim they are committed to its buyers and sellers.  We still have yet to see any proof of that commitment when it comes to the CS side of things. When is eBay going to quit hiding behind the pandemic excuse and get their support systems to at minimum par with internet providers? It is pretty sad when my ISP provides better support for a mere $60 a month than eBay does for $1000 a month.

This is especially critical with the MP changes eBay is ramrodding down our throats with no support or consistency.

@gwzcomps COVID-19 has resulted in us having our customer service people move to a work from home setup to ensure their safety (I'm also working from home and am very grateful to eBay for this) and this did change how we service members for some topics. The managed payments team is still available to help members by phone though. You can reach them by going to this page and selecting 'Have us call you' at the bottom. They'll be happy to help you with your payments questions.

For other questions you can go here and select 'Contact us' at the bottom of the. Depending on the topic you will be able to have us call you, chat online, or send an email. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 12 of 63
latest reply

Just wanted to thank you and the team for being thick skinned enough to do this.

I do understand such is not an easy task.

Message 13 of 63
latest reply

@tev4all wrote:

10 minutes no reply guess this query is proprietary, gotta pass it thru legal 

If that were unusual on the chat I'd say there would be cause for concern.  But there are always questions that take them longer to respond to for likely a multitude of reasons.  I respect it can be annoying but try a little patience, they will usually get to them.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 63
latest reply

I have noticed that many threads posted on the "selling" discussion board are moved by KHronos employees for being off topic.  This seems to encompass a wide range of topics but mainly anything that has to do with getting paid and/or managed payments and anything related to shipping.  

I realize that there are other boards for different topics, but if they are related to selling in general, why the push to remove them so quickly from the selling board.

As a long time seller, I do find that a big part of selling is getting paid and shipping.

Is the goal to help users help each other with selling questions or managing where a person asks a question?  Honestly, I find myself ignoring some questions because I don't know if the question is going to get the "boot" to another board.  I'm not even sure I want to have any discussion or response when there is a chance that my comment/answer is going to be purged to some other board.

Why the push to move the threads so quickly from one board to another when they all seem to relate to the same topic (selling on ebay)

And if there is a push to move threads, why not have a suggestion when the author begins (writes) the title to direct them to another discussion board?  I  am not going to chase threads around the community to find answers or seek help.

And if a thread is moved, I would like my responses purged from the thread when they are moved.

Message 15 of 63
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: