cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting a combined shipping charge missing

I'm trying to set up a combined shipping charge for a listing. The instuctions are here.  https://pages.ebay.com/ai/en-us/CombinedShipping/

I want to do example #1 under Calculated shipping "Charge my highest shipping cost for the heaviest item, and charge $X shipping for each additional item"

Now I had to call ebay and they did spend some time on this. When they went to the combined shipping rule setup where they told me is where you make this selection for example #1 they realized it was missing. So after that we got nowhere cause they could not figue out how to do example #1 in their own instructions. It came down to them just telling me to charge more for my items to cover the shipping cost. Very poor help on something thats should be a very easy fix.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The help pages are generally pretty awful, and many appear to have been written by non-English-as-a-first-language speakers.

One thing to keep in mind is that the combined shipping rules DO view the weight of the heaviest item as the main weight, and then all other items are additional items.

I don't think it's possible to do what you want, since there are no calculated rule options other than don't either combine all weights or not combine weights at all. (there is no "ignore all additional item weights" option)

You might be able to create a "combine weights and subtract N ounces for each additional" rule for a specific item where weights are combined, but weight of each additional item after the first is subtracted, and an $X per item handling fee is added, but that has problems.

That flow is like this:
select "Combine all item weights and subtract an amount" and for each additional subtract N ounces (where N=item weight). Then on the next page of the dialog, "Specify a handling cost for each additional item" and then "Add $X handling for each additional item"

Main problem is that the rule would be specific to a particular item with a specific rule profile defined for each item and its weight. (and when I tested things out, either the rule itself was ignored completely or the handling fee part was ignored, and all I saw was shipping amounts for straight combined weight - didn't test enough to determine exact failure mode).
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Yes I was exsperimenting with that but what happened was it still just doubled the shipping . IE If the first plate cost $8.00 to ship I would put in to subtract the total weight of  the additional item and then add $5. handleing fee for each item.  So then I would have to list the item and have someone pick three items and it would just triple the $8.00 to $24.00 when it should have been $18. Then I would have to end the item cause you cannot check shipping with ebay's preview.  I'm not sure why they just seem to refuse to fix the problem and make it like they have it written it their own instructions.  One of their responses to me was to just reimburse the person for the overpayment, thats fine but the majority of buyers just don't want to pay too much in  the hope they get their money back so they do not go through with the purchase.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply