cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay error might cost us our Top-Rated Status

Ebay lists 7 of our items as "Uploaded on time but no carrier scan"

We checked several of these and they were uploaded and scanned on time and in full compliance with our 1-day handing time. One of these items was shipped LESS THAN 2 HOURS after payment!

An 8th item is listed as "Not uploaded at all" even though WE USE EBAY LABELS and this was also scanned on time.

Customer support is reporting this as an issue but they are unable to remove these obvious ebay mistakes. Instead we have to wait until we lose our top-rated status before they can do anything.

If we lose our top-rated status it could take days to get it back. All because ebay's own system isn’t working right.

1) Please fix the problem with incorrectly listing our items not being uploaded on time

2) Please set it up so customer service can delete obvious ebay errors like this.

3) Please find a way to delete these 8 items from our list

This is completely unfair.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Ebay error might cost us our Top-Rated Status

The reason for the post office delay is the scanning is not put into the system until much later in the day when all scanners are "docked" at one time. As far as I'm concerned it is just another lazy method employed.
Message 16 of 41
latest reply

Odd. In Tulsa and I thought,most US post offices, the carriers have been using handheld gps, rf transmitter scanners in the vans. Scan data is radio transmitted realtime to the P.O. or sort center with all the scan info, timestamp, and gps coordinates. On  a delivery to my residential mailbox, that info is uploaded by USPS to ebay and shows up as a DELIVERY email from ebay in my inbox within an hour.  The delivery emails are annoying. But, on bad weather days , I check my email before going to the mailbox. This has been true in my delivery area since early 2017 when the upgraded scan device was issued to the carriers.

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

They take breaks under my tree too.  The same rf device with label scanner and gps was used to indicate to the assigned post office of that intent and tracks the duration and coordinates of same. 

Per your statements quoted: “eBay doesn't count weekends for shipping, and IMO neither should buyers. Even sellers deserve a weekend, don't you think?”

“Why do you feel the sellers should focus on absolutely minimizing transit time, are your purchases so time critical?

I provide the following response......not necessarily a yes or no question, but: 1. if you can sell on Saturday, you need to ship on Saturday.  Take your weekend when you are not selling stuff.

2: Transit time?  When two like, same-condition items are listed from different merchants, I will always buy from the one who indicates more prompt delivery, even if his item is 20% higher priced. This to me indicates his/her greater willingness to "care" about individual sales and repeat customers, not just a quick $$.

I spent over 40 years in  a profession where the primary product was and remains "customer satisfaction" performed as close to perfection as possible.

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

Sincere question:

I am a very small seller. As soon as a buyer makes a purchase, I ackowledge this via mail and tell them it will be shipped the next day. The next day (morning) I go to the post office and pay for the shipping.  When I get home (could be a few hours) I then upload the tracking number. But the item is already on it's way.

In your opinion, is this a satifastactory way to do thinngs? I really want to know because I want to make buyers feel secure and happy, and don't want to fool with weighing items at home, using a LOT of printer ink to print everything out, etc.

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

I am a very small seller, and I do the same. This is not good, but THANK YOU for bringing it to my attention.

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

Dude you are obsessed.  If the seller meets or exceeds their commitment and you are not happy, it's on you for not having negotiated something different beforehand.  There are all kinds of sellers, all kinds of buyers, and all kinds of circumstances surrounding given purchases and the process for delivery.  One size does not fit all no matter what your personal preferences are.  More importantly, most no one else cares about the things you are griping over.  When they do, they have options.

And you seem to keep assuming that the front end process (package dropoff) uses the same technology and has the same operational imperatives as the back- end process (delivery).  That is clearly not the case for any courier I've ever observed.  Documentation of delivery is the common feature.  When up front timing is important, or time en route, there are options.  For standard services, it is clearly not and the processes reflect that.

I know you know all this, I just don't understand why you think there is some commitment or expectation to do it your way, when there clearly is not, because no one cares.

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@iart wrote:

We checked several of these and they were uploaded and scanned on time and in full compliance with our 1-day handing time. One of these items was shipped LESS THAN 2 HOURS after payment!

An 8th item is listed as "Not uploaded at all" even though WE USE EBAY LABELS and this was also scanned on time.

Customer support is reporting this as an issue but they are unable to remove these obvious ebay mistakes. Instead we have to wait until we lose our top-rated status before they can do anything.

If we lose our top-rated status it could take days to get it back. All because ebay's own system isn’t working right.

1) Please fix the problem with incorrectly listing our items not being uploaded on time

2) Please set it up so customer service can delete obvious ebay errors like this.

Hi @iart, while we aren't always able to proactively make adjustments to tracking uploaded and validated by a carrier issues, we are able to reinstate your account to Top Rated if it was lost due an eBay error. Be sure to contact Customer Service with any concerns you have if Top Rated is lost due to an eBay error and we can get this investigated for you, no problem. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 22 of 41
latest reply

I've had a similar experience, and while restoring Top Rated is something, it's still only a partial measure. The persistence of those errors in the record, which let's face it are typically a result of eBay's continued flawed implementation of it's shifting rules - how hard can this stuff be? - mean you lose the grace period concession.
Message 23 of 41
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@iart wrote:

Hi @iart, while we aren't always able to proactively make adjustments to tracking uploaded and validated by a carrier issues, we are able to reinstate your account to Top Rated if it was lost due an eBay error. Be sure to contact Customer Service with any concerns you have if Top Rated is lost due to an eBay error and we can get this investigated for you, no problem. 

brian@ebay

And why is it necessary for a seller to lose TRS before eBay will correct eBay errors.

I currently have one that is clearly an eBay error. Item purchased on a Saturday. Label printed later that day. Item shipped, and pickup acceptance by carried on Monday, as displayed on USPS.

At this point rather than it being corrected, I am relagated to sit, hope that I do not have a delay on my part, or another hiccup by eBay.

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@iart wrote:

brian@ebay

And why is it necessary for a seller to lose TRS before eBay will correct eBay errors.

I currently have one that is clearly an eBay error. Item purchased on a Saturday. Label printed later that day. Item shipped, and pickup acceptance by carried on Monday, as displayed on USPS.

At this point rather than it being corrected, I am relagated to sit, hope that I do not have a delay on my part, or another hiccup by eBay.

And to add to that I am still dealing with the "late shipping" ding for the March snowstorm in the Northeast when the PO was closed, and the carrier did not come out.

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@iart wrote:

brian@ebay

Hi @buyselljack2016, at this time it isn't possible for us to proactively adjust the tracking uploaded on time data, though this is being discussed for a possible future improvement. I'd like to get more details from you about your specific example. I'll send you an email shortly with more inforamtion so i can take a closer look at the shipping details.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 26 of 41
latest reply

@upthreads_3 You asked...in my opinion, you should buy your labels via eBay. They cost less - can be as much as 30%+ less! I save enough on postage with only a couple of sales to pay for an ink cartridge that lasts several weeks, and I print a lot of documents in addition to shipping labels. I buy genuine Epson cartridges on eBay for about $8 each. I highly recommend Epson printers, with individual color cartridges, plus they're little workhorses & inexpensive. Got my last one on sale at Target for about $50. Good digital scales are only about $25 - $30. Much less time spent standing at the USPS counter when you drop off packages for the scan & receipt. 

You not only save time & money, you are assured that the exact address is on the label. No chance that you'll transpose a number. Tracking is automatically uploaded when you purchase the label. 

As as far as phantom shipping, I do  pack & purchase labels for Friday & weekend orders on Saturday or Sunday. The label shows Monday's date. Any reasonable person who buys online from ANY site knows they get email confirmation when the label is printed, not when the truck is rolling with their package inside. And they also know the package isn't literally headed their way after supper time Saturday night... If they look at tracking info, it clearly states that billing information was received & USPS is awaiting the package. This isn't gaming the buyer in any way. 

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

brian.t@ebay

I appreciate that you took the time to look into this and comment.

But my question is: how quickly could the TRS be fixed? Would it wait an extra 30 days?

Losing TRS for a month could easily cost us a mortgage payment.

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

This reply was for @upthreads_3

To add to the other poster info about a scale.

I bought another digital scale a few months back as a backup for mine.

I usually do not bother with auction listings, but the seller was starting them very low with reasonable shipping.   It took a few auctions, but I was able to snipe one for less than $10 including.  Some went for twice that. It seems that it was a time of day, or day of week that made the difference.

It doesn't take long at all to make up the cost of the scale with the online postage discount savings.  Great to know the packed weight of an item before listing to provide an accurate cost.

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

@iart, sincere apologies for hijacking your thread for a minute to help @upthreads_3.

@upthreads_3! Girlfriend, get yourself a scale pronto! Even if you prefer to buy labels at the post office, you need a better idea of what your shipping costs will be.  Bookmark this page, and use it:

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Forget about printing your own labels for this example - I'm quoting the full price you'll pay at the USPS counter.  I have a coat almost identical to the wool Old Navy jacket you have listed. I tossed mine in a USPS Priority Mail Box 7 & weighed it. Shipping weight will be just over 3 pounds. You're only charging 6.80 for shipping. If I bought that coat, it'll cost you $9.90 to send it to me. You just lost $3.10 on shipping. Now, let's say I live in Seattle and buy your coat. If you sell the coat at full price, you'll collect $31.80, pay about $4.10 in fees, pay $18  to ship it. Your profit is only $9.70.  With calculated shipping (buyer pays actual shipping cost), using eBay labels, your profit would be about $19.77. 

You've paid for @buyselljack2016's $10 scale with just one transaction! You have some nice listings, and your customer service standards are excellent. Make a minor investment in good scales, weigh your items, make corrections to your shipping rates, and you'll clear a much more reasonable amount on your sales.  I wish you well!      ~dc

Message 30 of 41
latest reply