cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - eBay Fall Seller Update

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. This week our topic is the eBay Fall Seller Update. We'll be joined by an expert to address your questions. If you need to catch up on the Update you can review it in detail here

If you're new to our weekly chat, welcome! To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of the first post between 1-2 PM Pacific Time, type your question, and hit submit. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically - so if you don't see an answer right away, don't despair! We'll get to it. 

The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep refreshing and scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered. You will get a notification when we respond.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Re: Community Chat, September 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - eBay Fall Seller Update

@renegade-chance wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@renegade-chance wrote:

Tyler... what do YOU like most and least about the Fall Seller Update?

Hi @renegade-chance - what an interesting question! 

My favorite thing has got to be the Time Away feature. It's something that I've been putting in the 'suggestion box' since 2013 and I'm so excited  to see it finally implemented. 

'Least liked' is hard for me to answer, so I'll go with 'least excited about'. That would have to be the category and classification changes. I know that they're important and are a kind of housekeeping we do, but they're dull to read about. 😉

How about you?

AGREED on the Time Away Feature... hands down.
Least liked .... Jordan not having updated the Returns for categories yet with different return policies.... (I know, he's working on it).

Well that's a bit unfair.  You didn't ask what Tyler thought should have been addressed in the Update that wasn't.  You asked him what he least liked about the update.  Two completely different questions.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 79
latest reply

@hknumismatics wrote:

Today's questions from my side will come as individual posts - of which some are follow-ups on previous topics.

1) There still appears to be a glitch in the eBay app for buyers wishing to switch from a US delivery address to a non-US delivery address at the payment stage. This was reported by me here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Bug-whereby-the-buyer-cannot-choose-correct-ship-to-a...

Comments: Firstly it should be figured out why the app is giving a faulty error message that the seller does not ship to their destination (when the seller does). Then after fixing this it should be figured out if the checkout shall be able to recalculate postage for international delivery, or if there should be a link to request new invoice with the new delivery address, or maybe an option to "make your chosen address primary address so that the seller can send a new invoice for you to pay".

Also, what can be done about removing my shipping defects (dropping me from TRS as this bug accounts for 3 out of 6 shipping dings) due to this eBay technical glitch?

@hknumismatics The weekly chat is a great place to ask these types of questions. Most weeks are 'General Topic' weeks where you can bring anything. This week was a topic-specific chat based on the eBay Fall Seller Update, which is why your question didn't get addressed right away (we prioritized answering on-topic questions). Thanks for your patience!

Without looking at a specific example it's difficult to know why this happened. I'll email you to request more details later today. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 32 of 79
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi gwzcomps,

Thanks for your comment and apologies if earlier communications didn't reach you. 

The item specifics mandates that went into effect on September 9 were announced earlier this year as part of the Spring Seller Update.

That announcement was followed up with targeted email communications to sellers in impacted categories, and also an announcement board post on August 27.

Another option is to bookmark and regularly check the Seller Center page for Item Specifics, there's a lot of information about recently announced item specifics as well as some indication of future roll outs.  

The Fall Seller Update Item Specifics announcement highlights some of the tools available to help understand which listings need item specifics.  We recommend utilizing those tools to get listings ready for future roll outs. 

Thanks again for your comment.

@justin@seller_update

Yeah but those updates never specified what will happen with the required specifics till 1 week before.  These specifics prevent me from listing around $50k worth of items I regularly sell.  Many of the required specifics don't even make any sense.  Despite my attempts to get help from CS and staff I have been basically ignored.

Message 33 of 79
latest reply

The changes to shipping (adding UPS) appear to have !!!ONCE AGAIN!!! messed up FedEx rates.  The deep discount on 2Day is no longer being shown to customers during search.  So now ALL my items that have 2Day as the first shipping option are heavily overpriced.   Why does this continue to happen over and over?  If the FedEx divisor is still 166 then that should be used everywhere.     I work for a fortune 100 company and if any of our IT dev teams had made such an error more than once (this is at least the 6th time this year) they would have been re-assigned the 2nd or 3rd time and TERMINATED the 4th.  eBay seems to have no internal controls in the software cycle AT ALL.

Other FedEx rates are affected as well, it looks like the divisor was changed for all FedEx services.

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 34 of 79
latest reply

@renegade-chance wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@renegade-chance wrote:

Tyler... what do YOU like most and least about the Fall Seller Update?

Hi @renegade-chance - what an interesting question! 

My favorite thing has got to be the Time Away feature. It's something that I've been putting in the 'suggestion box' since 2013 and I'm so excited  to see it finally implemented. 

'Least liked' is hard for me to answer, so I'll go with 'least excited about'. That would have to be the category and classification changes. I know that they're important and are a kind of housekeeping we do, but they're dull to read about. 😉

How about you?

AGREED on the Time Away Feature... hands down.
Least liked .... Jordan not having updated the Returns for categories yet with different return policies.... (I know, he's working on it).

Hi @renegade-chance - fingers crossed we see that sometime soon!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 35 of 79
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mam98031,

Thank you for the questions and apologies that it didn't get addressed in the other board.  I am going to answer to the best of my knowledge and have also reached out to the product team in charge of this to get the definitive answers. 

The alias email address will serve as the buyer & seller email address for the transaction.  You will still be able to contact the buyer through the alias email address and it will ultimately get to their registered email address.  The member to member communications policy states that exchange of personal information (except names) is not allowed.  That includes email, phone, and other contact information. 

The alias email addresses are tied to buyer and seller in a transaction for 1 year.  If you need to send an invoice or communicate with the buyer, send directly to the buyer alias email address and it will be forwarded to their registered email address. You can send attachments up to 10mb, and that supports file types PDF, DOC, TXT, JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP, TIFF.

Message 36 of 79
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

These required item specifics further prove eBay has no regard for their sellers.  The consequences were only mentioned 1 week before the date they started.  The required specifics in my field show that eBay is incapable of doing their due diligence with anything they do.  With the one week notice I have tried to file complaints and find work arounds.  I feel the one week notice we were given was a deliberate attempt to avoid any complaints that would change the decision.  I get that eBay doesn’t want the bad optics of getting rid of small businesses and people selling used items outright.  If eBay is going to pull this bull then quit using us to prop up your company.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Have you tried using the downloadable Excel worksheet where you can make changes as needed to the ISBs and then reload it to the site?

Message 37 of 79
latest reply

Tyler, Rebecca or Brian ... Please tell me where I can find the guide that explains the different classification for user ids?   Example - Trailblazer, Guide, Rock Star, Adventurer, etc.   What the levels and what do they mean?

Thanks!  Renegade

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 38 of 79
latest reply

Any time frame for the launch of the new feature for Seller Initiated Offers? The Update says "September", but I'm wondering if we have anything more specific. I'm looking forward to trying it.

----

Message 39 of 79
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

Regarding eBay's new strategy of concealing buyer's email addresses with a disguised ID of gobbledegook@members.ebay.com (which I'm told will route the message to the buyer's email account):

1) I assume that address will work if sending the buyer a message from an outside source; is that correct? I routinely have USPS tracking updates sent to my buyer's address as well as my own, so that they will know when to expect their shipment. The updates come from usps.com (and I should mention here that USPS does not repurpose the email addresses for anything at all, only the delivery details for that specific shipment).

2) Also, after two weeks, when the buyer's address is deleted from the sale record, does that particular gobbledegook@members.ebay.com address remain valid for that member, if I have it on file at home? I did see that each member has the same disguised address for each purchase, so I would hope it remains valid between purchases as well, even over long periods of time when that buyer may not have made a purchase.

Basically, I don't care what my buyer's real email address is, and I don't care if eBay wants to screen the messages, but I do want to maintain a working email connection with my buyer from the sale date onward.

That makes me wonder how hard it would be to reverse engineer the way eBay jumbles the email info 🤔

Message 40 of 79
latest reply

woops sorry gwzcomps, hit the wrong reply button

Message 41 of 79
latest reply

Selling Question

I own a “Patrick Mahomes 2017 Panini Cracked Ice Autographed Sports Card”. 

The card is numbered # 20 of 25.

It is printed on the Front “Authentic Signature” and is printed on the back “The autograph is guaranteed by Panini America, Inc.”

But I see there are currently 23 eBay listings for this same # 20 of 25 card.  My card nor any of those on sale stated anywhere that they are a reprint on the card itself.  But, all are for sale as a reprint or “RP”?  Why?

So since the card is not printed anywhere on it that is a reprint, can I assume I have the real thing.

It seems wrong to be to sell it as a reprint, since it states nowhere on the card that it is such.

Maybe Panini America, Inc. made a mistake and printed hundreds of this same # 20 of 25 and they are all real?  

If it is not printed “reprint” on the card, I can call it an original, correct?  And selling it as a reprint without being printed as a reprint could be violating eBay policy for accuracy?

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 42 of 79
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

The changes to shipping (adding UPS) appear to have !!!ONCE AGAIN!!! messed up FedEx rates.  The deep discount on 2Day is no longer being shown to customers during search.  So now ALL my items that have 2Day as the first shipping option are heavily overpriced.   Why does this continue to happen over and over?  If the FedEx divisor is still 166 then that should be used everywhere.     I work for a fortune 100 company and if any of our IT dev teams had made such an error more than once (this is at least the 6th time this year) they would have been re-assigned the 2nd or 3rd time and TERMINATED the 4th.  eBay seems to have no internal controls in the software cycle AT ALL.

@dtexley3You also forgot to mention how we are being forced to be guinea pigs for yet another unfinished project.  Bad enough the FedEx rates are messed up hurting buyers.  If we choose to use UPS shipping we can't follow eBay policies and fully insure items when required.  If we are going to be forced into an unfinished product the least eBay can do is reimburse us somehow for being beta testers!

Message 43 of 79
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@renegade-chance wrote:

Tyler ... who is the eBay expert who will answering the Fall Seller Update questions...?

Hi @renegade-chance - we were lucky enough to get @Anonymous to join us this week! He's a pretty good know-it-all about the Update and if he doesn't know, he knows who to ask. We're excited he's here!

Is that Justin Johnson?   

Message 44 of 79
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi mam98031,

Thank you for the questions and apologies that it didn't get addressed in the other board.  I am going to answer to the best of my knowledge and have also reached out to the product team in charge of this to get the definitive answers. 

The alias email address will serve as the buyer & seller email address for the transaction.  You will still be able to contact the buyer through the alias email address and it will ultimately get to their registered email address.  The member to member communications policy states that exchange of personal information (except names) is not allowed.  That includes email, phone, and other contact information. 

The alias email addresses are tied to buyer and seller in a transaction for 1 year.  If you need to send an invoice or communicate with the buyer, send directly to the buyer alias email address and it will be forwarded to their registered email address. You can send attachments up to 10mb, and that supports file types PDF, DOC, TXT, JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP, TIFF.

That is not entirely correct.  When we have an active transaction we are able to get access to names, physical addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.  Or we were unless this policy has now changed.  And if that is the case, then we need that conveyed to all of us.  The Seller Update did not say that the policy on this has changed.

So you are saying if we use the alias email address in PP [for an invoice], it will work and reach the buyer?  The policy page update is silent on this but it use to be that we could get info through emailing inside of Ebay on a current transaction without getting a warning.  Has this now changed?  If so, then how are sellers going to be able to invoice a buyer for after sale issues such as I described in my original post?

----

Message 45 of 79
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: