cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED** Malware - hit 3 times from ebay seller page.

I'm posting this here because I cannot find any way to actually contact ebay. The problem: there is some malware being generated by some of their ads that create a pop-up screen saying "YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED". It makes it look like it is coming from Micorsoft and gives you a number to call to "fix" the problem. If you try to close it out, a voice comes over your speakers saying "Your computer has been blocked." You can get rid of it by just closing out the tab or browser, but I am afraid there are people that will fall for the ploy and actually call the number. Can someone, somewhere, please tell the technical folks at ebay that some of their ads are infected with malware? I don't know how to do it.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@tbone5060 

eBay continually updates these pages. Try signing off of eBay, clear your browser cache, delete cookies for your browser. Turn off the add blocker. Sign back on. Are you still having the same issue?

If not, turn ad blocker back on. Still?

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

My computer guy said to upgrade malwarebytes to the premium version. The free one can scan the computer and find the problem and get rid of it. But the upgrade doesn’t allow it in in the first place. I’d had to shut down and change user after hitting control alt delete. Then I could shut down and get rid of the screaming voice and frozen computer and continue using it without a problem. However now eBay is blocked because of the problems with the site. Saturday and can’t check with computer guy. Anyone know?

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I use Pale Moon with ublock origin and noscript.

I havent seen an ad in years.

I also use Ccleaner every time I close my browser.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

This is the first time I have sent a message on the community board and I am not sure how to create a new post, so I'm responding to the previous post because it is about the exact issue I want to report.   This is the third time I have received a notice (within last year) that my computer is infected right after clicking on the Ebay website on the Google page.  I have Malwarebytes Premium, and when I ran a scan it says my computer is clean.  It didn't, however, stop the pop up message.  Also, the message sent a link to my reading list on the left side of the web page.  The instructions tell me to call an 888 number and get help from Apple, but of course it is not related to Apple.  I have never had this happen with any other website I access and I am on my computer all day almost every day.  This is mainly FYI.  If there is any helpful info. that hasn't already been provided I am grateful to see the advice.  I do have a screen shot I'm attaching.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

>>my computer is infected right after clicking on the Ebay website on the Google page.

Are you 100% certain that the link you are clicking on the google results page is ACTUALLY a link to eBay, and not to a malware site?

There is no guarantee that any link you click on a google page leads where it appears to. Miscreants spends lots of time and effort trying to get search results that point to their spoofed sites or popups like that up on top of the google search results to be clicked by those not being careful. Even sponsored google ads can be not what they seem.

And none of that is an eBay problem - it's a google lack of policing problem

Does the same issue occur when you type in ebay.com and go to the site directly?

Copy one of the links you click in google results that causes that, paste it here in a reply, and it can be looked at (right click on the google link and select "copy link" or "copy link location" or whatever it is in your browser. It has to be the link target - not the visible link text in the google results)
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

I've faced recently with a similar problem, now start to use Adlock not only for Ebay but for protecting my browser from Malware and unwanted types of ads. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply