cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please verify yourself? why?

within the last few days, I am constantly prompted to verify myself with the stupid captcha picture thing. I see this "test" several times a day whenever I log in or answer a message, create a listing or purchase something. It's getting old fast.

Any ideas of this new development? I am using an old Dell with XP, so I'm obsolete already but this constant verification process is a new, extra aggravating waste of time.

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: please verify yourself? why?

It's annoying to me as well.  An old friend of mine got his PayPal account hacked years ago and lost close to $10k.  Didn't think that was possible.  The bad guys are math/programmer savants and are writing some wicked smart AI algorithms.  It's a security arms race at this point. I suspect it's not going to get any better.  At least ebay is working on protecting us, no matter how annoying it is. In this case, it's not the player (ebay),  it's the game (cybersecurity). 

Message 16 of 83
latest reply

I have been suffering this on eBay UK for a few days but I was able to login to eBay .COM without any problems

Message 17 of 83
latest reply

Policy says nothing about this issue.
Message 18 of 83
latest reply

Tried it all. Nothing works. This is awful. Also I have cleared browser etc. I have made sure browser is up to date. That Windows 10 is up to date. Antivirus up to date. I have tried on different browsers and 3 different devices, Desktop, laptop and mobile. All have same issue. My husband and son are having the same issue with their accounts. We have to verify with puzzle to log in and even to log out!!! I DO NOT want my account to stay logged in all the time. That is my choice. Seems like every company is trying to force us to stay logged in at all times and Ebay hopped on board with that. I personally feel that staying logged in at all times puts my account in jeopardy.
Message 19 of 83
latest reply

nc-daydreamer,

what does the policy link have to do with the poster's complaint ?

The checked stay signed in box does not work like it did a couple of months ago !

Many seller store buttons are also not working such as print shipping label that I have to do at paypal because it seems like eBay's tech are from another planet...

Message 20 of 83
latest reply

I can't leave feedback because it is verify, verify and so on and on and on.

Message 21 of 83
latest reply

I have a Solution and some answers.

All other Solutions given are nonsense.

You should NEVER ''have to'' , visit another link to go to any page you want.

I have been dealing with this on Firefox for months on end. I would not have to try and ''verify'' myself (ridiculous) once when going to eBay, then again at the login screen. I figured out a Temporary workaround until I could look into this further because I could not even see the Captchas. Firefox has included ''Browser Fingerprinting Protection'' that does not even really work. On top of that they have also ''disallowed'' Java Plugins, this is why some people can't even see the Puzzle. I'll offer my Solution to that as well - but to STOP this madness Step 1: Type about:config into the address bar, press ''accept the risk to continue" (it's normal people go in all the time to alter settings. I also reccomend you Bookmark this page BTW in case you ever for some reason chose to switch the following option back. Step 2: Type privacy.resistFingerprinting into the search bar in about:config (not the address bar). Step 3: Put the mouse over privacy.resistFingerprinting it should be in BOLD, and set to ''true'', double tap it to set it to false. Done. RESTART THE BROWSER and that's it.

Note.

You may have to ''Clear Cookies / Browsing History'' for you to Login normally. As of Firefox 72.0 this is Tested and working.

Be careful of too many ad blockers, cookie deleters etc. If you have them disable them on eBay if necessary, but you should not have too. I thought those Firefox addons were the problem, it's not it's Firefox.

As far as not seeing Captchas goes - if you don't want to try the ''about:config" fix - which is a complete fix.

Do this for a partial fix. When a Puzzle comes up for you to Solve... in order for you to ''verify'' yourself, hit the Icon that next to the lock in the address bar that looks like a Puzzle/Lego piece. A dialog box surfaces from that area - allow HTML.5 (please remember decision) or not accept.

The problem is although if you refresh your Browser tab on the Verify page and see the Puzzle to solve - that even if you tick the remember this option it will not remember this and always ask. And more notably so if you clean / clear your Browsing History regularly.

Shame on Firefox for fake protecting anyone at all, and eBay which is the only site ou t of 1,000's of websites this even ever happens on.

Good luck.

Message 22 of 83
latest reply

Putting a link to the Policy  does NOT fix the issues customers of Ebay are having TRYING to use your platform. 

Message 23 of 83
latest reply

My entire life is now blocked with moving chess pieces, or, finding crosswalks, fire hydrants, bicycles, cars, buses, palm trees, mountains, and bridges ..... before I do anything else like book a hotel reservation (which I must do quickly only to waste my time with this Sesame Street trash), log into eBay to sell and make cash, transfer cash inside PayPal, check airline reservations and accounts, etc., etc., etc.

I really think Google started this **bleep** so that they could do mind-control and hypnotism, I think they should be raided (which would have to go through a reCaptcha before going through the front door).

Message 24 of 83
latest reply

First step, never ask why.  Second step, if using Safari, open Preferences/content blockers and turn anything eBay to OFF.

Message 25 of 83
latest reply

You're pretty much on the money when you blame Google. It's helping them train and fine tune their AI software. And Google isn't paying a penny for your time.

"At some point last year, Google’s constant requests to prove I’m human began to feel increasingly aggressive. More and more, the simple, slightly too-cute button saying “I’m not a robot” was followed by demands to prove it — by selecting all the traffic lights, crosswalks, and storefronts in an image grid. Soon the traffic lights were buried in distant foliage, the crosswalks warped and half around a corner, the storefront signage blurry and in Korean. There’s something uniquely dispiriting about being asked to identify a fire hydrant and struggling at it."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/1/18205610/google-captcha-ai-robot-human-difficult-artificial-intell...

Message 26 of 83
latest reply

Do you have a solution to this problem? Neither my wife nor I can sign in to ebay. This has never happened in my 20 years or so with ebay. I was just signed on to ebay hours ago. And now I can't sign in. If you're an Expert with over a decade of experience, have you ever seen this problem before, but even more so, do you have a solution?
Message 27 of 83
latest reply

It is not a problem to me that Firefox protects me and I have not found it to be fake protection at all.
Message 28 of 83
latest reply

Firefox is not fake protection. It is real. I refuse to go to an older, possibly unsafe, link to sign in.

Message 29 of 83
latest reply

There is no mind control. The same thing happens whether you are using Google or something else.

Message 30 of 83
latest reply