cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer expire less than 48 hours

I placed an auction about 5 pm MST and had offers enabled. Later I received an offer. Later I noticed it said offer expires 7 hrs xx mins.  This offer almost expired this morning, ~ 6 am,  12 hours after receiving. What happened to the 48 hours? I felt rushed into decision because half the time was spent sleeping!!! Good thing I wake up early fo work or I would have missed altogether. Placed Sunday July 29

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I am running into the same issue. I find it very frustrating.

I haven't experienced it from the buyers perspective, just the seller's side.

At first I was getting a mix of 12 hour and 48 hour offers, now I only get 12 hour offers.  The majority come in at odd hours, so I really don't have 12 hours to decide. I have to either decide very late in the evening or very early in the morning. If they're going to have 12 hour offers, they need to limit when that option is available so we don't lose the majority of that time to sleeping hours.

I feel like I'm being rushed to make a decision.  It isn't right to put sellers under pressure to make a snap decision because the 12 hour offer that was made is running down in just a couple of hours  from when they first received it.  I check my account throughout the day, but that doesn't always help to catch the offers.  Sometimes I have enough time to check if I have any sells, but won't have time to handle it until later in the day. The 12 hour offers are kind of demanding that you respond right away.

The 12 hour offer doesn't take into account that we're all busy people. We have other commitments.  Though I check my account a few times a day, I can't always catch the offers made at late hours until the next day.

I had one 12 hour offer a couple months ago that had completely expired before I even got the message. I had to message the buyer and ask them to resubmit the offer. They did and I accepted.  I shouldn't have to bother the buyer and ask them to resubmit offers. The offers should last long enough that the buyer can make it, go about their day, and not have to resubmit it.

Frankly, I'm more likely to turn down an offer, than be forced to make a decision on a lower offer in only hours.  I like to have time to consider it.

The offers need to be for at least 24 hours.  I understand that buyers may look elsewhere if they don't receive any kind of response for 48 hours, but 12 hours is way too short. Maybe they should offer 24, 36, and 48 hour options, reserving 12 hours for only those listings that are expiring in 24 hours or less. I feel like if the buyer is genuinely interested in my item for their offered price, they will give me at least 24 hours to get back to them. 

I hope ebay fixes this soon and brings back the longer offer times. These 12 hour offers are just too short and put too much pressure on the sellers.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

>>I hope ebay fixes this soon and brings back the longer offer times.

There is nothing to "fix". It isn't a software bug but is by design.

As nobody*s_perfect explained in post#12 it is an intentional move by eBay, and unless there is a massive uproar (which is unlikely), eBay will do whatever the want regarding the test after they "analyze" the resulting data.

If you dislike the 12 hour best offer duration as much as you seem to, then tell eBay tour feelings via social media as much as possible grin
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Don't like the default of 12hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a physical job...
Not at a "computor" like a desk job. (reference, Star Trek, Scotty)
I think it should be reversed. Default=48hrs, choice of ........hrs.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

As a buyer this is a good thing, being locked in on an item you may not get anyway (a lot of sellers never reply to offers). I'm not quite sure why you think you need 48 hours to decide, do you not have a minimum price in mind when you list? Say after 48 hours you decline, how many items has the potential buyer missed out on because you needed 2 days to think?
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here

Thanks.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply