cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another Sales Tax bug - eBay Overcharging and Applying Marketplace Tax Where They Shouldn't

eBay should not be applying marketplace tax to sales made by sellers in Illinois and shipped to Illinois.   This is normal sales tax at normal sales tax rates and not subject to marketplace facilitator rules.

Persons making sales to Illinois purchasers that are subject to Illinois Retailers' Occupation Tax (sales tax) are not considered to be "marketplace sellers" and are not subject to the provisions of 86 Ill. Adm. Code 150.804.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/legalinformation/EmergencyRules/MarketplaceFacilitator/Pages/...

The Illinois Use Tax Rate is 6.25%, eBay is charging 10%. 

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/questionsandanswers/Pages/135.aspx

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Yet another Sales Tax bug - eBay Overcharging and Applying Marketplace Tax Where They Shouldn't

@salebolt 

The line you cite indicates that the person making the sale is not responsible for collecting taxes in Illinois.  If you read further, you will notice that the marketplace facilitator (in this case, eBay) is responsible to collect and remit those taxes.

From the same link you cite:

"A marketplace facilitator must register to collect and remit Illinois Use Tax to the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR)."

In terms of tax rate, keep in mind that Illinois requires tax to be paid on shipping as well as the item itself so long as the item is taxable.

https://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-on-shipping-illinois/

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Re: Yet another Sales Tax bug - eBay Overcharging and Applying Marketplace Tax Where They Shouldn't

eBay is the market place facilitator.  According to this page, they started collecting (and remitting) Illinois sales tax on January 1. eBay will also include local tax rates that are added to the state-level charges, and if the buyer's ZIP Code doesn't include the whole "ZIP Plus 4" number, then eBy apparently charges the state maximum.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section4

https://www.avalara.com/taxrates/en/state-rates/illinois.html

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

The line you cite indicates that the person making the sale is not responsible for collecting taxes in Illinois.  If you read further, you will notice that the marketplace facilitator (in this case, eBay) is responsible to collect and remit those taxes.

In fact it says the opposite.  "Persons making sales to Illinois purchasers that are subject to Illinois Retailers' Occupation Tax (sales tax) " means normal registered retailers who collect tax themselves.   We are not subject to marketplace taxes because of this.  In these cases, the marketplace facilitator should not collect in-state tax themselves.  This is the way that Amazon and other markets do it.  Use tax applies to out of state sales, not in-state sales.  The tax eBay collects is a use tax.  

Whoever put eBay's system together needs to hire some qualified people.   They're also forcing the marketplace taxes thru sellers's accounts, which is not how the law is written.  The side effect of this is that ebay sellers are incurring payment processing fees on the sales tax (paypal fees).   If the marketplace facilitator processed the tax payment separately like they are supposed to, it wouldn't be included in the payment total at PayPal.  The amount is small, but it's the principle, and it could add up for large sellers and high ticket sellers.

In terms of tax rate, keep in mind that Illinois requires tax to be paid on shipping as well as the item itself so long as the item is taxable.

Again, not true.  The article you cited is also very clear about that.  Certain conditions need be met, in particular, if a buyer opts for a shipping rate, shipping is not taxable.   For free shipping and fixed rate shipping bundled into a price, it is taxable.   For what the article claims, all eBay orders are charge shipping on a separate line unless the order is free shipping.  That rule change by IL was confusing for everyone and there are even reports of legal trolls turning in large business that are not taxing shipping, to get tax whistleblower rewards.

if the buyer's ZIP Code doesn't include the whole "ZIP Plus 4" number, then eBy apparently charges the state maximum.

But the point is they shouldn't be charging it at all.  If they were supposed to be charging it (in Illinois), it should be based on the seller's tax table/location, not the buyer's location.   IL charges sales tax based on the point of sale, which is typical.  Shipments from IL to IL are taxed based on the seller's location (origin-based state), so the in-state buyer's location is irrelevant.   For use tax, the buyer's zip make sense, but use tax doesn't apply to in-state shipments.

They should also be charging the Use Tax rate on out of state purchases, not the Sales Tax rate.  My understanding is the Home Rule Use Tax rates are not established, the state uses the 6.25% rate statewide, and there may be legal issues related to localities charging additional tax.  This may vary in Chicago and other cities now or in the future.  Our Sales Tax rate as of today is 7%, Use Tax is 6.25%.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/individuals/Pages/faqs-use-tax.aspx

To correct my original post, it looks like they are charging 8.1% (not 10%).  That's charged on the item+shipping-handling.  6.99+2.75+.30 with tax at .78   So I think they are charging 8% on 6.99+2.75.  The rates in the buyer's zip are 8.1% and 9.1% and the buyer did provide a zip+4.    This could be the eBay rounding error that I reported in another thread.  8.1% would be .78894 and should be rounding up, but this could be eBay rounding down.

The tax doesn't match our rate, the state max, or the state use tax rate.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

So are you going to throw a tea party?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

So are you going to throw a tea party?

If I knew where they kept the tea.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@salebolt wrote:

tyler@ebay 

brian.t@ebay 

Hi @salebolt, eBay is responsible for collection and remittance of sales tax in the state of Illinois as of January 1, 2020. This would be solely based on the location of the buyer, and the seller's location would not be a factor in regards to our marketplace responsibilities. If a buyer is concerned that the tax rate they were assessed was incorrect, they can contact Customer Service and we can review for credits or corrections to our calculations. 

At this time, if a buyer's address only has their 5 digit zip and not the additional +4, there may be some locations where we have to default to more general tax calculations for their state, which could be higher than the specific tax for their city/county. Until enhancements are put into place for our tax calculations, a buyer can address this by including the full 9 digits of their zip code for future purchases. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@salebolt wrote:

tyler@ebay 

brian.t@ebay 

Hi @salebolt, eBay is responsible for collection and remittance of sales tax in the state of Illinois as of January 1, 2020. This would be solely based on the location of the buyer, and the seller's location would not be a factor in regards to our marketplace responsibilities. If a buyer is concerned that the tax rate they were assessed was incorrect, they can contact Customer Service and we can review for credits or corrections to our calculations. 

trinton@ebay

I'm aware that you believe that.  However, eBay is not responsible for collecting tax on behalf of registered Illinois retailers for sales in Illinois.  

As I already mentioned, eBay is also NOT responsible for collecting Sales Tax in Illinois.  You are responsible for collecting Use Tax, which has different rates.  (second quote below)

This page will confirm what I am saying:

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/legalinformation/EmergencyRules/MarketplaceFacilitator/Pages/default.aspx

marketplace facilitators that meet either threshold, as detailed below, are required to register to collect and remit Illinois Use Tax for sales made through their marketplace.

Persons making sales to Illinois purchasers that are subject to Illinois Retailers' Occupation Tax (sales tax) are not considered to be "marketplace sellers" and are not subject to the provisions of 86 Ill. Adm. Code 150.804.

Your implementation was done incorrectly and is different that other marketplaces who collect Sales Tax and pass it thru to the retailers for sales shipped to Illinois from inside Illinois, and collect Use Tax and remit it directly for sales shipped to Illinois from outside Illinois.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@salebolt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@salebolt wrote:

tyler@ebay 

brian.t@ebay 

trinton@ebay

I'm aware that you believe that.  However, eBay is not responsible for collecting tax on behalf of registered Illinois retailers for sales in Illinois.  

As I already mentioned, eBay is also NOT responsible for collecting Sales Tax in Illinois.  You are responsible for collecting Use Tax, which has different rates.  (second quote below)

This page will confirm what I am saying:

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/legalinformation/EmergencyRules/MarketplaceFacilitator/Pages/default.aspx

marketplace facilitators that meet either threshold, as detailed below, are required to register to collect and remit Illinois Use Tax for sales made through their marketplace.

Your implementation was done incorrectly and is different that other marketplaces who collect Sales Tax and pass it thru to the retailers for sales shipped to Illinois from inside Illinois, and collect Use Tax and remit it directly for sales shipped to Illinois from outside Illinois.

Hi @salebolt, eBay has a tax responsibility for purchases made by buyers located in Illinois and if you or your buyer feel there is a discrepancy in the rate being charged, contacting Customer Service is the appropriate next step as indicated in my previous response. If you have any other questions about your tax responsibilities, I strongly encourage you to contact a tax professional in your area. 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

As indicated by the original poster, eBay and Amazon are both doing this incorrectly for IL Based sellers.  According to the IL DOR, the seller is FULLY responsible for collecting and remitting ROT.  In these situations, the marketplace facilitor has no authority to collect or remit IL Use Tax.   What is being done by eBay right now is putting such sellers in a serious bind.  Please see the linked compliance alert from Illinois which highlights the problem.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/publications/compliancealerts/Documents/CA%202020-3.pdf

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@trainsets wrote:

As indicated by the original poster, eBay and Amazon are both doing this incorrectly for IL Based sellers. 

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/publications/compliancealerts/Documents/CA%202020-3.pdf

Thanks for the backup.  I'm glad to see movement on this.  I don't have the time to try to get thru to eBay support, while they play their denial games.

That notice clarifies the immunity clause in their other publications, which refers to Use Tax instead of Retailer Tax. 

marketplace seller shall be held harmless for liability for the collection and remittance of Illinois Use Tax when a marketplace facilitator fails to correctly collect and remit tax after having been provided with information by a marketplace seller to correctly collect and remit tax.

http://archive.is/AmBUA

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I've contacted eBay customer service and they are refusing to resolve this issue, saying that they are complying with IL.   Clearly they are not.

Their customer service people are clearly confused by the difference between Sales Tax charged to my purchases and Sales Tax charged to my buyers.  So I have to keep resubmitting on the ticket  and they just keep dumping irrelevant help text back to me.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Yes, I've been in direct contact with the IL DOR and they confirmed that eBay is NOT doing this properly for IL based sellers.  They should NOT be remitting to the IL any sales/use tax on our orders.  Instead, they should be collecting and transmitting these funds to us.  Because they are not doing it properly, we are having to remit IL Sales Tax on these sales out of our own pocket.  IL is receiving double tax (the ROT we are remitting and the UT eBay is remitting).  IL DOR said that eBay should reimburse us for what we've now remitted out of pocket (both January and February).  This needs to be resolved ASAP as we losing 7% (our local Sales Tax Rate) of our revenue on all IL sales. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trainsets wrote:

Yes, I've been in direct contact with the IL DOR and they confirmed that eBay is NOT doing this properly for IL based sellers.  They should NOT be remitting to the IL any sales/use tax on our orders.  Instead, they should be collecting and transmitting these funds to us.  Because they are not doing it properly, we are having to remit IL Sales Tax on these sales out of our own pocket.  IL is receiving double tax (the ROT we are remitting and the UT eBay is remitting).  IL DOR said that eBay should reimburse us for what we've now remitted out of pocket (both January and February).  This needs to be resolved ASAP as we losing 7% (our local Sales Tax Rate) of our revenue on all IL sales. 

Hi @trainsets, our tax teams are also in direct communication with the various states to ensure we are complying with our tax responsibilities and we've confirmed that we are appropriately collecting sales tax for IL. If there is a concern with a specific transaction/item, you are welcome to contact Customer Service to have this reviewed for potential corrections.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply