cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images in listings not fully showing. Only upper half which is shifted down. Not consistant.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Images in listings not fully showing. Only upper half which is shifted down. Not consistant.

Same situation here.  The pictures on my pc on Firefox and on Edge show the thumbnails on the side and I see the full main pic.  It's only on my ipad that I see the problem.

Message 31 of 52
latest reply

Re: Images in listings not fully showing. Only upper half which is shifted down. Not consistant.

When you use the zoom feature does the full picture show or just half? I see the full picture with zoom.

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

@shipscript 

Do you know if the problem has been reported?

I know that I haven't talked to cs about it as I was hoping it would be fixed by now.

Message 33 of 52
latest reply

If I click on the picture to zoom the whole photo shows. 

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

Just to let everyone know I started a thread for this same problem on the .ca forum board and it appears others are having this problem as well. Main listing picture cut in half when viewed on all listings until you tap on the halved picture which then goes to full screen picture no problem. You can scroll through all the listings by list view or gallery view and see all the pictures on the listings fine but if you click on a listing the listing picture now views as being cut in half horizontally. No fix found as of yet

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

Yes, it was reported this morning, and staff was able to replicate the problem. So has been sent to the techs.

@knnjamison 

Thank you for pointing out the single photo difference. I tried a few listings with only a single photo and did not see the issue with either method. Since there were no thumbnails, the only way to tell the mobile view (left) from the desktop view (right) is that the mobile view has larger radius corners around the image, along with being a smaller presentation.

There was no zoom on the mobile view, but I could click to open an overlay; whereas, there is a mouseover zoom for the desktop (right).

shipscript_0-1678148135332.png

While testing a fully square photo with thumbnails, in mobile view on one tab, and in desktop view in another tab, something strange happened. The desktop view appeared in the mobile tab and the mobile view appeared in the desktop tab. So the appearance of one version or the other may be random.

In the mobile view that appeared in my desktop tab, we can see that the 300x300 square image is presented in a 300x160 holder.  Zoom is available in that instance (below), although with limited range; whereas the zoom was not available to the desktop view in my mobile tab (since a mobile device does not have mouseover, that limitation may have been an artifact of the mobile tab).

shipscript_1-1678149324306.png

I generally know how the photo clipping occurs because I've had to deal with the problem myself when programming photo galleries. The vertical alignment is based on the height of the image, but if the height is measured before the image can load, then the height is zero (or one character tall), depending on the height of the alt text; so the space and offsets allotted to that photo come out too small.  It would appear that eBay is shrinking the display box vertically (either by accident or to fit it to a smaller photo and take up less room on mobile), and that shrunken holder is part of the display problem, as the photo starts at the correct top offset, but is clipped at the bottom.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 36 of 52
latest reply

@shipscript 

Thank you for taking the time to explain what is going on. Do you think eBay did this intentionally? I can’t imagine how it would benefit them except less data usage on their end. But there is no way it can help generate more sales. 

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

@knnjamison wrote:

@shipscript 

Thank you for taking the time to explain what is going on. Do you think eBay did this intentionally? I can’t imagine how it would benefit them except less data usage on their end. But there is no way it can help generate more sales. 

The clipped image is a bug in the CSS display mode (a programming oversight), and has nothing to do with data usage. Of course, they have intentionally made the photo presentation smaller so that it will fit on a smaller screen. I can't tell if they intentionally tried to shrink the holder to fit the image that had not yet loaded, but I think not — that wouldn't make sense because not every image in the gallery is the same shape and it would be too much work (and a visual nightmare) to make the holder into a dynamic shape-shifter.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 38 of 52
latest reply

Listing pictures not displaying properly on my iPhone. Microsoft Edge has no problem.

Message 39 of 52
latest reply

@beautifuljewelrynyc 

Are you using the phone's browser, or the eBay App?

Is the display problem that the picture is cut in half?

Message 40 of 52
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

Someone reporting a similar sounding issue using Safari:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Listing-thumbnail-photo-cut-off-in-Safari/m-p/33599472#M3...

Yes you are right. I agree with you.

Message 41 of 52
latest reply

I am using the phone's browser/eBay website, not eBay App. Yes, the picture is cut in half.

Message 42 of 52
latest reply

As other member is claiming, mine were too small which shows the 1/2 size of the real pictures.

My most pictures are like 600 X 600 and those were shown correctly in the past until eBay changed some platform.

Other member suggest as I have to upload at least 1000 x 1000 if you want to show the right image size, means I have to remake the all pictures for more than 1000 X 1000 for the all items.  It's too much work.

I use Mac Ventura 13.2.1 and the most current Fire fox and Safari version.

Message 43 of 52
latest reply

I've never had a problem before, been doing the same picture taking and uploading for a long time.  I don't know what changed but pictures aren't appearing correctly for me either. 

Message 44 of 52
latest reply

Happening all over, I just talked to a couple ebay sellers and they are also having the same issue, all 3 laptops and 2 desktops of mine, phone pictures ok. 

Message 45 of 52
latest reply