cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent Forced Password Resets

Ebay has force-reset my password 9 times in the past 4 months. The boilerplate message implies that someone has been using my account, but oddly enough, I've never received an email informing me of a login attempt. How they are using my account -- in a way that utilizes my password -- without logging in is a mystery to me.

I use long, complex passwords, two-part authentication, and a VPN. I suspect that therein lies the problem. One day, I may be connecting through a server in one city, the next day, through another city. And my mobile does the same, so I could be connected through two different cities at the same time.

Having to reset my desktop password is not the aggravating part. But resetting my password on my mobile has the side effect of breaking notifications -- which is the main reason that I have Ebay on my mobile to begin with. Resetting notification parameters seems to have no effect. The passage of time seems to be curative, though. Restarting my mobile fixes it. Sometimes.

I just got force-reset again. It will now be days or weeks before I hear my next notification. Please, ebay, fix your process.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Frequent Forced Password Resets

Thank Your information

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I thought we were past this. But no, Ebay kicked me off and force-reset my password again on 3/17/2022 at 2:18 PM, locking me out. Again, my VPN was using a server in a city that I normally do not use. The "Reset my password" button was replaced with a "Contact support" button.

I called twice yesterday. Apparently calling twice caused me to be relegated to email-only support on a 24-hour response. The best part? At 4:20 this morning, they sent me an email ASKING ME TO LOGIN and to verify my identity. You can't make this stuff up.

It is now after 8:30 PM on 3/18 -- 30 hours later -- and they just gave me the ability to reset my password. This would have been so much easier on ALL of us if they had just contacted me and asked me to verify that it was me coming through that new city's VPN server, BEFORE they force-reset my password.

Again, I am begging ... Ebay, please fix your process.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I give. Ebay wins this one. After being locked out again today -- twice! -- I have whitelisted ebay.com in my VPN. I have voluntarily taken a step backward in my own security in order to conform to their policies. Hopefully this will stop the insanity.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

after logging in on my phone. i got locked out of ebay on my pc which ive been logged in on for years. i found a link to request loggin, then after i did reset, i was logged in in singapore. only noticed because no search results coming up, was i attacked, by some sort of hacker attack? someone fishing for my passwords?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

i found a link to request loggin, then after i did reset, i was logged in in singapore.

How did you find that link? Is it possible your search turned up a Singapore link?

Sign out of eBay Singapore and go to ebay.com instead.

https://www.ebay.com/

If you go to the main eBay page and navigate to one of your My eBay pages, eBay will ask for your credentials if you need to sign in.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have to agree.  Same story here with forced password resets every couple of days.  Between this and the captcha crap, it's absolutely maddening.  I too ultimately had to screw up my own security and whitelist the site in my VPN.  This is ridiculous.   There needs to be a configurable user option to accept responsibility for any perceived risk there might be and relax the "security" somewhat.  Something like " I use a vpn", "I use Paypal exclusively",  and " I know what a boat looks like".  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply