cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, June 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - Trading Cards Image Detection

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the trading cards team. They are here to address any questions you may have about the image detection feature on the app. 

You can read the announcement for this feature here, as well as viewing the FAQs here: Android or iOS

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

@sin-n-dex wrote:

Not related to trading cards...

You had a police items policy that listed what could or could not be sold. You have since reduced the content of this policy to be very vague. Your CSR in the listing department told me buttons are permitted, but the policy says "uniforms are not permitted". A button is a part of a uniform.

How do I know when listing something whether or not it complies with policy? The police items I have are dated pre 1974 and post 1948 (and from Great Britain), and when I asked if I could list them, I was told "Nazi items are not allowed". So your staff doesn't even know enough history to understand what it is I'm trying to list.

To try and list something and see if it works is a bad idea because of warnings and suspensions. I got a warning for listing a pin from a Canadian officer's uniform that was SIXTY YEARS OLD, and told that it was not allowed. If it's from 1960, how am I to know whether or not it's considered vintage enough to list?

Please clarify the policy. I'm afraid to list anything now, even buttons, even though I'm sure everything I have complies with your policy (and I've disposed of the two items eBay cancelled on  me).

C.

Hi @sin-n-dex - believe it or not this it's actually difficult for me to get you a detailed answer. When I asked the team in charge they said:

In general, if it resembles anything at all that is currently in use by any law enforcement agency, we will remove it to prevent impersonation. Certain law enforcement agencies also set a higher standard with us and request any uniform or components be removed. If we receive such requests the items are removed.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 46 of 49
latest reply

@pokemoncatches wrote:

Trading card related, the .30 fixed fee per transaction really prevents a lot of sellers from listing low value $0.99-$1.99 cards. Offering these cards promotes us as a seller who is "go to" and increases business.

Customers tend to purchase one card at a time, and that's an excessive fee to swallow on such a small value sale. Remember when managed payments didn't have a fixed fee? I do, and it's just one of many reasons we don't personally have 1,000+ older Pokemon cards listed (multiple QTY for each listing). We sell elsewhere because eBay has become so incredibly frustrating and we're making a killing on this current market.

For card sellers reading this weeks chat, with plain white envelope, you need to print to a label not to the envelope directly. I will say this is an incredible feature but not enough to put up with eBay as is. We had one issue out of 400+ orders shipped PWE but we used a Rollo and printed to a 4x6 thermal label which was placed on the envelope itself. Also provided protection to the envelope. Props here, it is the only positive feedback I have for modern eBay.

As for the new feature, I've got nothing. Odd to restrict a weekly chat to such a narrow subtopic within a niche topic to begin with.

@pokemoncatches thanks for this feedback!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 47 of 49
latest reply

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques I got a response to the question about search filters and custom item specifics: "Customer specifics are not used in search in general and the eBay defined aspects are the best bet to use."

Something to keep in mind, is that you can send a request to sdsupport@ebay.com to see if they can add something to the specifics, if it's a field that you find buyers use a lot in search and you use a lot on your listings, though it depends on the specific as to whether or not we'll be able to add it. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

OFF TOPIC

Right now, I'm on track to have my required item specifics completed by the July deadline. However, Life sometimes throws curveballs, so if I don't get finished: What is the penalty for a listing that lacks required item specifics by the deadline (or any extension of the deadline)?

I've looked high and low and haven't found any up to date info on this question.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques Following up on this one, once it hits the deadline for when required item specifics need to be added, fixed-price listings will not renew if they are Good til Canceled, you won't be able to complete drafts that don't have the required item specifics and to relist any auctions they will also need the required item specifics. Hope that helps!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 49 of 49
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: