cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to keep verifying my account with pictures everytime I do anything (site says occassinally)

Whether I'm just browsing, listing or buying on ebay lately I have to keep verifying I am human by clicking cars, or trains, or motorbuses, etc.  It used to not be this way, just once in a while.  Now its every time.   Is there a setting that can stop this?  Thank you for any advice to end this craziness. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Having to keep verifying my account with pictures everytime I do anything (site says occassinally)

P. S. I am running the latest version of Firefox. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Continuous verification requests might be a sign of a problem with your browser saving or retaining cookies. Make sure you browser is not set to erase cookies after each session, and make sure you are not using a cleaner program that periodically erases your cookies.

In some cases a blocked or corrupt cookie can be a problem, so it might be worthwhile to manually erase your ebay.com cookies once to start with a clean slate.

Some browsers are better than others when it comes to staying signed in; it might be worth trying a different browser to see if that makes any difference.

I use Firefox mostly, and typically I stay signed in to avoid having to go through verification. If you are a seller, you may encounter more verification tests for security reasons.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Its Driving me f****** mental

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

This is a sign of the times. Clicking pictures of trains, buses, horses etc etc does NOT verify the person is anything. All it does it show that the person knows what a train, bus or horse looks like. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with "security".  You have successfully identified and verified people who know what trains, buses and horses look like. Absolutely HILARIOUS!!!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You have successfully identified and verified people who know what trains, buses and horses look like.

That test is enough to prevent many simple automated scripts from, say, trying successive passwords to crack an account. Not many hackers are willing to make hundreds of manual password attempts if it requires going through Captcha each time; but if the task can be automated, testing the thousand most common passwords is quite easy.

Captcha prevents that sort of automated hacking and makes everyone's account more secure as a result.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply