cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined items showing 1 oz shipping weight Combined orders manage orders awaiting shipment

brian.t@ebay 

This is going to get a little complex so I will try to break this done by instance as there is a lot going on here.

I am having repeated issues were if a buyer purchases and pays for multiple items (more than 1 item) the shipping weight of the combined order defaults to 1 oz package when using bulk shipping for multiple orders. (See more detail below)

(I also mentioned in another thread that trying to combine multiple items from one buyer, purchased separately is throwing the "can't find a shipping service" error already)

Each package is set at a fixed base weight ( Some 8oz, some 5oz, some 3oz)

The packages are set as USPS First Class Mail shipping as the primary option and USPS Priority as secondary. 

I have noticed if I try to print the labels one by one , the order will show the correct(?) additive weight of all items within the order.  (which in reality is a little higher than actual weight due to each item having packaging/boxing included in its "stand alone" weight) 

1. Oddly the system defaults to USPS Media Mail as the shipping option which is frustrating to say the least and problematic at best. 

The main question is, why would such a restricted service be the default option displayed when it was never even offered as an option for shipping the item in the first place? 

2. If/when I try to use the Ebay bulk shipping option for multiple orders then just as an example  4 - 8oz items will show a combined weight of 1oz and NOT flag as an error. (Or any order that has more than one item that exceeds the maximum weight allowable for USPS First Class Mail (15.9oz/16 oz)  IF I remember correctly using the old system ("Classic label printing") - it would flag you to enter a weight/choose a different service not just revert to "yup everything checks out, ready to print 1oz" and give you a green check mark that everything is ok and ready to print when IT IS CLEARLY NOT.  

And I did double check how Classic Label Printing handles this issue and it does flag and prompt in RED "WEIGHT REQUIRED"  and as a safety and necessary feature - that  system will not let you print the label without addressing the wrong/empty weight - change shipping service (easily - I might add)  issue whereas the "new" updated system just bypasses this and allows you to make an easy mistake  and print a label with the wrong weight by accident/default.

As long as I am on a rant - Let me add one more frustration/shortcoming of the newer bulk shipping interface. 

The new ......

Manage orders awaiting shipment 

yeah that page above - not showing pertinent shipping location, addresses,zip codes to help in planning/packing orders is a total lack of foresight on a programmers part.

Having to use the drop down to view record in a new window or tab is simply horrendous and time consuming.

And I want to say that I appreciate everyone's time but please do not ask me to make a thread for each of these issues.

I am trying to help everyone out here by covering things that are upsetting about the new flow in one post.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Combined items showing 1 oz shipping weight Combined orders manage orders awaiting shipment

tyler@ebay 

Is no one else having these issues with the new shipping platform? 

@toomstoys wrote:

brian.t@ebay 

This is going to get a little complex so I will try to break this done by instance as there is a lot going on here.

I am having repeated issues were if a buyer purchases and pays for multiple items (more than 1 item) the shipping weight of the combined order defaults to 1 oz package when using bulk shipping for multiple orders. (See more detail below)

(I also mentioned in another thread that trying to combine multiple items from one buyer, purchased separately is throwing the "can't find a shipping service" error already)

Each package is set at a fixed base weight ( Some 8oz, some 5oz, some 3oz)

The packages are set as USPS First Class Mail shipping as the primary option and USPS Priority as secondary. 

I have noticed if I try to print the labels one by one , the order will show the correct(?) additive weight of all items within the order.  (which in reality is a little higher than actual weight due to each item having packaging/boxing included in its "stand alone" weight) 

1. Oddly the system defaults to USPS Media Mail as the shipping option which is frustrating to say the least and problematic at best. 

The main question is, why would such a restricted service be the default option displayed when it was never even offered as an option for shipping the item in the first place? 

2. If/when I try to use the Ebay bulk shipping option for multiple orders then just as an example  4 - 8oz items will show a combined weight of 1oz and NOT flag as an error. (Or any order that has more than one item that exceeds the maximum weight allowable for USPS First Class Mail (15.9oz/16 oz)  IF I remember correctly using the old system ("Classic label printing") - it would flag you to enter a weight/choose a different service not just revert to "yup everything checks out, ready to print 1oz" and give you a green check mark that everything is ok and ready to print when IT IS CLEARLY NOT.  

And I did double check how Classic Label Printing handles this issue and it does flag and prompt in RED "WEIGHT REQUIRED"  and as a safety and necessary feature - that  system will not let you print the label without addressing the wrong/empty weight - change shipping service (easily - I might add)  issue whereas the "new" updated system just bypasses this and allows you to make an easy mistake  and print a label with the wrong weight by accident/default.

As long as I am on a rant - Let me add one more frustration/shortcoming of the newer bulk shipping interface. 

The new ......

Manage orders awaiting shipment 

yeah that page above - not showing pertinent shipping location, addresses,zip codes to help in planning/packing orders is a total lack of foresight on a programmers part.

Having to use the drop down to view record in a new window or tab is simply horrendous and time consuming.

And I want to say that I appreciate everyone's time but please do not ask me to make a thread for each of these issues.

I am trying to help everyone out here by covering things that are upsetting about the new flow in one post.

tyler@ebay 

as 2 more examples : 

Regarding The 37179/37178 that I previously reported had the discount issue - when I just went to combine those it picked up the one item as 8 oz and then the other 3 items as 1 oz (when it should be 24oz / 1 lb 8oz)  for a system calculated total of 9 oz . That's just not right. 

The other 4 piece order that I stated (used as an example) that showed the proper order details but still no discount line mention totals at 1 oz again

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Combined items showing 1 oz shipping weight Combined orders manage orders awaiting shipment

@toomstoys   I noticed similar behavior on a recent order and just corrected everything and purchased the correct service.  Didn't think to follow up beyond that.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 3
latest reply