cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 3 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Hi, Thanks for holding chat again!

I have a question about group 2 of managed payments. It appears I will no longer get an invoice for my store subscription or late shipping fees(ie FedEx). Instead those will be taken from sales receipts. Then if not enough cash is left, the remainder will come from my checking, not a credit card or PayPal even if I were to prefer. I phoned cs twice and this was confirmed. My settings reflect this – I cannot add a credit card as a preferred payment method for fees.

Can you confirm

1. No more invoices or “heads up” when excess fees are taken from checking?
  2. We must pay store subscription fees and FedEx shipping in cash instead of credit card? Permanently?

If these two things are correct, there are several problems.

1. if we can’t pay our subscription fees with a cash back or points card, that is another cost to us to use MP.
  2. If part of a fee that belongs to a prior sale (like a late shipping charge) or is non-specific (like a store fee) comes partially from current sales receipts and the rest from checking, that is extra accounting adjustments we have to make. This is exactly what happened to me last week with December FedEx fees, a small amount came out of a current sale and the rest from my checking.
  3. I struggle with the idea that our customers can pay in credit card but your customers(us) have to pay cash.
  4. I understand group 1 will be notified before this happens to them, but I joined MP on Jan 1, and what I understood from the website was that I could continue to pay my invoice via credit card. There was no information letting me know that I was in a group for whom the MP settings were different. Will you be updating the website to indicate that everything, even store subscriptions, must be paid in cash?

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 2 of 71
latest reply

Hi everyone,

I and others have been experiencing a bug where we can’t sign up for Managed Payments or edit Personal Info (i.e. registration address). Attempting to do so results in the message: “Something went wrong. Please try again later.” I’ve contacted eBay support multiple times in the past month. The reps have confirmed that it’s a bug on eBay’s end and reported it to the Technical Department. However, there’s been no resolution and now I’m locked out of making new or editing current listings since I’m not signed up for Managed Payments…because the website won’t let me sign up for it.

The thing is that this issue has been reported for months and it seems like no progress has been made on it. I know you personally can’t address this issue but would you be able to relay this to the Technical/IT Department to push this towards a resolution? It seems unfair to lose access to selling because a bug makes it impossible to sign up for Managed Payments.

Here are a few other threads discussing the same issue:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Can-t-sign-up-for-Managed-Payments-Error-message-always/m-p/3...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Managed-payments-sign-up-problems/m-p/31549234

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Managed-Payments-Registration-Walkthrough/td-p/31092219/page/...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Account-unusable-no-help-provided-by-eBay-unable-to-edit-pr...

Thank you for your help.

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 3 of 71
latest reply

When I click on ship your next item, it goes to the most recently paid. I want it to go to the earliest paid. Is this possible? I tried changing the order of the list, but it still goes to the most recently paid.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 4 of 71
latest reply

brittanie@ebay   payments_team@ebay 

Just when we *finally* got a clear and definitive answer from the payments team that seller collected sales tax *is* included in the 1099-K, but eBay collected tax is *not*, eBay seems to be doing its best to throw more confusion back into this subject.

rebecca@ebay  & Griff talking about 1099-K’s on the eBay for business podcast made no clear distinction between seller collected or eBay collected tax, which just muddies the water and isn’t very helpful.

Then I noticed today that the 1099-K help page has been changed! The previous version was a much more clear, direct, and explicit explanation of what is and is not included in the 1099-K and most importantly, why it is or is not included.

1099.jpg

The new version is much less clear.

1099Khelp2-3.jpg

“Form 1099-K does not include sales tax, which is automatically collected and remitted by eBay.”

Forgive me for calling in the grammar police here, but the placement of the comma in that sentence makes it read as if all sales tax is automatically collected by eBay and therefore all sales tax will not be included in the 1099-K form.

While this could certainly change in the coming year, it is important to note there are still a few states which have sales tax but do not have Marketplace Facilitator laws on the books, so sellers may still have an obligation to collect and remit tax for those states directly.

Sellers need to have clear, direct, and accurate information about Managed Payments, and especially about how it may affect their income tax filing.

Why on earth would eBay change a “help” page to be far less helpful when the previous language was much more precise and easier to understand?

Or is this change an indication that something bigger has changed in the policy or how eBay will be handling 1099-Ks going forward? And if so, why is that not spelled out?!

_____

Message 5 of 71
latest reply

The active listings page search on Seller Hub (not general search) is malfunctioning. Pretend I sell t-shirts.

If I type “shirt” in the search box it yields 0 listings.

If I type “tie dye” in the search box it yields 0 listings.

If I type “large” in the search box it will pull up a lot of listings, 30 of which are tie dye shirts.

All listings have both “shirt” and “tie dye” in the listing title. My search filters are set appropriately.

I don’t actually sell tie dye shirts, but I needed a generic example to explain my issue. I have screenshots showing my actual items and search results that I can send via e-mail.

-----

Edit: A reply to your report can be found here

Message 6 of 71
latest reply

@pokemonapprentice wrote:

Hi everyone,

I and others have been experiencing a bug where we can’t sign up for Managed Payments or edit Personal Info (i.e. registration address). Attempting to do so results in the message: “Something went wrong. Please try again later.” I’ve contacted eBay support multiple times in the past month. The reps have confirmed that it’s a bug on eBay’s end and reported it to the Technical Department. However, there’s been no resolution and now I’m locked out of making new or editing current listings since I’m not signed up for Managed Payments…because the website won’t let me sign up for it.

The thing is that this issue has been reported for months and it seems like no progress has been made on it. I know you personally can’t address this issue but would you be able to relay this to the Technical/IT Department to push this towards a resolution? It seems unfair to lose access to selling because a bug makes it impossible to sign up for Managed Payments.

Here are a few other threads discussing the same issue:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Can-t-sign-up-for-Managed-Payments-Error-message-always/m-p/3...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Managed-payments-sign-up-problems/m-p/31549234

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Managed-Payments-Registration-Walkthrough/td-p/31092219/page/...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Account-unusable-no-help-provided-by-eBay-unable-to-edit-pr...

Thank you for your help.

Hi @pokemonapprentice - I'm sorry to hear about what's been going on. You have done the best thing already (having a payments teammate contact you about it). You're correct that I can't do much when it comes to managed payments, but I will make sure to report and put a spotlight on this as a continuing trend.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 71
latest reply

I’ve been trying to reach Payments CS for nearly a week and I keep getting the below message.

nohelp.png

My issue is regarding a technical error with funds on one of my transactions. I’ve been in Payments for about 2 years now and I know the issue I’m experiencing is not how the system works. I also have a question about a transaction with no identifying information- also not the norm- so I have no idea what it’s for.

Please tell me-

- How can I get a Payments rep on the phone (for quickest resolution) or chat? I've been trying for nearly a week with zero luck.

- How does eBay expect sellers to run a business here when they can’t get help concerning their finances that eBay is controlling?

- What if this was a time-sensitive issue regarding a large dollar amount and there were circumstances that required CS assistance? What are sellers supposed to do?

Payments CS used to be great. Now that it's opened up to everyone, CS is non-existent. I know they’re overwhelmed with newbies to the program, but this is ridiculous that I can’t get any help for nearly a week.

_____

Message 8 of 71
latest reply

In December I shipped a package via UPS. I entered the dimensions of 36 x 24 x 4 with a weight of 14 pounds and purchased the label through ebay. When my invoice arrived it had a charge of $991.99 for shipping for this package. I have been trying to resolve this issue for more than a month. Ebay's dispute department says they submitted this issue to UPS and the amount is correct. UPS says the package was 81 x 40 x 3 and 90 pounds. UPS cannot help me because the label was purchased through ebay, and I am a third party.  Ebay expects me to accept this resolution. I do not have a thousand dollars to pay for someone else's mistake. I have been bounced from department to department, and I cannot speak to someone from the dispute department. What can I do to resolve this problem?

-----

edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 9 of 71
latest reply

I'm having an issue with items in "Inventory" not updating when I make changes to business policies which is duplicating and triplicating all of my policies.

I think it might be an Inventory or possibly Seller Hub issue and not necessarily business policies, but I don't know for sure. I don't know where to go to report this. I can tell you from experience that general CS doesn't even know what the Inventory section is- or business policies, for that matter- and I'm not about to waste my & their time with phone calls that go nowhere.

_____

Message 10 of 71
latest reply

Hello

Sorry for the long post….

Is anyone addressing the long standing issue with the Ebay Shipping calculator error for items that have a standard additional handling surcharge when using UPS ( Never have any problems with Fedex) ? This results in excess charges when billed later for UPS shipping labels purchased through Ebay

We have had trouble getting the point across to Ebay customer service reps for months. We have several examples of UPS shipments where shipping charges were exactly $16.00 more than the Ebay shipping calculator estimated ( and what we paid for the estimated label )  These are all different items, weights, and sizes , and all were the same $16.00 extra charge on our UPS bill back from Ebay.

We do know other sellers who faced  the same issue and Ebay customer support UPS dispute department  responded to reference the UPS surcharge page related to one of the following;

Please provide the member this link that explains why the additional handling charge was added.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/billing-payment/avoid-charges.page

https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/media/en_US/package-accessorial-pricing-preview.pdf

Additional Handling can apply whenever:

• An item is not fully encased in corrugated cardboard.
  • When a package weighs more than 50 pounds.
  • If the package's longest side is longer than 48 inches, or if its second longest side is greater than 30 inches long.
  • Any cylindrical-like item, such as a barrel, drum, pail, or tire, that is not fully encased in a corrugated cardboard shipping container.

Interestingly all of our examples would fall on point number 2 ( all weigh more than 50 pounds), and since it is exactly $16.00 for all examples, it would make sense it is a standard excess weight surcharge from UPS. We finally got a CS rep that understood what our issue was, replicated the issue on their end with a walkthrough with us, took a lot of notes and created an SR # on our behalf  ( we assume with all the details we covered on the hour long call but we can’t see the SR). They said they would reach out to Ebay UPS dispute reps on this. We do not have an answer yet, but suspect something like the surcharge response above.

This issue really needs to go to your technical support team to fix the calculator to recognize set fees for additional handling charges and show the true amount that will be billed to us. Weight and Size surcharges at a minimum should be fixed as these are easily identified based on the customer input to the calculator, whereas irregular shapes or non-corrugated boxes fall on the seller to accept surcharges later.

While we now know to “ADD $16.00 to the estimater if over 50 pounds”  it would be best to get accurate rates. It would also be better for the ebay community who may not know of the extra surcharges that are not being estimated at the time of shipment and are surprised later when billed.

It appears UPS is planning on April 11, 2021 to change the flat additional charges to a tier charge based on the zone, making this even more important to get accurate rates from the calculator for UPS up front.

_____

Message 11 of 71
latest reply

I have a question regarding the newly announced fees for coins and paper money for store sellers. The fees were listed this morning and all is good there.

But in all the listing promotions for store sellers including the free 500 auctions and 50,000 fixed price listing promotions ebay has always included coins and paper money in those categories.

Can you guys ask the managed payments team if coins and paper money will be included in those allotments in managed payments?

If you need to get back to me no problem. Thanks in advance!

-----

edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 12 of 71
latest reply

tyler@ebay  - just my weekly reminder, checking in on that issue with taxes being overcharged on batteries😊 

I think it's more important than ever to get some sort of resolution on this.  eBay just reported Q4 2020 earnings today and all of those overcharged fees were presumably counted in GMV. 😬

----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 13 of 71
latest reply

The Payments team has a bit of work to do informing sellers how the heck to use the 1099K recently released.  It seems they have spun some rules in how they calculate the 1099K that no other site does and most sellers wouldn't even consider reasonable.  

Now I'm sure they have their reasons for doing this but it is creating multiple ways for sellers having to keep their books in order to report their income properly if they sell on multiple sites or even use the auto downloads of information into a bookkeeping system.

Reconciling is being crippled for sellers because MP is not going by payment date but settlement date.  The two dates are rarely the same and when you cross months or years, it is an issue.

Most sellers would be counting the sale when the buyer submits payment.  Even Ebay has told us repeatedly that is when the sale happens.  But now there is an exception created by MP for how this is reported on the 1099K and that is a HUGE issue.  

My guess is this has something to do with the payment in the pending process.  It isn't real money in our MP account during this time until the payment clears.  So I can see why there is an issue, but we need a resolution to the differences here.  

What makes MP different than other sites in how they fill out a 1099K?

I know the Community team can't really address this, but it is a serious issue that needs immediate attention for the Payments team.  

_____

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 71
latest reply

Good afternoon eBay Support Team

Subject: eBay contributing to Tax Fraud

First pic below is from the IRS Schedule C form, Line 2 is where Sellers record refunds.  The government expects Retailers to record ALL sales regardless if they result in a return or not, THAT would be Line 1.

Our State requires the SAME Gross total Sales dollars for State Tax ID holders AND we have to report as often as quarterly.  So through the year I rely on the CSV file to total my Gross Sales for State reporting purposes.

1-SCHEDULE C.png

eBay's recent changes to the CSV Transaction reports are contributing to Tax Fraud by creating NEW transaction types like "Claim" and "Hold" classifications and taking those values OUT of the Order's Gross total ... these two classifications are in addition to the three we had last year "Order", "Refund", "Shipping label".  I had to change the "Hold" values to both Orders and Refunds to 1) satisfy the state's and ultimately the IRS requirement for Gross sales and 2) accurately reflect the sales that occurred.

However, in doing this the 1099k issued by eBay is NOT correct since it ONLY includes the Order amounts on the CSV and NOT the Hold amounts.

You CAN'T do what you are doing with Sales transactions because you are contributing to tax fraud.  Below is a screen shot from the CSV before I fixed it ... NOTE that you also have the dates ALL WRONG for Holds ... YOU show dates as close as same or one day when the FACTS are weeks in some cases where an item is shipped and then returned and THEN refunded.  This is really fraudulant information and you better get if fixed ASAP.

1-CSV 4Q20 FILE.png

_____ 
Edit: Reply to this thread can be found here

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 15 of 71
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: