cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Feb 27 from 1:00 pm PT - 2019 Early Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone! This week we announced our 2019 Early Seller Update and have set up a dedicated board here where staff will be answering questions throughout February 26th & 27th. Additionally, we will focus our Weekly Chat with The Community Team on Feb 27th at 1 PM PT on these announcements.

We look forward to hearing your feedback about the changes, new features, Seller Hub enhancements, and listing updates we're implementing. Looking forward to seeing you here!

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Community Chat, Feb 27 from 1:00 pm PT - 2019 Early Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hello Trinton,

Quoted from the '2019 Early Seller Update' page on the Seller Forum:

"Good 'Til Cancelled listings renew automatically every 30 days unless your item sells before that timeframe. We charge an insertion fee every 30-day period. Good 'Til Cancelled listings count toward your monthly zero insertion fee listings. Fee amounts are based on the terms in effect when the listing goes live and when it

renews."

1a) what decides the timing of 'when the listing goes live', to be precise? When it is submitted or when it is indexed or .... ?

1b) What decides the timing of when a listing renews, to be precise? When it is submitted or when it is indexed or .... ?

2) If a seller, with a store, wants to avoid all insertion fees, by utilizing the number of free insertions that come with a store subscription, it would mean a seller would have to end ALL of their applicable listings 7 times a year and restart them a day or two later, as there are seven (7) - 31 day months in a year.      Is this correct?

Hi @gracieallen01, happy to clarify. The listing goes live when you create the listing and submit it. The listing is renewed 30 days from the time you have submitted it. 

As for your second question, a member of our Community has done the calculations for when a seller may face insertion fees upon renewal related to GTC listings renewing every thirty days and free insertion fee credits being given monthly. I am sharing a screenshot below for your reference: 

good_til_cancelled_renewal_2_year.png

If a seller is concerned with fees from this occasional situation, they can simply list towards the center of the month and would not run into any renewal date vs. insertion fee credit date conflicts for at least 2 years. Since moving to a GTC model for all listings should contribute to higher conversion and thus higher sales, sellers may find that the increased revenue they receive within those two years will offset any possible insertion fees that are charged from time to time.

Message 16 of 85
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gracieallen01 wrote:

1a) what decides the timing of 'when the listing goes live', to be precise? When it is submitted or when it is indexed or .... ?

1b) What decides the timing of when a listing renews, to be precise? When it is submitted or when it is indexed or .... ?

2) If a seller, with a store, wants to avoid all insertion fees, by utilizing the number of free insertions that come with a store subscription, it would mean a seller would have to end ALL of their applicable listings 7 times a year and restart them a day or two later, as there are seven (7) - 31 day months in a year.      Is this correct?

1a - they are generally live shortly after submitting, but if you want to know the exact amount of time left, you can see it on the active listings page in seller hub in the 'time left' column.  Sorry this isn't more specific but if you mention what you are solving for, maybe we can help with that?

2 - GTC listings are generally 30 days, when the month has 31 days i don't think it will charge you twice.  We are double checking with developers and will come back if we get a different answer.   

Thanks!!

**Edit to note** Developers confirm that @Anonymous's response is the most accurate response, sorry for my confusion! 

Message 17 of 85
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Good afternoon eBay Support Team

Regarding the GTC Mandate: my vote is No.

Short of that, eBay should let Sellers “Opt” out of this new mandate if they so choose … which indirectly would tell eBay exactly what the eBay Seller Community thinks of this latest mandate.  It’s sort of a low cost way for eBay to take a vote.

Short of that, eBay should have a 3rd Party Neutral Polling firm conduct a survey of all Selling IDs on this and probably many other functions of the site to really get an honest idea of what the majority of Sellers think and more importantly desire as, and eBay puts it this way, we run OUR business.

This is appalling!

I won't ever dare to accept eBay promotions again (100 free listings, etc.), knowing that 30 days hence I will be CHARGED for renewing those same listings.

Sellers MUST be allowed to opt out of this change.

Message 18 of 85
latest reply

Since this update was called the Early Spring Update, when are we to expect the actual Spring Update?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 85
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

1a - they are generally live shortly after submitting, but if you want to know the exact amount of time left, you can see it on the active listings page in seller hub in the 'time left' column.  Sorry this isn't more specific but if you mention what you are solving for, maybe we can help with that?

2 - GTC listings are generally 30 days, when the month has 31 days i don't think it will charge you twice.  We are double checking with developers and will come back if we get a different answer.   

Thanks!!

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hello Trinton,

Quoted from the '2019 Early Seller Update' page on the Seller Forum:

"Good 'Til Cancelled listings renew automatically every 30 days unless your item sells before that timeframe. We charge an insertion fee every 30-day period. Good 'Til Cancelled listings count toward your monthly zero insertion fee listings. Fee amounts are based on the terms in effect when the listing goes live and when it

renews."

Message 20 of 85
latest reply

I am the seller who make a choice to list my multi variation fixed price listings for 7 days. That is why I am using anchor store with yearly subscription.

Knowing that I have a questions for ebay.

1. What is happening to prior announcements 60 days before major changes. Ebay is going to take away sellers ability to list items for less than indefinite term.

2. Will you allow sellers like me to terminate our yearly subscription without fee as we can't use that much listings anymore because of your change of listing terms. I can't use more then premium store allowance listings if you put a stop on 7 day listings.

Thank very much for listening to your sellers (partners as you used to say)

Message 21 of 85
latest reply

Any answer yet on post #41 from 6 weeks ago? I asked about it 5 weeks ago and was told you hadn't heard back yet.

It was about listing GTC on the app, and whether the 8 relistings were free or not.

I think it was tyler@ebay 

Message 22 of 85
latest reply

Since the 30 duration coupled with 31 day months seems to be such an issue, why not make GTC duration 31 days?

Message 23 of 85
latest reply

GTC listings are generally 30 days, when the month has 31 days i don't think it will charge you twice. We are double checking with developers and will come back if we get a different answer.

errrrr...........I think Trinton's answer immediately above yours is diametrically opposed to your answer??????

Message 24 of 85
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

I was having a conversation on another thread that I thought brought up some questions I had not previously considered in regards to being able to submit offers to some members that have me on their watch list or in their cart.  I'm posting this with the permission of the other poster.

@no_zero369 

@mam98031 wrote:

I understand why you do what you do and I do it as well.  However, I think this new tool is a fantastic addition for sellers.  It is a great tool to add to our small collection.  Very useful and hopefully it will also help some seller to increase their sales.

Hey mam98031, I hate to disagree with your learned opinion, but I have found this feature to be useless!  There are some key holes in the program:

• seller can not see who they sent an offer to and only sees a redacted version in their offers section AFTER they made the offer.
  • it would be useful to be able to tell if the "watcher" is a competitor or a real buyer so one doesn't waste time
  • one can use the feature and end up "locked out" of any further offers with a buyer because they blindly made too many offers already
  • I am guessing most watchers are not serious buyers, especially when I have a B/O component on the listing.

So unlike the GD program that I think is a win-win for sellers, this program was broken from the get-go!  I don't see how it will increase sales, unless a seller gets desperate and makes a fire-sale, low-ball offer.  But the same could be done by changing the listing price, now easily done through the Seller Hub!

Some sellers have had access to test this feature for some time and most have loved it and provided great feedback.  I recommend just giving it a try to see if it works for you or not!  Thanks!  

Message 25 of 85
latest reply

April.
Message 26 of 85
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I was having a conversation on another thread that I thought brought up some questions I had not previously considered in regards to being able to submit offers to some members that have me on their watch list or in their cart.  I'm posting this with the permission of the other poster.

@no_zero369 

@mam98031 wrote:

I understand why you do what you do and I do it as well.  However, I think this new tool is a fantastic addition for sellers.  It is a great tool to add to our small collection.  Very useful and hopefully it will also help some seller to increase their sales.

Hey mam98031, I hate to disagree with your learned opinion, but I have found this feature to be useless!  There are some key holes in the program:

• seller can not see who they sent an offer to and only sees a redacted version in their offers section AFTER they made the offer.
  • it would be useful to be able to tell if the "watcher" is a competitor or a real buyer so one doesn't waste time
  • one can use the feature and end up "locked out" of any further offers with a buyer because they blindly made too many offers already
  • I am guessing most watchers are not serious buyers, especially when I have a B/O component on the listing.

So unlike the GD program that I think is a win-win for sellers, this program was broken from the get-go!  I don't see how it will increase sales, unless a seller gets desperate and makes a fire-sale, low-ball offer.  But the same could be done by changing the listing price, now easily done through the Seller Hub!

Some sellers have had access to test this feature for some time and most have loved it and provided great feedback.  I recommend just giving it a try to see if it works for you or not!  Thanks!  

I think that is fantastic, however it still doesn't answer the questions or concerns stated.  They are legit questions and concerns.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 27 of 85
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

It won't work for me, period.
I list exactly as many items each month as I can list for free. 
At the end of 30 days, I want the listing to go away.
I may relist it later, but that should be my choice.
I don't want to be forced to continue to pay every 30 days for a listing I only intended to post once.

Message 28 of 85
latest reply

@Anonymous   wrote: If a seller is concerned with fees from this occasional situation, they can simply list towards the center of the month and would not run into any renewal date vs. insertion fee credit date conflicts for at least 2 years. Since moving to a GTC model for all listings should contribute to higher conversion and thus higher sales, sellers may find that the increased revenue they receive within those two years will offset any possible insertion fees that are charged from time to time.

Good afternoon Trinton, I saw this post, I don't agree with any of that statement regarding higher conversion rates with GTC listings until I can examine the data used to make that statement.  So much of that kind of a generalized statement is subjective and depends on the type of Seller polled and the type of items sold and used in the study.  The ONLY GTC listing I used in the last 3 years was by accident and I promptly deleted it yet there has been steady growth on several IDs without GTC.  This may come as a shock to eBay but Sellers actually know how to run businesses and sell stuff ... all kinds of stuff ... Give Sellers the Opt out option and eBay will quickly see how many Sellers want the making broad-brush decisions affecting their carefully crafted business ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 29 of 85
latest reply

Just some feedback. I am a 20 year seller on EBay, with feedback over 2000 and at 100%. Today I listed my first items on Mercari and Etsy and filled out an Amazon application. Why? The new unilateral decision to force all items to GTC. You tried this as a test a few months ago, and feedback on these threads was almost universally negative. This change adds to a few others in the last few months. These include forcing sellers who want a top rated plus discount to guarantee delivery, unilaterally increasing rates in books (about a third of my sales) to 12%, and allowing "I changed my mind" returns (which still count against our return rate).  It is said of facebook that users aren't customers. they're the product. For EBay, I now believe that sellers are the product.  I know that the feedback of one seller matters little to you, but I doubt that I'm alone.

Message 30 of 85
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: