cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Descriptions disappear when listing new items

I spent up to 20 minutes writing a description..then when I scrolled the listing to double check everything, I came back and the description I wrote was gone, leaving only the title of the listing that eBay drops in as a default description. After a couple times I got smart and copied what I wrote, and every time I had to paste it back in before I clicked “list item”. I got 11 items listed, and checked them all…not a single description was there! I say things like “sorry, no international bidders” and “no best offers until item relists “, and they weren’t there, so I had 3 offers from China within the first 15 minutes of listing an item! I also describe defects and sizes of things…with those not there, someone can purchase, then get mad because they think I hid the flaw! I managed to go back and add shipping policies, but one item had a bid so I was not allowed to add anything. I’m using the same laptop, doing it the same way I have for years…what is the freakin’ problem?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

having same exact issue and can’t seem to get any help or understanding of what is happening. I am a casual seller on and off since early Ebay days and never had this problem. Just yesterday I am experiencing a continuation of my description dropped completely. Oh well. Figuring it’s a glitch in the system. TBD.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@clothier3   Sorry you are dealing with the disappearing  description issue.  I know many other sellers are having the same problem.   Are you using a listing the APP or Quick Listing Tool?   The Quick Listing Tool has the outline of shoes in the photo section.  

To fix your wanted bidder issue it's best to set up buyer preferences.  

There are two pages you need to use to set this up.

You can set up your shipping preferences and buyer requirements in account settings.

1. Exclude shipping locations https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf/excludeRegions

2. Block buyers whose primary shipping address is in a location I don't ship to AND block buyers with 2 or more unpaid in 12 months.
https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Then select the apply button.  It will not apply to listings that have bids or open offers.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@hsgardens    Sorry you are dealing with the disappearing  description issue.  I know many other sellers are having the same problem.   Are you using a listing the APP or Quick Listing Tool?   The Quick Listing Tool has the outline of shoes in the photo section.  

Trying to gather information so we can point eBay in the right direction to fix the problem.  

In the meantime you may wish to try the New Listing Tool, if you are not already using it. 

Look on the upper right of your draft ( not an active listing) on a PC for a gear or dots to see if you have the option to change listing tools.

OR

Sign up for Seller Hub while working from your computer to create your listing using the new listing tool.

To access Seller Hub:

1. Go to https://www.ebay.com/sh/landing

2. Click Start Using Seller Hub

3. Open your Draft here: https://www.ebay.com/sh/lst/drafts

4 To create a new listing go to your active listings page:

https://www.ebay.com/sh/lst/active and click the blue Create listing button near the top, right-hand side of the page.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@clothier3   @hsgardens   A few other suggestions...

There was a similar issue last year and some sellers were able to resolve the issue by disabling various add-ons including Ad Block, Duckduckgo, and a grammar-checking add-on called Language Tool. There may be other undocumented add-ons that may cause an issue when listing or editing listings as well. If  you use a spell checker add-on, try disabling that as well.  You could also try listing using another browser that has no add-ons installed.

Sometimes browser add-ons that worked fine with eBay before have an update that does not agree with the site. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I am having the same issue.  It seems it has started in this new year (2023).  Every time I write a new listing, as soon as I hit "List Item" the description I worked hard on disappears...  Only workaround right now is to copy it, hit "List Item" and then revise the listing again.  Super frustrating!

Actually the better workaround is to List it and then Revise it - adding the description...

*** Occasionally I have pasted the description when Revising the listing and it disappears again when I hit "List It"!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I am encountering the same issue today - THANKS EBAY FOR WASTING MY TIME. 

Perhaps it's time to jump ship for Mercari at last. With these outrageous selling fees, you're telling me you can't hire customer support and people who actually know how to code? 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I hasd the same problem last week when they did some changes. I called them.  They basically had no idea what I was talking about.  So today I've listed I think 5 items.  I started getting confident.  Then the last 2 .. long descriptions,  disappeared. 

Where do I send ebay an invoice for my time?   

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Hi, has anyone found a solution for this? It's so annoying and cumbersome to keep copying and pasting. What is eBay doing about this? 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Hi, replying to my own follow up question, I found the solution - don't post using Google Chrome! I simply switched to Firefox whenever I'm listing. It's been so annoying but I'm hoping that it doesn't give me the same problem in the long run. Hope it helps someone. Blessings!

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I'm using Firefox and just lost the descriptions for two items I had saved as drafts. Both complicated technical gadgets that it took me a long time to write detailed descriptions for -  and "pouf", just like that an hour of my life has been stolen from me. As a web developer I find this behaviour astonishing - it's not like it's hard to ensure that the submitted data is stored correctly, and this is a particularly egregious bug. And it's not the only bizarre issue I've had with eBay recently, I'm sad to say. Is that outsourced development I can smell? 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I've been having this issue for about 2 weeks and its taking up a lot of time during my busy Q4 sales.  It's disgusting how little ebay cares about this considering our sales are how they make money.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I'm having the same problem and I have been selling with eBay for more than 20 years.  I had a long break and have just started to sell again.  I really put a lot of effort into my listings so I'm really **bleep** off.  I also hate everyone else's crummy listings appearing at the bottom of my page.  I've been in touch with eBay today and yesterday with no solution. Not happy!!

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I saved my drafts but they've disappeared too!

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Sorry, but I've been using Firefox.  I might try another suggestion to disable extensions such as a

Adblocker.  These have been affecting other programs so might be worth a go.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply