cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Dec 12 from 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi eBay Community!

Join The Community Team here for our weekly chat here from 1-2 pm Pacific Time. We will be discussing general topics so please bring any buying or selling questions you have slight smile

Chat soon. 💬

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Community Chat, Dec 12 from 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

The thread is now open. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Recently there was a thread discussing a buyer that received an non payment strike on a listing they did not pay for.  The OP had some of life’s more challenging issues get in the way of paying for the item when they should have.  The buyer acknowledged that it was their fault and that the seller just did what they needed to do.  However the OP was wondering how much damage one non payment strike would do to their account.

Most assured them that they would be fine and one is not anything to cause their account any harm.  I suggested to the OP if it was of real concern to them to call Ebay and ask them to remove it.  It has been my experience that when a buyer does this and their account shows no signs that this is something normal for them to do, Ebay will easily remove the first unpaid strike.

Another poster stated that actually Ebay auto removes the first unpaid strike on a buyer’s account whether they request the removal or not.

I’m just seeking a little clarification on this please.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 43
latest reply

Hello Team Mates!

Would like to give a shout out to Gad Ganir from the eBay Structured Data group who joined the Product Catalog board.

Gad has been answering questions there and been quite helpful.

Members who have questions or issues regarding the product catalog or product reviews are encouraged to post on the Product Catalog board.

The link to the board can be found by clicking or holding your cursor over the word Discussions at the top of any community board page.  The link to the Product Catalog board is near the bottom of the Buying & Selling column.

Best wishes to all,

BJ

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Hello Team Mates!

Would like to give a shout out to Gad Ganir from the eBay Structured Data group who joined the Product Catalog board.

Gad has been answering questions there and been quite helpful.

Members who have questions or issues regarding the product catalog or product reviews are encouraged to post on the Product Catalog board.

The link to the board can be found by clicking or holding your cursor over the word Discussions at the top of any community board page.  The link to the Product Catalog board is near the bottom of the Buying & Selling column.

Best wishes to all,

BJ

Hi @b86fiero/BJ! 

That's so wonderful to hear! I appreciate you stopping by to share. I'll let Gad know that his efforts are appreciated by the Community. 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Where is everyone???  Is everyone out there doing their Holiday Shopping???  LOL

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Not sure if this can be answered here or maybe answered a long time ago and I can't find the info ....

Are products recalled by the manufacturer automatically deleted from the eBay catalog? 

Are listings for recalled products automatically deleted from the site?

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

Recently there was a thread discussing a buyer that received an non payment strike on a listing they did not pay for.  The OP had some of life’s more challenging issues get in the way of paying for the item when they should have.  The buyer acknowledged that it was their fault and that the seller just did what they needed to do.  However the OP was wondering how much damage one non payment strike would do to their account.

Most assured them that they would be fine and one is not anything to cause their account any harm.  I suggested to the OP if it was of real concern to them to call Ebay and ask them to remove it.  It has been my experience that when a buyer does this and their account shows no signs that this is something normal for them to do, Ebay will easily remove the first unpaid strike.

Another poster stated that actually Ebay auto removes the first unpaid strike on a buyer’s account whether they request the removal or not.

Hi @mam98031, happy to elaborate on the Unpaid Item strike appeal process. A buyer can actually appeal the strike from the resolution center or by using the Unpaid Item Appeal Form. Additional details are found in our Help Page on this topic, linked previously. Though I cannot comment on the frequency or criteria involved for us to remove a strike as a courtesy to a buyer, we do reserve the right to remove strikes in situations that are not outlined in the aforementioned Help Page.

Ultimately, we understand that there are valid reasons why a buyer would not pay for an item, mistakes happen, and sometimes life simply gets in the way. A negative impact (such as an account restriction) will only occur on the buyer's account when a pattern of bad behavior is identified. 

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

A "best practices" question. I don't get a lot of returns (knock wood) but just had a return request, which was automatically approved (I have 30 day, free return shipping). I've got no problem with that. But, before the auto approve, I would generally respond to the buyer, approving the return and apologizing for any problems, etc.

But now, the return is automatically approved, so there's no real need for me to contact the buyer.

Does eBay consider it good seller practice for the seller to contact the buyer anyway, or should I just let ebay handle it?
Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Hi @mam98031, happy to elaborate on the Unpaid Item strike appeal process. A buyer can actually appeal the strike from the resolution center or by using the Unpaid Item Appeal Form. Additional details are found in our Help Page on this topic, linked previously. Though I cannot comment on the frequency or criteria involved for us to remove a strike as a courtesy to a buyer, we do reserve the right to remove strikes in situations that are not outlined in the aforementioned Help Page.

Ultimately, we understand that there are valid reasons why a buyer would not pay for an item, mistakes happen, and sometimes life simply gets in the way. A negative impact (such as an account restriction) will only occur on the buyer's account when a pattern of bad behavior is identified. 

Thank you Trinton.  I thought that was the way it goes.  I too understand that sometimes life just gets in the way and a responsible person may find themselves in a position that is not normal for them as happened to the OP on the thread I was referring to.  Unfortunately bad things happen to good people sometimes and we need to remember that.

However I'm very glad to hear that there isn't an auto removal of an unpaid strike for simply because it is the first one a buyer may have received.  That to me could be problematic.  But calling in or the appeal process is certainly reasonable for all.

Thank you again.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

My  question is about returns.

If a buyer returns an item for a "remorse reason"

1. Is a seller allowed to hold back the original shipping charges?

2. How is the amount that is billed to the buyer for return shipping calculated?

3.Are there any buyer facing pages that inform the buyer what and how much they will get in a return?

In the return process (buyer side) Is there any way to inform the buyer of the exact amount to expect for a return?

For example, a buyer purchases an item for $200 plus $25 shiping/handling.  The buyer decides to return the item.  eBay charges the buyer $15 for return shipping. The seller withholds the original $25 shipping and the buyer is refunded $200.

Where in the process does the buyer get informed that they will only be entitled to the $200 and the overall cost of the return will be $40  (25 original shipping and 15  for return shipping)

It seems to me that the buyer should know up front (in the process) that they stand to be out $40 if they choose to return an item.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@b86fiero wrote:

Not sure of this can be answered here or maybe answered a long time ago and I can't find the info ....

Are products recalled by the manufacturer automatically deleted from the eBay catalog? 

Are listings for recalled products automatically deleted from the site?

Hi @b86fiero, items subject to a recall from the manufacturer or a government agency would be in violation of Product Safety Policy and we would work to get these items removed from the site. This would not necessarily remove the product from our catalog, as many recalls are temporary and the product may be available again in the future. We will address these on a case by case basis.

If you see any items that should be reviewed because of a relate recall you can report this directly from the listing by selecting Report Item link > Prohibited and restricted items > Other prohibited or restricted items > Recalled items. We'll be happy to review for appropriate action!

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

You can slow down this process if you go to your Site Preferences then to your Return Preferences and require that you issue a RMA number for all returns.

While the auto process would still happen, it would slow down a bit to notify you and allow you time to issue the RMA number before the return label is issued.  That gives you a window of opportunity to contact your buyer and extend your concern or any other information you deem fit.  Just remember you still need to issue the RMA number, but you can communicate first and then assign the RMA.  Once you assign the RMA, the return label will be issued by Ebay.

I do this so that I have a window in which I can do much as you previously described.  It works well for me.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
A "best practices" question. I don't get a lot of returns (knock wood) but just had a return request, which was automatically approved (I have 30 day, free return shipping). I've got no problem with that. But, before the auto approve, I would generally respond to the buyer, approving the return and apologizing for any problems, etc.

But now, the return is automatically approved, so there's no real need for me to contact the buyer.

Does eBay consider it good seller practice for the seller to contact the buyer anyway, or should I just let ebay handle it?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I don't think there's anything wrong with contacting a buyer to let them know that you saw their request and are expecting their return, so sorry it didn't work out for you (etc, etc). However, it's not something we would require, and our automated messaging should give the buyer all the information they need to know when it comest to the return. From my perspective I think it's a nice touch that would set you apart. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 43
latest reply

Sell your item form:

Really like the ability to choose to Promote the listing right from the SYI form.  Great idea!

I imagine the whole sales tax part of the form will change at some point to reflect the Supreme Court ruling regarding state's collecting sales tax on online sales.

Any idea when the listing form will change? 

Message 15 of 43
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: